PDA

View Full Version : MP3 players and Head Units

kung fu jesus
05-31-2012, 03:32 PM
I have an older HU with an iPod cable I ran from the back of the unit to the passenger cabin. It's alright, it works. When Apple changed the voltage on their socket, I had to get an adapter to work with my iPod Touch. That adapter is very sensitive and doesn't lock to the iPod.

I have been thinking of upgrading to a new HU.

Because I already have a smartphone, it would be really convenient to charge the phone and play music off it at the same time.

I am looking for opinions of using one device for music, telephone, etc. versus two separate devices like I do now. I am looking for pitfalls, disadvantages and advantages besides those above.

Agent☣Orange
05-31-2012, 04:06 PM
What smartphone do you have? The reason I ask is because so many aftermarket head units tout iPhone/iPod connectivity.

kung fu jesus
05-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Android. HTC EVO, probably moving to a Droid Maxx.

I was thinking about this (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX50BT/JVC-KD-X50BT.html). Watch the videos about the phone integration, using the screen on the phone to swipe through songs. I remember seeing this at CES this year.

I think it would work great with the customized phone mount in my car:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/force_mccocken/2011-04-28184725.jpg

If I needed more memory, I would just use a thumbdrive.

Agent☣Orange
05-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Your link doesn't work but here it is at Sonic Electronix:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_42331_JVC-KD-X50BT.html

I think that's an excellent choice, damn!

It is much like my Kenwood KIV BT901 in terms of functionality.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33453_Kenwood-KIV-BT901.html

Mine is really dedicated to iPhone/iPod in that it can both recharge my idevice and access the whole collection of music, video and podcasts from the head unit. My iWhatever can hide in the center console where I ran the cable although I could move it to a vent like yours but no reason to right now.

So I guess my question is: do you want to contol your head unit from your phone or vice versa?

kung fu jesus
05-31-2012, 06:03 PM
The first HU you linked to is practically the same as the one I did.

I have no center console (Nakamae) and no cubby in the dash.

The HU doesn't have to control the radio, but if it does and charges the phone, great.

I use my phone a lot for navigation, too.

I only have two speakers, but am considering replacing them and *maybe* getting an NB windblocker with the speakers in it to augment the sound.

Tkblazer
06-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Steve, I have the JVC head unit and the same HTC evo phone. The combination work great together and it is just what I have been looking for. I use the front usb port for the Bluetooth dongle and I have an Ipod plugged into the rear usb port. Something to mention since you use navigation a lot, the voice prompts only play on the car speakers when you are using the bluetooth input on the head unit. So, you will have to either be listening to pandora or music stored on your phone.

In regards to speakers, I have two alpine type s speakers in the doors powered by a used alpine two channel amp I bought off ebay for $50. This setup plays nice and loud even at highway speeds with the top down.

kung fu jesus
06-01-2012, 02:43 PM
AWESOME.

I am a little confused, though. I use the navigation app on my phone. Can I use that HU to play music off the phone while I use the nav app? I am ok with keeping the iPod, I'll just relocate it to the glovebox.

Do you run the ipod on bluetooth or straight off a tether connected to the HU?

I suppose I could use the tether out the back of the radio for the iPod. I hardly ever remove it from the car anyways. I could connect the phone to the HU off the usb for charging.

Does pandora work on the phone on usb or on bluetooth?

What I REALLY don't like is charging the phone off the 12v outlet. I hit it with my knee a bit. I figured if I could just integrate the phone a bit more, now that there seems to be more available for androids.

An HU with BT and a microphone also kills another bird. I use a clip-on BT set on my visor, but it doesn't work well with the visor OR the car (it picks up too much background noise). I am used to and prefer to use handsfree BT devices in the car. NC doesn't require it, but it's just safer. If I am not connected to a BT set for the phone in the car, I refuse to answer it.

kung fu jesus
06-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Anyone have preference or opinions of component vrs two-way speakers?

jux
06-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Generally, you'll get better sound from components than from 2-way speakers (especially those of the traditional, coaxial design). Either way, please consider a small amp to power them; distortion is a speaker killer, and clean sound from an amp will add to the longevity of your chosen speakers. If you don't want to do putting extra holes in your door panels, consider looking at brands like CDT and others that offer a "convertible" component setup, where the tweeter mounts over the mid-woofer. Nifty stuff, though I imagine it would technically break up the midrange sound waves...but whatever.

