PDA

View Full Version : Jackson racing supercharger general questions.

MiataDS
05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Hi guys I have a JRSC for 1.6 miata. I have 1.8 injectors right now but was wondering if I should get bigger injectors. Should I upgrade to forged internals or will stock internals do, a lot of people are telling me mixed suggestions. I want around 6-8 psi. Should I use power card, fpr, or megasquirt. My main goal is mostly reliability my engine has 160k miles and runs strong. Just wanted your guys opinions.

Thanks for all the info.

Agent☣Orange
05-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Just install the SC with a simple PowerCard and leave everything else alone.

MiataDS
05-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Alright thanks, should I get a tune before I install my SC cause I'm running rich or would Powercard take care of that.

Thanks for all the information.

Agent☣Orange
05-03-2012, 06:43 PM
A tune wouldn't hurt along with some new NGKs a range cooler, an oil change, new belts and fuel filter. A PC will adjust timing and fuel when needed but it is much better to run slightly rich than dangerously lean.

The JRSC is a simple power adder and will not benefit from larger injectors, forged rods and all the other performance add ons that are really designed for 250hp+ Miatas. You said your priority is reliability. That JRSC is a solid lil performer that can run all day at 5lbs, no other mods needed on the motor.

You could buy all the goblygook (rods, IC, stanalone ECU, fuel pump, exhaust etc) but your return on investment is minimal and you'll wish you went with an MP62 or turbo to begin with.

kung fu jesus
05-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Yellow is pretty spot on.

The Miata motors were originally engineered as turbo motors, so what you have in your 1.6 is the same as that in the turbocharged Ford Capri and turbocharged 323 GTX, but with slightly higher compression pistons.

I can tell you from experience these engines can handle a good amount of boost. My engine has 167xxx miles on the bottom end and it has been turboed twice, up to 15psi and later supercharged at 6psi. The key factor is in two parts; how well maintained the motor is, and how well tuned the motor is while force fed.

The superchargers are easy to manage with the kludges like AFPRs and timing controls. I have run an AFPR and Bipes timing box on low boost applications. I have run a Link and Megasquirt for high boost and n/a. A standalone ECU steepens the learning curve, but allows better features and controls. You need to decide which fits your apptitude and understanding best.

Start with the basics. Make sure your car is up to date on seals, belts, etc. Going back in to do them after adding a SC just makes it harder.

The rest is all research and is very well documented on the intertoobz.
Good luck!

MiataDS
05-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Alright thanks for all the info!