PDA

View Full Version : What Primer and paint do you recommend?

Tekel
03-19-2012, 10:55 AM
After looking through my options, I have decided to paint my 6ul's myself. I have never attempted a quality paint job so here is the work steps I was planning on taking.

Wheel: 6ul nickel
Strip current paint with aircraft stripper
Scuff with a green pad
Prime
Paint
2 stage aerosol can clear

So my question: What should I look for in a good primer and paint that can stand up to the wear and tear wheels get? I was planning on just using a standard duplicolor or rustolium primer, paint from a custom aerosol maker like automotivetouchup.com and a Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat Aerosol.

Let me know your thoughts! Like I said, I have never really painted anything with a multi-step process so let me know if I am on the right track! thanks!

lopeezy562
03-19-2012, 11:06 AM
dont do it lol...tryied this with my old 240sx, i regreted it...if i had to do it againid just save up a lil more money and get a real paint job.. thats just my opinion.

Tekel
03-19-2012, 11:27 AM
dont do it lol...tryied this with my old 240sx, i regreted it...if i had to do it againid just save up a lil more money and get a real paint job.. thats just my opinion.

Not many choices around here. Went to the 1 body and paint shop that does custom work and they were iffy about even painting wheels and then settled on quoting me $400. I laughed at them and left.

I<3flippyheadlights
03-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Just make sure to not powdercoat 6UL's if you do change your mind. I hear they don't do so well afterwards. Wish I could give you more help about what paint to choose. But, I will follow because I want to paint mine :ninja:

concealer404
03-19-2012, 12:29 PM
I think you might be in for an issue... Aren't the 6ULs in nickel finish actually nickel plated and NOT painted?

Tekel
03-19-2012, 12:36 PM
I think you might be in for an issue... Aren't the 6ULs in nickel finish actually nickel plated and NOT painted?

From 949 site:

Nickel painted, durable clear coated finish

concealer404
03-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Ah ok, carry on!

RyanxStorey
03-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Painting wheels is pretty simple. Take your time do a good job cleaning them sanding them. Don't rush and make it a weekend job.