PDA

View Full Version : Resolved swear filter

phillyb
12-28-2011, 04:29 PM
are you fucking kidding me?are we fucking 7 years old?bullshit!

ChrisJuliano
12-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah I does not like that!

kung fu jesus
12-28-2011, 04:39 PM
:p

works well

morr
12-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I didn't know there was one, but I'm for it. There's never really a need to cuss on a forum. Some people are just obnoxious with it and it gets annoying.

kung fu jesus
12-28-2011, 04:50 PM
agreed. that is why it is there.

phillyb
12-28-2011, 05:03 PM
I didn't know there was one, but I'm for it. There's never really a need to cuss on a forum. Some people are just obnoxious with it and it gets annoying.

hypocrite

phillyb
12-28-2011, 05:04 PM
agreed. that is why it is there.

you too fugger

AntiochOG
12-28-2011, 05:42 PM
hahaha

kung fu jesus
12-28-2011, 05:45 PM
No cross-posting between forums. Please pull that down.

revlimiter
12-28-2011, 05:56 PM
philly beat me to it. I was going to post this thread.

The swear filter makes me feel like a child. If I feel passionate about something, I am going to f-cking swear. And I often feel passionate about these little girlie cars. I will be swearing.

I swear on my own website where I sell products for Chris+ sake.

Who are we actually protecting with a swear filter?

While we're at it, killing links to the other forum is quite unprofessional. It's funny (to me) to have the letters C and R in a swear filter, but messing with links to that other forum is extremely unproductive. I'd swear about it, but there's a filter.

kung fu jesus
12-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Noted. Which links are you referring to?

revlimiter
12-28-2011, 05:59 PM
If you link to that other forum, the site URL is disabled. Or it was this morning.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=18571
is my build thread.

phillyb
12-28-2011, 06:00 PM
i just got a pm to take down my screenshots.
they don't contain links...and aren't advertising any site. they're there to prove a point and mainly for lulz.
mod who sent me the pm, you wanna edit them and give me a time out...do it.
but i respectfully decline removing them.
this place is off to a rocky start.
good luck to everyone involved.

AntiochOG
12-28-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm with Rev and phillyb on this one.

kung fu jesus
12-28-2011, 06:06 PM
OK.

Sorry to read this. I am giving you the choice to pull them down on your own and you declined.

We don't want any cross-forum drama.

We also like to hear the input you guys are telling us here. We will discuss the filter system to see if it is something we want to keep.

revlimiter
12-28-2011, 06:06 PM
i just got a pm to take down my screenshots.
they don't contain links...and aren't advertising any site. they're there to prove a point and mainly for lulz.

It could be construed as cross-forum drama. Rather, posting ANYTHING from any forum could be considered drama. But in this context, it's pure lulz. That should be obvious.

I respectfully implore the MR moderating staff: please do not over-moderate this forum. It is in its infancy. It is just barely starting out. It does not need much moderation or censorship at all at this point. It needs to establish an identity of its own. Please let that happen.

kung fu jesus
12-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Adam, we are trying to do just that.

At the same time, please understand the identity we are trying to establish is different from other forums.

AntiochOG
12-28-2011, 06:16 PM
I respectfully implore the MR moderating staff: please do not over-moderate this forum. It is in its infancy. It is just barely starting out. It does not need much moderation or censorship at all at this point. It needs to establish an identity of its own. Please let that happen.

^this (wanted to say +1, but I guess that isn't enough characters)

phillyb
12-28-2011, 06:17 PM
5char

kung fu jesus
12-28-2011, 06:25 PM
We are working to get it right, guys. Please bear with us.

atlnb
12-28-2011, 08:39 PM
i have faith in this forum

ChrisJuliano
12-28-2011, 08:41 PM
philly beat me to it. I was going to post this thread.

The swear filter makes me feel like a child. If I feel passionate about something, I am going to f-cking swear. And I often feel passionate about these little girlie cars. I will be swearing.

I swear on my own website where I sell products for Chris+ sake.

Who are we actually protecting with a swear filter?

While we're at it, killing links to the other forum is quite unprofessional. It's funny (to me) to have the letters C and R in a swear filter, but messing with links to that other forum is extremely unproductive. I'd swear about it, but there's a filter.

