PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh Area Miata Techday

kung fu jesus
07-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Raleigh Area Miata Techday

I know we have discussed this at the last two meets...let's get this hammered out

Where?
When?
What?

Keep in mind, big-ass projects probably won't be feasible, like motor swaps or clutches. Suspensions, probably. It will be up to the host to determine when and how long it will last The host will be able to gauge how much space there is and the size of the jobs to be done. The rest of us need to post up what we plan to work on, what help we need or can provide, and bring drinks/food to share. If you have specialized tools to loan, post about that too!

tsingson
07-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Looks like I will have a roll bar to install. Is that too big of a job? I may have to go old school and do my suspension on my own because I don't know when I will be able to purchase that.

kung fu jesus
07-05-2012, 11:04 AM
I think a rollbar is definitely doable. I usually help people drill the holes, trim the tin, line up the hardware and button it down, but removing the interior, replacing the interior and trimming the panels I leave up to that person. Everyone has a specific level of detail they prefer. I offer suggestions or personal experience.

I think the point is to try to feel out who is coming, what people have to do, and where. If there is garage space, people with bigger jobs should plan on arriving early. It would suck to have someone claim a big job and arrive 2-3 hours late, you know? Also, big jobs like a timing belt should be mentioned before the event. It may not be possible to complete the job in the time frame if a lot of people show up.

Generally, most techdays I have been to are first come first served on garage space. Smaller jobs are done outside or after the garage clears out, generally. Letting the host and those attending know what you're planning help you to know if you are going to have anyone there with previous experience that can lend a hand or offer advice. It will also allow each person to prepare for the tools they need and ask if anyone has those they can use. Sometimes, the biggest misconception is that people show up and think someone else will do the work for them. That does not happen. Not to sound like a jerk, but personally I have walked away from helping someone on their project if they weren't helping or walked off to socialize. The point of the techdays are to do the work yourself with guidance or someone willing to learn what you are doing or can assist you. There may be tools you can borrow, but you should also bring your own. It's hard if, say, there are 4 jack stands and 3 people need 2 of them.

These are social events, and they are always fun, but you have to respect the host and the other attendees.

kung fu jesus
07-05-2012, 11:24 AM
I *might* replace the clutch on my AC compressor, but I'm not sure yet.

Demon I Am
07-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Anthony, John (the roll bar guy) is thinking about waiting until he has his new bar, before doing the removal. He's older, doesn't want to take the car apart twice. I'll figure out when he wants to do it, asap.

I have some Diff mounts that I need to install.

tsingson
07-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks Tony. I hope it happens soon. The money is burning a hole in my wallet and the bikini top is collecting dust.

tsingson
07-05-2012, 03:14 PM
BTW does anyone have a spare horn relay lying around. A new one from Autozone is about $26 and I was really feeling like spending that on something that I rarely use. Let me know fellas.

kung fu jesus
07-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Anthony, John (the roll bar guy) is thinking about waiting until he has his new bar, before doing the removal. He's older, doesn't want to take the car apart twice. I'll figure out when he wants to do it, asap.I have some Diff mounts that I need to install.Is it in the car or out?

Demon I Am
07-05-2012, 03:37 PM
The diff is installed, I bought delrin mounts long ago, but have been to lazy-busy to install

AARP
07-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Everyone should do their motor mounts at the same time :lol:

kung fu jesus
07-05-2012, 06:03 PM
you should go to hell.

and die.

AARP
07-05-2012, 06:36 PM
you should go to hell.

and die.

:teehee:

tsingson
07-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know that I may be making a trip to see Miata Jason in Apex. I don't know if anyone else has any parts to get but we could caravan there if interested. Let me know.

kung fu jesus
07-06-2012, 05:46 PM
I would be interested to see what he has.

tsingson
07-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Here are a few of his craisglist ads:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/3119782499.html

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/3108642262.html

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/3105949690.html

I was going strictly for a horn relay.

j slow
07-16-2012, 11:33 AM
If this is scheduled right, I'll bring beer. :teehee:

tsingson
07-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Not enough people responded with things to do. I think it will end up being just a meet.

Demon I Am
07-17-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm gonna need more than a tech day, unless we bust serious ass. Jason is pulling my 1.8 engine this week, so I should have it by the weekend. Parts are on order from FM, and I still need to figure out all the maintenance items to grab.

tsingson
07-18-2012, 10:41 AM
What car are you using to pick up the engine?

Demon I Am
07-18-2012, 10:54 AM
I have a friend with a Honda truck. Hopefully, we can use the engine hoist to get it in the bed. Not quite sure how heavy a Miata engine is.

tsingson
07-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Are you definitely picking it up this weekend?

Demon I Am
07-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Yessir, barring any emergencies. Most likely after work on Sat, I'll grab it, and bring it back here. I need to get rid of a 1.6 in my storage unit, also

Advancedspecv
07-23-2012, 09:49 PM
So now that I got off my ass and finished my brake install I def want a tech day :) I need help swapping my door panels to the nb2 set up. Let's just try to keep it simple for the first tech day. I'm a newb to the Miata so some things will take me a while lol. Any opinions on a day?

