PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Gold Class Wax is CRAP!!!

WolfTDI
04-22-2012, 05:45 PM
I bought this today and had to return it very shortly after. It goes on easy, comes off decently, but leaves a rough, powdery texture on the paint. I used microfiber towels, brushed cotton towels, and it made no difference. The wax wipes right off, but leaves a texture that feels like paint that is severely oxidized. Mothers cleaner wax and Zymol both took this rough crap off. This was all done after a fresh wash and clay bar procedure. I returned the Meguiars garbage and got another bottle of Zymol. All is good! I am officially finished trying Meguiars products. Barry Meguiar and his stupid smile can suck it!

Tkblazer
04-22-2012, 07:19 PM
I haven't used that stuff in 10 years, so many better products out there. I use opti-seal sealant when I'm lazy and do not want to spend the time to do multiple coats on a car since it just sprays on and does not have to buffed off. I really like the autoglym hd wax i picked up on clearance at pep boys, goes on easy and looks great afterwards. You just have to remember to use very little product when using a wax

revlimiter
04-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Some people hate it, but I really love Meguiars Tech Wax (2? the one on the shelf now days). It goes on easy, smells great, comes off even easier, and buffs to a fantastic finish. And it lasts about 2 months. And it's cheap and any store has it.

Love the stuff.

theothersawyer
04-22-2012, 08:24 PM
I love my Tech Wax 2.0! And like you said, it does smell good!

kung fu jesus
04-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Some waxes have to be used in a system to really be effective.

If you have a lot of oxidation or dirt in your paint, you can get results like you describe.

Junkman2008
04-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Some people hate it, but I really love Meguiars Tech Wax (2? the one on the shelf now days). It goes on easy, smells great, comes off even easier, and buffs to a fantastic finish. And it lasts about 2 months. And it's cheap and any store has it.

Love the stuff.

There's a big difference between Tech Wax and what the OP used.

Meguiar's has 2 different lines of products. There's their consumer junk that WolfTDI used and then there's their professional or Mirror Glaze line, which contains some excellent products. I use and recommend some of their Mirror Glaze products. If the front of the bottle doesn't say Mirror Glaze, then it is from their consumer line. If you want to evaluate their best stuff, make sure that it comes from their professional selection.

friday
04-25-2012, 12:36 PM
I use their gold class car wash soap. It seems to do a good enough job and can be purchased anywhere. Car soap has to be easy to buy. When it comes to waxes I am a bit hesitant to buy the stuff you find at autozone. I use the Klasse All in One and Sealant glaze combo. Super easy and really nice. I think I can apply the AIO in less than 20 min.

Mexican_Guy
04-26-2012, 04:29 PM
i got the same experiense too, i just hate it..

i use chemical guys butter wet wax, it works really nice

bigx5murf
04-26-2013, 01:32 PM
In my experience, high carnauaba based waxes just don't finish as slick as synthetic sealants.

nickpic83
04-27-2013, 06:57 AM
Use Adams polishes. They are great

DK Wolf
04-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Mothers.
I used it when I worked at Callaway, and we absolutely refused to work with anything else. Nothing else was as easy, or came out as beautiful as it did with Mothers.

I've used probably every major detail brand out there. And I will always use Mothers for everything. I use it on the Porsche, I used it on the FD (I had to have it shipped out here), and I plan on using it for my future vehicles.

I spent about 3 months or so with a couple guys from our shop when I worked at Callaway to find a decent detailer product. And we messed around with everything (we have to detail each vehicle before we ship it out to the customer) and Pete Callaway is anal. We always got the best results with Mothers, throw in a lamb skin rag and a couple high quality microfiber towellets and you're in business.

bigx5murf
05-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Surprised tho hear the praise for mother's. I've never been terribly impressed with any of their products. That's not saying some weren't quite good. Just nothing really stood out enough to make it memorable . I did love their metal Polish. Their spray waxes didn't flash as well as others so needed a bit more buffing, and they either smell like cinnamon or baby oil. The soap was soso. Their clay bar seems to clay marr more easily than the griots I usually used.