That made me laugh out loud. But very true. I agree even though swearing might be childish, we are all old enough to swear and the internet should not be censored, no ones going to get butt hurt if they read the word fuck.

MazRoadAdmin
12-28-2011, 09:03 PM
The breaking of links from the other forum is an unintentional side effect of the word-replacement that is in place, not something we did on purpose.

revlimiter
12-28-2011, 09:08 PM
I've been trying to word this post for an hour now. My brain is having a hard time. I've deleted probably 20 pages while trying to get this right.

I want an intelligent forum that treats me like an adult. I don't want to be coddled. I don't want to be protected from myself. I don't want to live in fear of being banned because I flamed a n00b or somehow stepped out of line unknowingly.

I think that sums it up.

Phatmiata
12-28-2011, 09:14 PM
No problem, we are still testing features out, we can remove the word filter, I would just like everyone to respect each other, that was the main purpose.

MazRoadAdmin
12-28-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm a bit of an outsider here, having just been brought in to set things up and keep them running smoothly. Here's an outsider's perspective:

I feel that everyone here is being treated like an adult, even those who are offended by cursing. (and I'm not one of them, but I respect them) Nobody is coddling anyone as far as I can tell. You're not likely to get banned for flaming a newb unless you make a habit of doing it mercilessly. (here's an idea... don't flame people) I don't see anyone getting banned for any sort of "first offense" without some sort of communication about what they are doing wrong and a warning that a ban is pending.

Lastly, again, as an outsider: I can handle swear filters just fine, as I generally try to filter myself on a public forum. I can handle moderation just fine, as I don't make a habit of being rude on a public forum. What bugs me? All the whining and bickering over NOTHING. Geez, people, aren't you here for the Miatas? Go find a topic that is relevant to your interests and post something! Way too much negative energy here.

atlnb
12-28-2011, 09:43 PM
I've been trying to word this post for an hour now. My brain is having a hard time. I've deleted probably 20 pages while trying to get this right.

I want an intelligent forum that treats me like an adult. I don't want to be coddled. I don't want to be protected from myself. I don't want to live in fear of being banned because I flamed a n00b or somehow stepped out of line unknowingly.

I think that sums it up.

I agree, but the forum is in its infant stage so there's so much room for dvelopment.

phillyb
12-28-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm a bit of an outsider here, having just been brought in to set things up and keep them running smoothly. Here's an outsider's perspective:

I feel that everyone here is being treated like an adult, even those who are offended by cursing. (and I'm not one of them, but I respect them) Nobody is coddling anyone as far as I can tell. You're not likely to get banned for flaming a newb unless you make a habit of doing it mercilessly. (here's an idea... don't flame people) I don't see anyone getting banned for any sort of "first offense" without some sort of communication about what they are doing wrong and a warning that a ban is pending.

Lastly, again, as an outsider: I can handle swear filters just fine, as I generally try to filter myself on a public forum. I can handle moderation just fine, as I don't make a habit of being rude on a public forum. What bugs me? All the whining and bickering over NOTHING. Geez, people, aren't you here for the Miatas? Go find a topic that is relevant to your interests and post something! Way too much negative energy here.

what about flaming an admin?
you certainly use the word, "i" a lot...well let's clear something up...this isn't about you!
a lot of this stuff should have been hashed out in beta (before going live). the moderators should have been put in place already. the direction of the forum should have been discussed as well as the filters so that by the time the site goes public, everyone is on the same page.
and from what i can see, you guys aren't even in the same fucking book, let alone chapter or page.
i digress...
i'm "whining" but how do you expect to thrive if members' issues aren't addressed and rather brushed under the proverbial rug?
how do you expect this place to thrive when there are only 190 members and the feedback section is the m0St aCtIvE except for the "new member" section? we're here to give you constructive criticism, not to attack or harass.
how do you expect to thrive?

:phillyb:

phillyb
12-28-2011, 09:48 PM
on that note...

http://speedforums.org/images/smilies/phillyb.gif

miata5620
12-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Seems like most who have posted all agree the word filter is pointless. If the forum is going to be able having a fun and happy community why not put it to a vote and open a poll on it to see if anyone really wants the word filter on. I know I tend to curse a lot myself and I filter myself around my kid all day long but why should I need to be filtered here among peers?

MazRoadAdmin
12-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Word filters and replacements removed at Randy's request. One less thing to whine about.

/thread.