PDA

View Full Version : How safe is a removable luggage rack on a fiberglass trunk lid.

Willywongka
06-22-2012, 09:09 PM
So I recently bought a removable stainless steel luggage rack that I was going use on days I may need to transport stuff I can't fit in my trunk. Now my concern is that I have a fiberglass Murakami trunk lid and I am wondering if it would be ok to put stuff like that isn't THAT heavy, like luggage. I am a little worried it might damage the trunk lid.

If anyone else has run a removable luggage rack on a fiberglass trunk please chime in =). Thanks!

-Will

Phatmiata
06-22-2012, 09:22 PM
You want to install a luggage rack on a Murakami Trunk Lid!! :shocked:

http://www.murakami-m.jp/

http://www.murakami-m.jp/parts/images/opart18_big.jpg

jnshk
06-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Suggestion: Hitch and miniature-trailer. :) Or perhaps keep the original steel lid in the garage and swap it on when you think you'll want to use the luggage rack. It's four bolts, so the occasional quick swap shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm not certain how robust the Murakami trunk lids are, but I'm not sure that I'd be willing to take that chance.

JDMPalace
06-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Yep, that's the same thing I do. I still have my factory trunk with the rack on it and when I need to carry something I just take the GHO trunk off and put that on. It's almost as easy as installing the rack itself after couple of times of installation.

Phatmiata
06-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Yep, that's the same thing I do. I still have my factory trunk with the rack on it and when I need to carry something I just take the GHO trunk off and put that on. It's almost as easy as installing the rack itself after couple of times of installation.

Is that the same as the Alterna Racing Low Profile deck Lid or is this a new GHO product? pics please :imgtag:

Willywongka
06-22-2012, 11:41 PM
Welp! Guess that answers my question! Hahaha! Damn, the thing is I had to adjust the height of the hinges to sit the murakami better, so adding on the other lid after all that probably won't look very pretty =). Welp thanks for the input guys!

Ahhhh yes that GHO trunk lid JDMP has is quite a pretty piece ~ Saw it in person!

wongmic75
10-17-2012, 09:03 AM
I think it will be strong enough..