I prefer components in a closed-cabin vehicle. Given the general amount of noise in my Miata(s) and the sources of the various noises (tires, wind, rattles from wherever), I'm not inclined to do much to suppress the added noise to improve the cabin. As such, I went the semi-cheap route and stuck with what I'd consider some very nice Focal 2-way speakers. They sound great imho, even if I don't have an amp on 'em.

Tkblazer
06-01-2012, 11:53 PM
I am a little confused, though. I use the navigation app on my phone. Can I use that HU to play music off the phone while I use the nav app? I am ok with keeping the iPod, I'll just relocate it to the glovebox.

Sorry to confuse you. There are four sources to play music from: radio, ipod, aux and bluetooth. I have found that it is easier to play music off your phone using bluetooth since it is one less cable to have to hook up to your phone and radio. You could however use the front USB port to charge your phone. Through the bluetooth connection, you can stream mp3 music stored on your phone, listen to Pandora and hear turn by turn directions from navigation.

Do you run the ipod on bluetooth or straight off a tether connected to the HU?

If you have an ipod, you simply use the factory ipod usb cable and you can connect it to either front or rear usb port. Pick one since the other usb port will need to house the bluetooth dongle.

Does pandora work on the phone on usb or on bluetooth?

through bluetooth, however I have not tried using it through the AUX connection

What I REALLY don't like is charging the phone off the 12v outlet. I hit it with my knee a bit. I figured if I could just integrate the phone a bit more, now that there seems to be more available for androids.

After reading this, it looks like you may have to use the front usb port to charge. I haven't tried using a usb hub to split the power but it may be possible so you can keep the bluetooth dongle up front and charge the phone from the same front usb port.

An HU with BT and a microphone also kills another bird. I use a clip-on BT set on my visor, but it doesn't work well with the visor OR the car (it picks up too much background noise). I am used to and prefer to use handsfree BT devices in the car. NC doesn't require it, but it's just safer. If I am not connected to a BT set for the phone in the car, I refuse to answer it.[/QUOTE]

the JVC comes with its own BT microphone

kung fu jesus
06-02-2012, 06:20 AM
Thanks!

So, forgive me here, but you need a USB dongle to use BT on this HU? BT isn't built in?

kung fu jesus
06-02-2012, 06:32 AM
OH! This picture cleared it up. I misunderstood!

I did a little research on this, thought it through a little more. I understand the reply now. :)

In that research I came across a thread about this HU somewhere else:

I did some test on behalf of JVC to test USB hub on Rear USB port. I run 20 different test cases with different scenarios, and everything works flawlessly.

I have tested the USB hub in rear USB port. I run JVC's rear USB cable to my gloves compartment. Then attached USB hub with 4 ports. In one port I have BT adapter came with the receiver and in second port I have attached USB flash drive with lots of music files.

When you turn on Car receiver, it shows USB Rear and BT Rear under Sources.
It plays music from the USB flash drive and all BT functionality(Talk, Stream music, dial call from Phone, dial call from receiver,etc) works as advertise.

Now i can avoid cable cluster in front, and use BT and USB music player from my Glove compartment.

I am not sure what's not working that JVC has to advertise this unit as USB hub not supported.

This was good news to read! I think If I split the rear USB, I could run the iPod, phone and BT dongle on it, run a micro USB line through the centerstack for charging the phone while in the cradle. I suppose I could also make a USB port integrated into the centerstack, instead. I need to think this through a bit...

kung fu jesus
06-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Aaaaand an update...

I ordered the radio from Crutchfield. I found a promo code for $20 off 100 or more (enter 3A171 at checkout). The radio was already on sale for $99.99, so I added speaker baffles for $7.

The total came to $87 shipped.

I am looking at Polk 651 (not the 651S) and an MB Quart 2 channel amp (2 x 60 at 4 ohms). I think I will have refreshed my stereo quite well for about $200 is I pull the trigger on the rest.