Junkman2008
05-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Surprised tho hear the praise for mother's. I've never been terribly impressed with any of their products. That's not saying some weren't quite good. Just nothing really stood out enough to make it memorable . I did love their metal Polish. Their spray waxes didn't flash as well as others so needed a bit more buffing, and they either smell like cinnamon or baby oil. The soap was soso. Their clay bar seems to clay marr more easily than the griots I usually used.

Two things. All clay legally sold in the USA at this time is made by ONE company (Auto Wax Company (http://www.claymagic.net/news.htm), also known as Clay Magic). Anyone else caught selling clay of any other production has had their panties sued off of them and lost. Thus, all the clay you buy in America is rebranded Clay magic and is all the same clay. So no one has better clay than anyone else.

Mother's Metal Polish is actually some good stuff. I don't know if they make it or not but it does work as advertised. Just don't get it on any other part of your car and leave it there for any significant time. You will catch hell trying to remove it.

Johnnie
05-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Mother's Metal Polish is actually some good stuff. I don't know if they make it or not but it does work as advertised. Just don't get it on any other part of your car and leave it there for any significant time. You will catch hell trying to remove it.

Truth.

bigx5murf
05-06-2013, 03:50 AM
I believe clay magic's patent had run out already. I've got mother's and griot's clay on hand. They both look the same, but the griot's stuff is noticably softer, and tends to glide better as in it's not as grabby.

I've been thinking of picking up some of the synthetic stuff, but am hearing really mixed feedback on it.

Junkman2008
05-06-2013, 08:55 AM
I believe clay magic's patent had run out already.

You need to do some research because that patent has definitely NOT ran out. USPTO.GOV is your friend.

bigx5murf
05-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Either way, I've tried multiple different clays side by side. They're NOT all created equal.

Junkman2008
05-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Either way, I've tried multiple different clays side by side. They're NOT all created equal.

If all the clay you bought was made in America, it was all the same. Now if you're getting your clay illegally, that's your issue. The patent house doesn't lie. All you have to do is look it up. It's not my word, it's the U.S. government's word. They would know since they issue the patents.

bigx5murf
05-07-2013, 12:11 AM
I've had some time to look through the patents. They're actually Japanese it seems, and there's multiple patents, one ran out earlier this year.

Even if they are all from the same place, I'm betting there's different grades of the stuff. That would explain inconsistencies of clay from different labels.

Junkman2008
05-07-2013, 12:26 AM
I've had some time to look through the patents. They're actually Japanese it seems, and there's multiple patents, one ran out earlier this year.

Even if they are all from the same place, I'm betting there's different grades of the stuff. That would explain inconsistencies of clay from different labels.

GRADES are not what I'm talking about. There are 3 different grades. Consumer grade clay, which is what you find over the counter. Medium and aggressive grade clays are only found at body shop supply outlets or similar businesses. So yes, the grades are different but the MANUFACTURER who owns the patent in the USA is Auto Wax.

bigx5murf
05-07-2013, 02:26 AM
Then at the very least i find the grade of clay mother's uses its too aggressive. It catches too easily, smudges more, and marrs.

Junkman2008
05-07-2013, 02:52 AM
The only clay that Mother's sells is consumer grade.

I've been doing this since before clay was invented and have used my fair share of various grades of clay. In all my travels, I have not noticed any difference between the same grade of clay offered by different companies. Clay is going to perform differently on different surfaces because of the amount of contamination present. Had you tried various clay brands on the SAME car, that would be one thing but to claim that one brand mars more than another means that you were either using two different grades of clay or you're imagining things.

bigx5murf
05-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Yes I have tried both on the SAME car. A first gen NA miata, the owner was working with me to speed things along. Single stage paint, way softer stuff. He noticed it too, we swapped clays with each other back and forth a few times to confirm.

Mother's clay more aggressive than griot's clay. Both pieces were new when we began, and both colored a very similiar yellow. By the time we were done, the griots piece was a darker yellow, while the mother's pieces seemed to be taking in some red (the paint color).

Junkman2008
05-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Well, I know for a fact that all clay made and sold in the USA is the same. I don't know what else to tell you as the links that I provided back that up.