PDA

View Full Version : My car was backed into two days ago. Please help me assess the damage.

Willywongka
07-22-2012, 08:56 PM
So day that I have always feared came two days ago when I was parked on the street in front of my girlfriends house. A lady in a 2010 Chevy Impala backed out of her driveway and backed into my car and hit my drivers side door and rear quarter panel. Some how I kept calm and didn't explode on the girl (dunno how I did it).

Little did I know this section can not just be taken off and simply replaced with another quarter panel like the front fender, which somewhat concerns me. My door seems like it was just scuffed but my quarter panel was actually pushed in =(.

I was lucky she came and knocked on my gf's door and told me everything that happened and admitted fault, thats cool and all but I just want my shit to be brought back to normal! So I called AAA yesterday and told them what happened and they are gonna come take a look at it, I've never had to do this before so its all new to me. Anyways here are some pictures of the damage and I was hoping that anybody that has fixed this sort of damage before could possibly chime in and let me know if its 100% fixable or tell me what to expect from here on out ~ Thanks!

paulsk
07-22-2012, 10:21 PM
http://shop.autokonexion.com/Mazda-Miata-MX-5-89-97-Fiberglass-30mm-FULL-Over-Rear-Quarter-FGNAFULLOVER30mm.htm

afc2112
07-22-2012, 10:23 PM
A local Tampa member (I<3flippyheadlights) just got hit in that same spot and he's getting quotes in the $450 range...But then, no one came forward in his situation. So, you might be luckier in terms of your insurance covering the damage?

tanakapz
07-23-2012, 01:06 AM
idk... looks kind of bad imo. quarter panel damage can be pretty costly

snake520
07-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

SM16RMSM
07-23-2012, 01:30 AM
Sucks to see that, but it can be fixed.

Willywongka
07-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I can't wait to get this looked at by AAA so I can get this sorted out, hope it can be 100% fixed.

I don't even wanna think about my car right now cause I just get upset.

kung fu jesus
07-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Call your agent and ask about the process.

I<3flippyheadlights
07-23-2012, 02:34 PM
What other people said, it can be costly. But cars can be fixed and it will look fine. Its better to stay calm and know it will be fixed instead of getting worked up. Also, they came forward so that helps!

wannafbody
07-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Call your agent and they should file a claim against her insurance company. I'd say that's a minimum $1000 repair.

Willywongka
07-23-2012, 05:48 PM
What other people said, it can be costly. But cars can be fixed and it will look fine. Its better to stay calm and know it will be fixed instead of getting worked up. Also, they came forward so that helps!

Thanks for the advice, better just relax and take care of it instead of stress'n over it, guess it was gonna happen sooner or later.

I should get a call sometime this week from AAA, hopefully. Hope you get yours taken care of soon as well flippy.

I<3flippyheadlights
07-23-2012, 07:43 PM
as soon as I feel like dropping 5 bills. Maybe if someone buy this damned bikini top :P

Willywongka
07-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Talked to a autobody shop today and he says there is a high possibility that my car will be a total loss (totaled) and when I get it all fixed it it'll be a salvage title. Man that is NOT what I wanted to hear.

I guess if I was never planning on selling the car the salvage title won't bother me much, just hope my insurance etc doesn't go up because of it.

wannafbody
07-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Did you call your agent? That's step number one.

I<3flippyheadlights
07-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Talked to a autobody shop today and he says there is a high possibility that my car will be a total loss (totaled) and when I get it all fixed it it'll be a salvage title. Man that is NOT what I wanted to hear.

I guess if I was never planning on selling the car the salvage title won't bother me much, just hope my insurance etc doesn't go up because of it.

GO TO A DIFFERENT SHOP!

That is not a total loss! Just pay it out of pocket and move on!

etikoner
07-25-2012, 01:54 AM
:(

I really like this car, sucks that she hit it...

Hope they don't total it... If they do, buy it back keep your parts and buy a new white one :)

Willywongka
07-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Yes I have called my agent and talked to them, they have already talked to the other insurance company that admitted fault and everything is ready to go. All I gatta do now is find a shop to do the work, I am going to visit two shops today and see what they can do. It seems like they are going to try to do everything to keep it from being a total loss, I'll keep you guys updated!

I<3flippyheadlights
07-26-2012, 09:41 AM
If any shop says its a total loss thats stupid. Fight for your car!

SM16RMSM
07-26-2012, 11:22 AM

$3500 dollars and up was what they consider totaled here in Florida. I was running right at $3450 when I was rear ended in my 97M. It was totaled and they never finished the paperwork stating it was salvaged. I bought the Miata back at 300 bucks and got a check for $3400 AND it still has a clean title. I sold it off, and used the money for a down payment on a MSM. :mrgreen: I rolling in it now. I love it so much more. I can't help myself, I aways wanted a turbo and I got what I wanted.

Caoboy
07-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Damn Will, that sucks to see. :(

Where do you plan on taking it to?

Willywongka
07-31-2012, 11:23 PM
I dropped the car off today at Car N Bike Moto in Vallejo. Kenjo of Garagestar and some other people recommended them so I checked it out and it looks like they do good work there so I feel comfortable with them working on it. I was originally gonna take it to a shop in San Jose called something like Alamaden Body, but its just too far for me to bring me car.

Good news it that is not gonna be totaled from this stupid accident, so hopefully I'll get my car back sometime next week. Thanks for asking man!

Willywongka
08-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Just got word that my car is just about done and I will pick it up tonight. When they were repairing the damage on the drivers side they noticed that the car may have been hit in the past, which is why my trunk lid and GV tails did not fit perfectly on my car. So I had them pull the frame a bit and do some tweaks while they had all the parts off anyways.

He is telling me that everything fits spot on after some pulling and tweaking, I can't wait to see how everything works out when I pick it up later tonight! Who would have thought this accident would have been a blessing in disguise. After three weeks of waiting, here are a few pictures the guys at Car N Bike Moto sent me.

Its probably safe to say the car looks better than ever!

tsingson
08-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Nice man! :applause:

treeafodo
08-22-2012, 05:33 AM
That's great! I'm glad to hear that the fitment is even better now!

atank
08-22-2012, 06:13 AM
Good to see your Roadster is going to be back on the asphalt!!

iRoadster
08-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Someone back into my rear bumper!

Wait…no don't.

etikoner
08-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Wow, that looks great.

Better have a nice photo shoot once you get it back!

Willywongka
08-23-2012, 02:06 AM
Oh I wish... I'm such a shitty photographer! It'd be nice to have some proper shots of my car though.