Any recommendations on a good, small 2 channel amp? The RMS on the 651 is 100w, peak at 200w. I usually like the peak to be at least 3x the output of the signal.

Agent☣Orange
06-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Stick with a quality amp and you can't go wrong. You'll probably want something in the 75w-150w RMS range and the price goes up depending on power. Don't fall for cheap amp claims of 1000w max. You may cinsider a 4-channel amp to start with because you might want to add rear speakers later, or, the rear channels may be combined dor a future sub someday. I just mean don't lock yourself out of future expandability.

kung fu jesus
06-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Good points. Thank you!

At what power range do I need to be concerned about capacitors? I don't want this to get heavy.

Agent☣Orange
06-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Can of worms that needs its own thread. Personally, I don't believe in them for our simple setups.

I should have added in my last post to match your speakers to your amp. For instance, speakers that are rated at 75w RMS minimum shouldn't be paired with an amp the puts out only 35w RMS. Focus on RMS figures and disregard Max.

kung fu jesus
06-02-2012, 02:45 PM
I decided to stay with a 2 channel. JVC, 100w rms @4 ohm. should work well with the polks. $75.

Tkblazer
06-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Sounds like a nice setup you will have Steve! You will love the sound and volume

kung fu jesus
06-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the input and help, man!

I've been rolling on an older, clunky setup for about 5 years. I grew used to a tinny sound since removing the seats with headrest speakers. I don't want to add a boomin' system, but some thing with better definition and clarity would be nice. I never take off the hardtop and I'm reinstalling the AC, so I am sort of reversing my track-style a little. Adding something that works better with the technology I use was the overall goal. I doubt I will add rear speakers. If I add anything, it may be a small, self-powered sub.

I am now looking at Yellow's write up on adding power to the center console of an NB for my wifes car and thinking about adding something similar to the blank under my radio. Maybe panel-mounted USB ports. One for charging, one for connecting to my Megasquirt (when I get it fixed), maybe one that connects back to the radio as another input on a USB splitter back there.

Agent☣Orange
06-02-2012, 09:14 PM
You're going to love the new sound. Congrats on your upgrades. Make sure to break your new speakers in gradually.

I like your ideas about USB ports. My stereo has a USB input too and I can connect a USB hub/ card reader which I was going to put in the center console but ended up going in the glovebox. My iPhone/iPod cable in the arm rest cubby actually plugs into this but I didn't mention it in my write up (http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?1855-A-more-useful-center-console-(DIY-power-amp-light)). Your new stereo can probably do this too.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/YellowYata/Stereo%20and%20sound%20damper%20and%20heat%20insul ation/71c36433.jpg

As for a USB connection to your Megasquirt, ILMotorsport sells this cool little insert that goes into a standard Miata switch hole. In my case, I took out the passenger airbag switch in my NB and replaced it with a UK dual switch panel and this is occupying on of the two holes. Despite all the iWhatever connectivity, I've pretty much put thousands of my tunes onto a mini 16Bg flash drive that sits in there and I pretty much stopped using my iPod in the arm rest console.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/YellowYata/Stereo%20and%20sound%20damper%20and%20heat%20insul ation/44952f3b.jpg

kung fu jesus
06-02-2012, 09:30 PM
My wife's car is a hot mess. It's a 10ae with the Bose system and it has issues. She prefers to thumb through her iPod to find songs, plus she uses an FM-modulated adapter for it. Add in a cellphone charger and a windshield mounted GPS, don't forget the 3x 12v outlet, it's a friggen' wire nightmare.

Grumpy
06-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Steve, it's funny you should link to that unit, that's what I have in mine, and love it. I was wary about putting the bluetooth dongle in the front,(theft worries, stupid, i guess, but that's me) so mine is still on the rear input. I stream the music from the phone 90% of the time. While BT streaming the music, you can simultaneously have your phone's navigation running. It doesn't pause the music when giving the directions though.
When I need to charge the phone, I end up charging from the 12v socket, only because I had a charger already, and it's located mostly out of my way.
I don't believe you can play music from a plug in ipod, and stream navigation from phone simultaneously though.
I located the BT mic just above the instrument cluster, I attached it with velcro to the underside of the cluster hood. Even with the top down I can be heard, tho I tend to put the windows up when I need to talk on the phone.
I've not used the pandora app, so I can't respond to that.

