PDA

View Full Version : I'm all shook up

djsqiigles
05-02-2012, 03:38 PM
So from 59mph and up I get a shutter that runs through the car. Its not constant, it goes *shutter, shutter shutter*-----*shutter, shutter shutter*---*shutter, shutter shutter*. I thought it was just unbalanced wheels so I got that redone cause it been a few thousand miles and some drifting. Any ideas? Maybe I need hubcentric rings.

Thanks

kung fu jesus
05-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Sounds like cowl shake. Is it worse top up or top down?

concealer404
05-02-2012, 04:39 PM
So from 59mph and up I get a shutter that runs through the car. Its not constant, it goes *shutter, shutter shutter*-----*shutter, shutter shutter*---*shutter, shutter shutter*. I thought it was just unbalanced wheels so I got that redone cause it been a few thousand miles and some drifting. Any ideas? Maybe I need hubcentric rings.

Thanks

I have this, too. Goes away again at 70mph or faster.

I have no idea what it is, but it drives me INSANE.

adamvanxxx
05-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Had it. Got a HT, don't have it.

kung fu jesus
05-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Door bars.

djsqiigles
05-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Damn piles of jap crap cars.

RyanxStorey
05-02-2012, 05:45 PM
My cars shudders sometimes when I hit boost.

psulja
05-02-2012, 06:09 PM
^ That's just the feeling of your car satisfying itself...

I had the same thing, put on my hardtop last night and now it's gone.

revlimiter
05-02-2012, 06:14 PM
It's wheel/tire balance. How do people not know this? 65mph shake (whether it's 59 or 70) is ALWAYS due to your wheels.

First make sure the wheels are mounted perfect. PERFECT. Hubcentric rings help, but a skilled hand will always win out. Jack up the car and take the wheels off. Then put them back on. Be very careful. Get them perfectly centered on the lugs. Tighten the nuts as much as possible with the wheels in the air. Then lower it to the ground slowly. When the tire kisses pavement, torque to 80 ft/lbs.

If that doesn't help, it's tire balance. Take it again and again and get it rebalanced. A Miata can shake if a single tire is only 1/4 ounce off.

If the steering wheel shakes, it's your front tires. If you feel the shake in your seat, it's the rear. If the whole car seems to shake, it's also probably the rear.

djsqiigles
05-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Giving hubcentric rings a shot. Last night when I was trouble shooting I torqued each wheel twice, went for a drive and retorqued. Drove again and did it again, it got a lil better. Rings might be the ticket and some bracing.

revlimiter
05-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Look on Ebay. Discount Tire sells on there. All various sizes. I got my Star Shark rings from them.

Miata = 54.1 hub bore.

djsqiigles
05-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Ya I just bought those before you mentioned it. GET OUT OF MY HEAD REV AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

bokehmon
05-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Giving hubcentric rings a shot. Last night when I was trouble shooting I torqued each wheel twice, went for a drive and retorqued. Drove again and did it again, it got a lil better. Rings might be the ticket and some bracing.

Paul, make sure you torque the wheels when cold! (ie: not after a hard drift/ drive.)

Unlikely, but check wheel bearings?

urban
05-03-2012, 11:22 AM
its tires . and drifting doesnt help the fronts either.
wheel balance , tire condition , and even the alignment give the shudder effect.

as i was driving home from LV, i felt some shudder from the front , but after about an hour it finally started to go away.
the fronts had warmed up and scrubbed off some uneven wear.

WASABI
05-03-2012, 12:21 PM
It's wheel/tire balance. How do people not know this? 65mph shake (whether it's 59 or 70) is ALWAYS due to your wheels. ...A Miata can shake if a single tire is only 1/4 ounce off.

If the steering wheel shakes, it's your front tires. If you feel the shake in your seat, it's the rear. If the whole car seems to shake, it's also probably the rear.

I have a question about the bushings. If the car has over 100,000 miles aren't the bushings also in question? I had a severely scalloped tire on my driver's front, because the bushings had gone. This made the car shake as well.

shane
05-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Yeah make sure you get them balanced on a Hunter GSP9700 and wheel shake should vanish :D

djsqiigles
05-03-2012, 07:07 PM
its tires . and drifting doesnt help the fronts either.
wheel balance , tire condition , and even the alignment give the shudder effect.

as i was driving home from LV, i felt some shudder from the front , but after about an hour it finally started to go away.
the fronts had warmed up and scrubbed off some uneven wear.

*wirtes notes* drive faster and turn aggressively on the freeway to scrub tires.* Thanks!

djsqiigles
05-17-2012, 01:17 AM
The hubcentric rings amplified the shake. I stiffened up the suspension and that helped quite a bit. Suspecting alignment or tires are just stupid cambers for jdm tight drift racing......MORE BRACES!

Also I have a new bushing set that needs installing...

friday
05-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Mine was really bad because the front wheel bearing were going bad. Now mine sorta sucks because my tires are quite worn. These cars are really sensitive to vibrations. Bracing will help.

djsqiigles
05-28-2012, 02:41 PM
swapped my rear wheels back to their original sides, everything is fine now...cars are stupid lol