PDA

View Full Version : Who's been to Japan?

minto
03-23-2012, 02:21 AM
Just wondered how many of you have been or lived there? Thought we could share stories, pics or secret finds :p

Iv been myself around 8 times now over a 6 year period. Longest stay was a month and a half. Been all around from Okinawa, Kagoshima, Osaka, Nara, Tokyo etc. I usually go in January for the Auto Salon but I missed this year due financial issues! (skint) :p

Was there in August past to drive in the G1GP at Ebisu. Which was my third adventure driving on that amazing mountain ! :D I'll be heading back next Feb I think for the usual antics.

Plan is to move over for good when I can afford it and have a business worthy of a transfer office so I can get a visa. :) My Japanese is also fluent :roll: (i wish) lol but I can get by! :p I usually tour people around though if anyone is keen some time!

George
03-23-2012, 04:35 AM
never been there, but I'm about to start learning Japanese this year and would like to get there some time next year or the one after so I'll keep you in mind lol

Phatmiata
03-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Stayed in Japan for two weeks back in 2000, hooked up with Turbo Magazine for the Tokyo Auto Salon Tour with some friends. We extended our visit as my buddy is Japanese so his cousin took us all over the place to check everything out. Stopped by a Mazdaspeed dealer (spent too much money there) but its pretty damn awesome. We also stopped by Mugen (my buddy is a die-hard Honda fan) that was pretty cool to actually see all the Mugen parts.
http://www.e-autosalon.net/tokyo/english/outline/index.html

I would like to return someday for the Karuizawa Roadster Meeting, that's on the bucket list. http://www.karuizawa-meeting.com/

I have some pictures (hardcopy) ill see if I can scan them and upload. If you do anything in your life, go visit Japan, its a great experience!

moerdogg
03-23-2012, 08:03 AM
I went for a week in... 2003. Holy crap, that was a long time ago! I had a friend who was in a study-abroad program in Kobe. I stayed in a capsule hotel, visited Osaka one day, and watched some nighttime drifting on the mountain above Kobe. Definitely a great experience, and Kobe is a neat city. Wasn't so much into the car culture at that point in my life (didn't even own a car yet), so I'd love to go back again and check out some of the awesome automotive events they have.

Grip Driver
03-23-2012, 11:03 PM
I spent two six month tours in Japan during the mid nineties while in the Marines. Most of my time was in Okinawa and Mt Fuji areas.

minto
03-27-2012, 08:17 AM
I spent two six month tours in Japan during the mid nineties while in the Marines. Most of my time was in Okinawa and Mt Fuji areas.

Yeah couldnt believe how many Y plates I seen in Okinawa! I didnt like that place tbh.. I just got stared at all the time. I was told it was due to American presence.

Shifto
03-27-2012, 11:49 AM
I've spent a few weeks in tokyo visting a friend. One of the best times I've had. I will probably be returning in the next year. Something about all you can eat shabu shabu and finishing the night with karaoke and all you can drink till the train starts up again that brings a little happiness to life.

Kolbotn
03-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Spendt 2 weeks there i november. Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto and Nihommatsu/ Ebisu for The autumn Matsuri. Loved it!

whaap
03-27-2012, 04:43 PM
I was stationed at Beppu, Kyushu for a year back in the '50s. It was a wonderful experiece, one I will always think fondly of.

RawRats
03-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Stationed there for two years, '74-'75. Yokota AFB. My son was born there. Loved it.

Hammi
05-06-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm planning a trip to Japan in October for about a week. Looking to go to Tokyo, Kyoto and maybe Osaka. Any of you guys got any "can't miss" advice.
Rich

Willywongka
05-06-2012, 05:00 PM
I was there in 2010 and 2011 to visit my gf that was teaching English (Jet) in Kagoshima (Kirishima) and visited neighboring cities and visited Tokyo. Love Japan, I would like to hit up some other prefectures next time and possibly hit up a few Eunos shops. What Part of Kagoshima were you in Minto?

-Will

DK Wolf
06-14-2012, 08:07 PM
I live in Okinawa... so if anyone heads over there.. I can offer ultra cheap on base hotels, along with cheap grocery shopping and stuff..

94R
06-14-2012, 11:40 PM
We were there for about a week in Dec. 2010. Mostly to take the kids to Disneyland. I was impressed with how clean and orderly it was in there. We also got to take the subway/train to places... My wife's cousin lives there, so he took us around by subway. Even though we were only there a few days and mostly to Disneyland. We loved our stay there and would like to go back when the kids are bigger to tour the country.

Muzdaman
07-10-2012, 04:29 AM
Ill be in Tokyo in October for 5 days. Really hoping to see some motor sport on the weekend of the 27th and 28th.
Any ideas?

smaeda
07-10-2012, 08:38 AM
I used to go every summer to visit family but haven't been for about 8 years now. Damn I need to go back!