Duh, didn't even see the second page before I entered all that.. you're gonna love the JVC.

kung fu jesus
06-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks, Charlie! That is great input!

The radio arrived yesterday. The speakers and amp should be here early next week. I am going to try to install my AC over the weekend and do the sound the following weekend.

I am looking into components to install a USB charging port on the centerstack for the phone. I hope to have 2 ports, one for the phone, one for whatever. I may mount the MS port on the blank on the right side of the centerstack.

I am also looking at making a aux-input on Tina's Bose system in place of the cassette plug and route the cable through the tunnel, turning her ashtray into a docking station for her iPod.

KAL
06-08-2012, 02:51 AM
Ha! I'm going to install this badboy soon! The Model 342. I'll hook it up to a small amp together with line-in from my phone, hidden in the glovebox or arm-rest. Or maybe i'll stick to casettes. Kill 'em all on tape - hell yes :slayer:

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z464/Rune96/DSC_00081.jpg

Agent☣Orange
06-08-2012, 08:29 AM
KAL, I have a couple 8-Tracks in the attic if you want to upgrade to the 70s.

KFJ, are you replacing stock speakers? I'm just asking to check if you gou speaker adpters for the doors. Also, I don't know if you've considered it but a little sound damper in the doors, even if it just in the speaker area will really help with the quality of sound.

kung fu jesus
06-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Yes. I got some waterproof speaker baffles I will modify to act as dampers. The speakers will fit in the doors no problem. The amp arrived today. I am gathering the hardware needed to do this. I already have 8 awg wire for the + and -. I ordered AGU fuse, 50 ft of 12 awg speaker wire, triple shielded RCA cables, and a USB hub to put in the glovebox. The amp will be sending 100 watts at 4 ohms to each speaker, so I'm pretty excited.

kung fu jesus
06-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Well, the radio is in!

I fished new speaker wire into the doors. Holy BALLS! It put up a fight on the first door, the second one was easy. I used 12 gauge wire, which has a REALLY thick insulation so it is like 10 gauge, really. I put in the speakers, used the modified baffles to insulate them to the doors. I strung the wires, the triple-shielded RCA cable for the amp and wrapped of the OEM speaker wires in the doors. Also ran the microphone for the BT to the steering column. I tested the radio, no sound though because the amp isn't in yet. The iPod works, charges and registers, the HU recognizes the BT dongle, too. I set the HU's color to match the dash lights and dimmed them.

I soldered the wiring harness to the new radio, just used the old Crutchfield PnP harness from the radio already in there. I also ran the 8 gauge wire through the trunk for the amp.

Tomorrow, I install the amp! I am going to mount it behind the passenger seat on the rear bulkhead. The Nakamae console makes running wires along the tunnel pretty easy.

So, now I just need to connect the 12v lead for the amp to a lug, add AGU in-line fuse, run the ground (8 awg), connect the speaker wires, remote on wire, 12v, and RCA cables then mount the amp.

I can't wait to hear this!

Agent☣Orange
06-14-2012, 05:24 PM
That's great! Can't wait to see a few picts. Remember to break your new speakers in gradually.

kung fu jesus
06-14-2012, 05:36 PM
I will try to get a few! Will do on the speakers, too.

Kind of amazing thing... I sourced everything from Amazon. I cross-referenced reviews between there, Crutchfield and a few audio forums found on Google. Also used some info off M.n. The 8AWG wire I bought at Lowes along with some connectors. So far, it has totaled about $250.

kung fu jesus
06-14-2012, 07:13 PM
So, I got anxious and laid in the ground, 12v, AGU, and connected everything to the amp.

Cued up some early Black Keys, then some Marley. Fuck. Yeah.
I am giddy because it works so well. :)

Fired up the car, turned on the AC, NO_WHINE_AT_ALL.

Tomorrow I will mount the amp and tidy up the wires.

Yellow - what's the break in procedure for speakers? I want to break them in and set the gain.