Muhahata
09-10-2013, 09:05 PM
I wish this could be brought back :p

Demon I Am
09-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Where did it go?
Tony, good to see you posting again

Muhahata
09-11-2013, 04:47 AM
I guess since the last post was a year ago....

And I'm not tony?

tsingson
09-11-2013, 06:42 AM
Jen, what did you need done to your car?

Tony, maybe you gotta lay down the alcohol before posting....:mrgreen:

Demon I Am
09-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Isn't that AdvanceSpecV's name? Tony? I thought there was 2 Tony's and an Anthony?

.. And I just realized this thread is a year old. Forum surfing by phone is FTL sometimes.

tsingson
09-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Yeah, Toney responded over a year ago on that one.

Muhahata
09-11-2013, 08:48 PM
I've got to troubleshoot my window motor and speedo replacement.

kung fu jesus
09-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Zombie thread back from the dead!

tsingson
09-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Ok. Well, we can try and find a time when we can organize one. Finding a location would be the first thing.

Demon I Am
09-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Hell, if you guys can do it on a Sunday, or late afternoon on a Saturday, I have plenty of parking lot space at work.

tsingson
09-12-2013, 08:14 AM
That's what we would probably be shooting for. That may work, Tony. And with the fall season coming, it won't be an oven out either.

Demon I Am
09-12-2013, 09:22 AM
I'm right outside of downtown Raleigh, 1.5 miles off of exit 298A. So it should be pretty easy to get to for most folks. Let me check the calendar and see what weekends in October might work. I'd like to get my window tracks cleaned, some sound deadener in the doors, and a few other things.

tsingson
09-12-2013, 09:34 AM
I would love to do my window tracks as well and maybe regrease.

Muhahata
09-12-2013, 08:33 PM
I'd be down to have a door card and window sliders fixing day!
Would make it easier to have all cars parked closeby in a circle to see what everyone else is doing.

Pyr0monk3y
09-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Saturday is supposed to be nice and cool. Short notice but, it would be the perfect day for a tech day or cruise.

tsingson
09-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Yeah, that's really short notice

Demon I Am
09-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Well, I will be doing brakes this weekend, most likely. If anyone wants to come by after 2, it's cool.

tsingson
09-13-2013, 10:28 AM
I will let you know Tony if I can swing by. My garage is going to be filled with boxes this weekend, so I may be doing that.

JLBMX5
09-13-2013, 10:49 AM
If I'm done I might swing by. That tool I ordered did not get shipped till Thursday so I might not even see it till Saturday. I'm going to start pulling things off car tonight so if it does in fact come tomorrow I will just need to remove motor and swap out the seal and put it back together.

Demon I Am
09-13-2013, 11:00 AM
dang, I kinda forgot that you were doing that this weekend. Hopefully, it should be easy in and out, and that the clutch is not fubar.

JLBMX5
09-13-2013, 01:03 PM
dang, I kinda forgot that you were doing that this weekend. Hopefully, it should be easy in and out, and that the clutch is not fubar.
Its my plan to do it this weekend. trust me I wish I wasn't doing it but damn truck gets 9 miles to gallon and does not have ac.

Demon I Am
09-13-2013, 08:14 PM
If anyone is interested in coming by tomorrow, the address is 331 Tryon rd 27603. the work area is behind a code access gate. if you need my phone number to call me please send me a PM here. if there is no interest I may just wait to work on it until Sunday and brew some beer tomorrow

Demon I Am
09-14-2013, 06:59 PM
... or not :D

Didn't find any brake pads today, but I got the wheels rotated, changed the oil in the exgf's SpecV, and am getting ready to recheck the timing on the Miata. Rear pads (Axxis ULTs) have meybe 1/16 of life left and still have not heard any squealers. The fronts (Axxis Deluxe+) have at least 1/4".

JLBMX5
09-14-2013, 07:10 PM
I made tons of progress in my Miata as well. Got motor out. replaced rear main seal replaced rear oil pan gasket. replaced rear main seal housing gasket as well. All three of those were new two weeks ago but I think failed attempt to installed rear main seal a few times screwed them up.that tool is the shit if anyone needs to use it let me know. The motor is now back in the car with a few things hooked back up but I ran out of time it got dark so going to finish it up tomorrow. who knows maybe I can actually drive it to the next meet lol.

JLBMX5
09-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Drove Miata to work today. sounds like timing might be a little to high.I have a guy at work who lives down the road I take to drive home who has a timing light. he going to let me take it home and from there I am going to adjust and see if I can straiten it out.

Demon I Am
09-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Anyone planning on being at the meet tomorrow?

JLBMX5
09-17-2013, 05:24 PM
My car seems to be at 100% I got timing done yesterday. 13 degrees. That was not the problem I was hearing. Today after work I took valve cover off and shined a flashlight down and noticed one of my timing pulleys that is for tensioner was crocked. Causing the belt on the inside to rub. I took cover off and tightened the bolt that holds it into place. Put car back together started it up. beat the shit out of it and it sounds great. so yes if there is a meet tomorrow I want to come. I miss the meets.

kung fu jesus
09-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Good news, James!

I can make it to a meet tomorrow.