PDA

View Full Version : Factory cruise control switch to toggle switch

phantomxrider
05-16-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm trying to replace my factory cruise control switch with a simple toggle switch, which has two terminals on the back. I was assuming the back of the factory switch would be a simple on/off switch but that's not the case. Anyways I was wondering if there'd be any help out there with me doing this. I found a wiring diagram (http://www.madracki.com/miata/images/wiring/90diag.pdf) (located in 4(C-E 15), page 6 of the document) but I'm not too sure as to what wire I should be splicing the toggle into if this is even possible. Thanks in advance.

revlimiter
05-16-2012, 05:59 PM
You're looking at the Cruise Main switch on page 6. Grid C-15?

It has a light and a switch. It looks like you're interested in the red wire and black wire. Black is ground and red is the switch. It looks like all the switch does is pull ground. A regular SPST switch with red on one side and a ground wire on the other should work fine. Probably.

phantomxrider
05-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks! But the problem is that there's about 5 different wires. Two of which are to the light, so I don't care about them. However one goes to the "meter fuse" and the other goes to ground. I'm starting to just say fuggit though and go for just throwing a compass in there or something. I just hate the placement of the cruise switch,

jnshk
05-19-2012, 12:37 AM
I could have sworn I had replied in this thread, but apparently it was on an other forum. :D

Disclaimer: I am not a professional (or even amateur) electrical engineer

If I'm reading this diagram correctly, you need to connect the (12v+) to the [YEL w/ BLK] (to cruise module) to each end of the switch. You may also need to connect the [BLK w/ YEL] (12v+) to the [RED] (also to cruise module), but I think that it needs to be done with a switching relay.

In other words:
[BLK w/ YEL] --> Pin 30 on 5-pin relay
[YEL w/ BLK] --> Pin 87 on 5-pin relay
[RED] --> Pin 87a on 5-pin relay
Fused 12v+IGN --> Pin 85 on 5-pin relay
Pin1 on toggle switch --> Pin 86 on 5-pin relay
Pin2 on toggle switch --> chassis ground

[B]UPDATE - BETTER IDEA: And an alternate/simple method that I thought of while at work would be to use a 3-pin ON-ON toggle switch. Wire up the [BLK w/ YEL] to the center pin, [YEL w/ BLK] to the normally open pin, and [RED] to the normally closed pin. Much simpler and easier than a relay and it should provide the same function.

But... once again I am not an electrical engineer, so try this at your own risk.