PDA

View Full Version : Are OEM NC tires any good? (Bridgestone*Potenza RE050A)

blackchicken
03-07-2012, 03:43 PM
I have the as-yet-unused OEM sport tires that came with my NC. On my NB I always ran the next level up of sport tire (e.g., Hankook RS-2, RS-3 or equivalent). Compared to that level of grip (Hankook RS-3, Dunlop Direzza Star Spec), will I be unhappy with the OEM Bridgestones? Should I sell them while they are still new and just buy RS-3 or Star Specs? :shrug:

If you think I will be unhappy with the Bridgestones, do you recommend the RS-3 or the Star Specs for a daily driver?

Any advice welcomed. :mrgreen:

phrenetiK
03-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Yes you will be unhappy with grip by far but also you have to realize with a 140 treadwear tire you'll be eating through them compared to a 360 or 400 treadwear tire.

Johnnie
03-07-2012, 09:56 PM
The RE050As have the advantage of already being installed on your car and paid for. Use 'em up, do some research and decide what you want further down the road. With a 140 treadwear rating, it shouldn't be too long before you're ready for new tires anyway.

What's your plan for the car? Autocross beast? Track tool? If you're not concerned about setting fast times on an autocross course, why not go with something less aggressive? (Something that gives good feedback, easy to recover, good in the rain, etc.) Your car already has more grip than you can legally use on the street.

My next set of street tires will not be another set of Star Specs or RS3s. I'll be saving those for competition and driving something less aggressive on the street.

To answer your question-- If I were choosing between Star Specs and RS3s for the street, I would go with the Dunlops. Opposite for strictly competition use.

psulja
03-07-2012, 10:01 PM
The RE050As have the advantage of already being installed on your car and paid for.

They are not currently on his car and are off the wheels because he has winter tires on. I think that is why he is asking if he should just sell those with 0km on them and just get something a bit stickier to start with.

Johnnie
03-07-2012, 11:36 PM
They are not currently on his car and are off the wheels because he has winter tires on. I think that is why he is asking if he should just sell those with 0km on them and just get something a bit stickier to start with.

Winter what now? We don't have those down here. :)

I guess if you can only use summer tires a couple weeks out of the year, go for the stickiest thing you can get your hands on. Star specs might be a better choice, as RS3s like it hot.

blackchicken
03-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

pass the peas - You make it sound like this is Antarctica. :lol: We had 17C today and spring feels like it is right around the corner if not already here, which is why I want to decide quickly whether I should sell the OEM tires for something more to my liking (I don't want to start driving on them and thus diminish their potential resale value). I have driven on RS2's as daily driver tires for years and years so I am a bit spoiled by that level of grip. Having said that, I daily drive the NC and do a lot of highway travel as well so I would take your advice and choose the Star Spec instead because of its reputed better rain traction.

phrenetic - So the RE050 have a super low treadwear rating of 140 *AND* terrible low grip? Sounds like a great tire! lol

If I don't go quite to the level of the Star Specs, what tire in the next performance class down (Tire Rack's "MaxPerformanceSummer") would you recommend? How about these couple of options I have "short-listed" as backup choices to the Bridgestone RE050's:
Hankook*Ventus V12 evo (215-45-17)
Continental*ExtremeContact DW (215-40-17)

I hear the Conti's tend to be pretty light which is good for unsprung weight and ride comfort. They are also under $100 each right now which is nice. The Kook V12 evo's are always a popular choice but the tread blocks seem fairly heavily siped so I am a bit leery, I worry they will feel squirmy?

Thoughts?

Johnnie
03-11-2012, 06:30 PM
I've driven the V-12 EVO. This is my choice for replacement street tires once the Star Specs are done. I hear good things about the Conti's wet weather performance, though.

urban
03-11-2012, 06:59 PM
o lord.
do you really need that much grip?
the RE050 is a very good street tire. unless your going for lap times , they will be fine.
the V12 isnt as good as they say , its not even in the same class as star specs. they have soft sidewalls.
unless you feel the need to spend some money and show up with 140tw tires then i would just use em.

Caoboy
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
The RE50 is a fine tire. I've tracked twice on them, and they feel good. I don't see why you need an extreme summer tire for a DD, unless you're going to be in the twisties a lot.