Agent☣Orange
06-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Oh, it's just listening at a normal, moderate level for a couple hours. They're not a big sub you gotta season. Basically, don't crank 'em up full blast immediately after installing the amp. Probably just superstition but that's how I've always done it....get the speaker coils nice n warm and the surround nice and pliable.

Oh, you're more likely to hear whine in an amped system than an unamped system but so far so good. If you do hear anything, just double check your grounds. Sounds like you have it in the bag though so I bet everything will be great.

Sure makes one kick himself for not upgrading their sound earlier, huh?

Tkblazer
06-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Killer setup for only $250, that's what a lot of head units go for these days

kung fu jesus
06-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback on the HU, TK!

I have spent about 3 hours in the car today. No whine at at all. NONE. I am very pleased with the results.

Tkblazer
06-16-2012, 02:24 PM
I think you only get whine when you run the power cable for the amp in close proximity to the audio line outs from the head unit. Not really a problem in our cars sincethe battery is in the trunk.

kung fu jesus
06-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I read that. The amp has them on opposite sides of each other.

I also used an RCA cable with the most shielding I could find, within reason.

kung fu jesus
06-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Here are some links to the equipment I bought from Amazon:

Scosche reVo6 Revo 6-Feet 2-Channel Audio Cable Twisted Pair with Molded Ends (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TKWTZO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01)

This cable is beefy. The shielding is thick and the low profile ends are nice for the compact area behind the radio. I mounted my amp behind the passenger seat. If you mount yours in the trunk, you're probably going to want a 9 or 12 foot version, both are available.

12 Gauge 50 Feet Speaker Wire (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JSMBZE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02)
This was a pleasant surprise. I took a gamble on the reviews and the price is very good. The OEM wires are 20 or 22 gauge, not really safe or conducive for sending 100 watts through them. Hell, even 20 watts is probably pushing them, especially at their age (20 years old in my case). The insulation on this new wire is THICK and the copper content is very high. I know most people won't run new wires, but I recommend it. I fished them through the doors in the factory grommets at the hinges. I ran them to the center stack on the dashboard, along the top of the tunnel, to the amp. I used maybe 18-20 feet of this, so I have some left over if I decide to add a rear set at some point or whatever.

Scosche EAFH Single AGU Fuse Holder (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KIV236/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i03)
Like many others available. Easy to install. I placed this about 6-8" forward of the battery's positive terminal. I used 8 gauge copper wire for the ground and the 12v source. I bought that at Lowes. I needed 5-6 feet for the 12v, 1 foot for the ground. My amp required a 30a fuse, so I bought a packet of AGU fuses off Amazon too.

Polk Audio DB651 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0PF9G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00)
Not too bad for entry/medium level speakers. They each take the amp's 100watts/channel really well. Had to drill four holes in the doors where the old ones were, no big deal. They come with a nice foam rind to insulate them from the door (I used something else). The pivoting tweeters are nice. Similar to the R-F units they replaced. Nice, crisp sound, handle the bass on the music I listen to well. They AREN'T thumpers.

I bought a USB hub, but it isn't 2.1a compatible. Meh. I'll try to find one later.

In the meantime, I have the BT dongle in the front, the iPod touch in the rear. The menu options for the iPod folders are easy to navigate. Haven't used the BT for calls yet, but my HTC Evo connected to it fine. I'm a little ambivalent on the JVC app for the HU, but it's neat. I suspect updates for it will improve it, but I can see the song info on my phone and flip through songs and iPod folders using gestures on the phone's touchscreen.

I mounted the BT mic to the top of the square-ish steering column cover, so it points right at me. The HU has adjustable settings for the mic for noise cancellation and volume.

kung fu jesus
06-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Some pics:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/force_mccocken/IMAG0735.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/force_mccocken/IMAG0726.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/force_mccocken/IMAG0727.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/force_mccocken/IMAG0728.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/force_mccocken/IMAG0729.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/force_mccocken/IMAG0733.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/force_mccocken/IMAG0732.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/force_mccocken/IMAG0731.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/force_mccocken/IMAG0734.jpg

I am going to try to get some of the wires under the console and I need to tie down the wires behind the carpet, maybe trim some of them down. I may slit the carpet to hide the RCA cable too. I am thinking about rotating the amp 90 degrees, but we'll see. I want access to the gain and crossover controls for now.

