PDA

View Full Version : Soledad's Blox Shifter Knob Review

Soledad
07-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Since Moddiction couldn't get their crap together in a timely fashion, I decided to get this exquisite specimen. It's a Blox Limited Series in platinum five speed engraved shift knob. At $49.99, it cost me a solid $10 less than the similar Moddiction piece, and I got free shipping to my house in three days! This bad boy is 440 grams of shift knobby awesomeness!

I installed it in place of the shiny melt-the-skin-off-my-hand-when-its'-hot-out chrome one that came with my RalcoRZ short throw shifter. The Ralco knob had some weight to it, but the Blox knob weighs in at a bit more.

The only thing that I don't like about the Blox piece is that it is not counter sunk like the Moddiction piece, or the Ralco one for that matter, but at the same time I like the little bit of height and the fact that my shifts feel much more confident. The engraved red 5 speed pattern on the knob looks pretty sweet with the black suede shift boot with red stitching, and black interior. Pics of the installed knob will follow soon.

The Driver
07-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Sweet looking dude! How about some pics of it in the car? :wink:

Soledad
07-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Pics of the installed knob will follow soon.

I have to take my dog and wife for a walk around the neighborhood, then tend to my garden for a bit. Patience, young Padawan....

Muti007
07-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Heh heh, knob.

Soledad
07-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Heh heh, knob.

Wow. And here I am trying to be informative and such.... anyway, I digress. Pics as promised.

I tried to move the shifter into different gears to give you a better perspective of how it looks in the car. Also visible are my custom guage faces designed by RevLimiter himself, Mr. Adam Wolf. These are the F1 version that he offers but with a little twist- the vintage Mazda logo. To my knowledge I'm the only one that has a set like this with the vintage Mazda logo....

Muti007
07-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Wow. And here I am trying to be informative and such.... anyway, I digress. Pics as promised.....

It was supposed to just a childish Beavis and Butthead joke. Maybe I should have said "heh heh, you said knob. Heh heh". That was all that meant, please dont read any deeper into it. I dont go any deeper than that!

BTW, that looks fantastic. On my last Miata, I switched between the Nardi wood oem knob (pricey!!) and the Knobmeister countersunk polished magnum. Loved the magnum so much It was the first thing I bought for the stook when I bought it.

psychoof78
07-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Nice looking knob there Soledad! I prefer the ball shaped knobs personally (not so much for looks, but for comfort and grip-ability), so I have a piano black Voodoo in mine. Your's looks very cool though!

Soledad
07-25-2012, 09:34 PM
I know you were joking. I was being sarcastic. Next time I'll use the sarcasm font so people will know...

Thanks Psych. Upon further inspection I discovered that the knob is indeed countersunk. The shifter itself needs a few more threads added to it to take advantage of it. Time to go buy a tap and die set.....

The Driver
07-25-2012, 09:50 PM
How is the grip & shifting? I really like it!

Skyeye
07-25-2012, 10:22 PM
I just installed the bronze color one on my NA. What a difference! Worth the price for sure!
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/83949240@N07/7687454444/

wongmic75
10-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Knob looks great... fits the interior perfectly

turbotyla
10-20-2012, 10:42 PM
I have had the blox 490 gold for almost 3 years now. Love it.

wannafbody
10-21-2012, 10:58 PM
The biggest issue with metal knobs is how hot they get in the summer.

Jeremiah
10-24-2012, 07:31 AM
I had a blox 490 neo chro (spherical) a while back.

I couldnt get over the fact it was not countersunk (so it didnt sit at it lowest potential on the shifter and the thread gap bugged me)

Id rock one again if it was countersunk.