PDA

View Full Version : Carbon build-up and seafoam advice

Frenchmanremy
04-04-2012, 09:35 AM
I was wondering how much carbon build-up our cars would develop after 50'000 Miles?
I know of civics that have used Seafoam products to clean the carbon build-up, only to find out that the carbon build-up was the only thing sealing the pistons, or keeping the head-gasket from leaking.

In this view, keeping this in mind, I don't want to worsen my engine.

Anyone used this? Any ideas?

WildCJ5
04-04-2012, 09:08 PM
I have done it with two NA's. One had 120,000 and the other at 196,000. In both cars the idle got smoother. Followed the directions on the can, used the cruise control vac like to do the top end. I also slowly ran a half gallon of distilled ice water through the same vac line.

Both of these cars got/get a lot of track-time and I change the oil once a month with whatever name brand Autozone has on sale. So did the seafoam make the difference or all the high rpm beating with frequent oil changes? Who knows, but I did have the vc off today and for having 200,000 it was really clean in there.

YMMV.

stormin'norman
04-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Try Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. Revlimiter should have a nice write up somewhere in his build thread or on his website. It's pretty amazing stuff.

Dooey
04-05-2012, 07:59 AM
I know many people that have done 3parts oil 1part kerosene "flushes." Just run your motor at idle for 10 minutes and then change the oil. Makes a pretty big difference. This was referred to me and others by metalman on Mx5atl.

Buddy of mine did it on his 197K 1.6 and another on his 155K 1.8 NA. I'm going to do it to my 170K NB.