PDA

View Full Version : Eibach&Koni vs Illumina&FM vs Rest.

Slampen
08-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Got some question about shocks/springs setups for a '95 1.8 Mx-5

My experience is limited to my friends '94 NA.
First he got eibach and yellow Konis which I found almost to low, and a litty "bumpy" when riding. Suspect there where some bumpstop-riding.

After a while he replaced them with Illumina FM-Springs. This combination I experience feels a lot better than Eibach-Koni.
A litle higher riding heigh, more forgiving when it comes to bad roads, and it does really perform well on auto-x.

I dont know about track use, but would put my money on the Illumina&FM combination.

My driving will be mostly street, some autox and track. I would prefer it more tuned for track and auto-x use that sunday cruising. :)

So my question is. Is still the Illumina&FM combination really good-stuff, or does it start to get outdatet?

What alternatives is there in the class of Illumina&FM, and a little above?

\\Stian

I<3flippyheadlights
08-07-2012, 09:42 AM
The reason the koni/ebach felt bad is because the spring rates on the eibach springs. Also, what typee of koni's were they? If they are the yellows he could of adjusted the damper to stiffen them up and not feel as "bouncy" In the end, all aftermarket springs for the Miata are too soft expect FM's. I have koni adjustables and they felt purely amazing on stock springs. Now they are on Tien-S springs and its a little bouncy, but I just stiffened the springs up.

What I would do is go with the Koni/FM spring set up. You can buy both separately, get some nice top hats and have a good set up.

Slampen
08-10-2012, 05:14 AM
First he got eibach and yellow Konis which I found almost to low, and a litty "bumpy" when riding. Suspect there where some bumpstop-riding.

What I would do is go with the Koni/FM spring set up. You can buy both separately, get some nice top hats and have a good set up.

So the yellow Konis matches the Illuminas?

I<3flippyheadlights
08-10-2012, 08:05 AM
I believe the yellow konis are above the illuminas. Don't quote me on that.

wannafbody
08-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Depends on who you ask-it's probably more a personal preference and probably depends on the springrates the shocks are paired with.

I<3flippyheadlights
08-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Koni yellows are fully adjustable, I believe luminas aren't. Also all the aftermarket springs have very soft spring rates EXCEPT the FM set.