Demon I Am
06-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Great looking setup, Steve. I think I'm going for the no-head unit install, eventually, if ever. Is that a microphone on the steering column?

kung fu jesus
06-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Yeah. I considered a HU-less setup, but with this car taking a DD role again, I needed a technology update. The mic is on the steering column, a bit to the right. I haven't had a standalone BT headset that worked well with the car yet, so I chose this HU partially because of that.

Grumpy
06-17-2012, 05:18 PM
That's looking good! Sounds like you are as pleased with the head unit as I am. Being able to match the color was kinda inportant to me, aside from the actual working features. Mounting the mic there as opposed to the windshield header as I've seen some do, really makes more sense. Lots less exposure to wind buffeting I think. I'm looking for a tiny 4 port 2.1 usb hub as well. I plan on plugging it into the rear, and tucking it behind the radio/climate controls, with the bt dongle and iPod plugged in there, leaving the front empty for the passenger's phone/ipod/whatever. Let us know what you find!

PS, seeing where the 12v socket is in the NA in your pictures, I can see why the cables would get in the way a bit

Tkblazer
06-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Similar install to mine except I have my Mic centered on the column , but I have my amp in the same spot

kung fu jesus
06-18-2012, 07:00 AM
The color change is nice, I picked as close to my instrument lights as possible. I do like the adjustable dimming feature. My old HU only had blue lights with a color LCD panel. It was not adjustable in brightness, so it could get annoying at night.

I mounted the amp offset in behind the seat to prevent the seatbelt receiver from accidentally shorting out the leads. It looked possible, but I still may rotate it. The amp was a little bigger than I expected but I like the performance so far. :)

The mic is mounted where it won't block the idiot lights and slightly below the level of my chin. I used to use visor mounted BT mic/speaker, but they don't work with the Miata's thin, bi-fold sun visors well. I hate the earpiece BT sets. I ran two of them through the washing machine accidentally and I don't think they work especially well.

I am thinking of using that big empty space under the HU to mount another 12v outlet and use it with a slim mount USB charger. Something like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31zOkygtluL._SS500_.jpg

The pigtail on my current cellphone charger gets trapped between my knee and the centerstack. It's a bit uncomfortable at times.

kung fu jesus
06-25-2012, 08:47 AM
So, I used the BT mic for the first time on Saturday. I called my wife to test it. I was cruising on the freeway with the AC on at about 70mph. My car is pretty loud inside. Her first question after she picked up the phone,"why are you yelling?" :lol:

I was really surprised how softly I could speak and she could hear me just fine. At a few points, I could barely hear myself speak over the noise of the car and she understood me fine. I guess I am used to having to shout into a BT set to be heard while in the car. She says she can tell I'm in the car, but the background noise is greatly reduced over my last BT speaker. Having the mic on the steering column is nice because I could look straight ahead without having to look up to speak directly in the mic on my previous configuration. I will play with the noise cancellation and mic settings a little more.

My wife is pretty happy with this HU. So much, she wants me to tear out her crappy OEM Bose unit and put one of these in its place.

Agent☣Orange
06-25-2012, 09:13 AM
It's pretty contagious, isn't it? My local club still has some "stock is fine" holdouts even though I try to to convince them how nice it is to ditch a hundred pounds of CDs and put them all on a $10 16Gb flash drive the size of my finger nail.

kung fu jesus
06-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Yeah. She still prefers to thumb through the ipod, which drives me insane. Feh.

I keep trying to tell her to just make playlists, but what evs.

Agent☣Orange
06-25-2012, 11:10 AM
I had my 160Gb iPod plugged in and thought that was pretty cool but you're right, it's more trouble than it's worth to have everything available at once. I do make playlists though which is much much better and way easier to navigate if I even need to navigate at all. I just want to turn the car on and drive and have my favorite music come on without me having to fumbling through menus to find anything.

tsingson
08-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Hey Steven I definitely need to see your setup at the next meet. This is an interesting setup and one that I may have to do for my NB.