PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Canister

mini_fd
07-24-2012, 07:03 PM
A week ago I started to smell fumes from the passenger quarter panel as my car sat running for some time in a open vented warehouse. I just got done driving several miles to get to my destination and let the car run to see if I can hear and see it misfire. Well I fixed my misfire and idles issue and shes running fantastic. But during the operation i smelled raw fuel.

I proceeded to get under the car and search for the canister and disconnected a hose leading to the black box and liquid came out. Raw fuel, i don't know but it smelled like it was.

going back two years ago I replaced a hard emissions line that connects to a purge control valve under the fuel pump cover because it was rubbing against a metal sheet. you can see the valve here. I replaced the tubing with a hard emissions tubing that runs from the top where you see down to the bottom under the car to the canister. It wasnt oem because mazda no longer makes the hose but I was thinking of buying a used one from another 99 nb along with the valves. I am not sure if the valve has crapped out or why im getting 21 mpg or if the walbro fuel 190lph pump is causing my gas to dwindle. Or why I found liquid in the canister or smell fuel outside the car when it was missing and just drove several miles hard to replicate the condition to diagnose the problem

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac159/Rocketeer_Bandit/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0410.jpg

SM16RMSM
07-24-2012, 09:46 PM
So u didn't figure it out then. I thought you might have been onto something when we where at the shop. You spent most of your time under your car instead of talking.

mini_fd
07-24-2012, 09:55 PM
I know sorry for not interacting more.

SM16RMSM
07-29-2012, 10:13 PM
I was playing around and found this. I think it will help a bit in your search.

http://revlimiter.net/blog/2012/07/how-to-eliminate-miata-gas-fumes-i-hope/

revlimitier has a nice writeup and i hope it help fixes your problem.