PDA

View Full Version : "Matched" OTS Konis available from any vendors?

Blueiii
08-13-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm probably going to be going with Koni adjustables... still on the fence, but from what I've read thus far, there can be a decent amount of variance from shock to shock. (Two Koni sports may have very different dynos.) Do any of the miata vendors sell enough of these to match them in pairs? I'd like to find someone who does.

I'm also kind-of debating a custom set from FCM, but $1200 in just shocks seems REALLY high for a $2400 car.

The Platypus
08-13-2012, 06:47 PM
The FCMs are actually $1700 I believe. I have them and they are great. They handle awesome and they are very comfortable as well. I recommend them.

I<3flippyheadlights
08-13-2012, 06:56 PM
He is hesitant on 1200 and you want him to drop 1700? Silly people.

Blueiii
08-13-2012, 07:59 PM
FCM coilovers are $1700. I'm talking about just the shocks. (I'm currently racing in the RTR class, where I can change shocks but not springs.) I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with OTS Koni adjustables, I'd just like to have a set that is properly matched. (Someone did a study where they bought a few different shocks and dyno'd them all. Konis had the least variance between individual shock, but it was still there. The only way to really get rid of it is to either get a matched set or go with full custom valved shocks, and based on my driving skill I'm not sure it would really matter at all at that point.)

I'm still actually debating if I want to go to a full ST car or not. A lot will depend on if/when I finally regain employment. (ST car allows me to run coilovers; RT class does not.)

xjdesertfox
08-14-2012, 02:07 AM
Finding a vendor with a shock dyno will be a task. Finding a vendor willing to dyno dozens of shocks to find a matched pair will be an even bigger task...

Even my xidas didnt come as a "matched set". You probably wont notice enough of a difference for it to matter...

Blueiii
08-14-2012, 07:12 AM
Finding a vendor willing to dyno dozens of shocks to find a matched pair will be an even bigger task...You probably wont notice enough of a difference for it to matter...

That's what I kind of figured. As long as RTR stays an option for 2013, I'm really leaning toward just focusing on the class. Right now I'm just trying to figure the car out and get better as a driver, but since I'm running on 105k, factory original shocks....

adam777
11-15-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm guessing you just read the Autocross to Win stuff on Far North Racing? I read that too if that is the case. Great stuff for sure, but I still am comfortable with my OTS Konis. Until you are losing by tenths it should be fine. Or, try them out and if they're not up to snuff, you can rebuild them to a matched set.

Blueiii
11-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Wow! This came back from the dead! I had posted this quite literally 7 days after buying my car. It wasn't based on the Far North Racing article, but the fact that I had been reading up a lot on different shock options.

I've actually decided to go with OTS Koni Sports, FCM bumpstops and replacing my alignment bolts. I am, however, quite sad as I dislike the stock ride height a LOT. STS is just really expensive to play in regionally.

etikoner
11-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Why don't you just make your car how you want?

Lol I don't get all this class regulation crap people pay tons of attention to.

*edit, just opened up your build thread, lol. Now i know.

adam777
11-21-2012, 11:59 PM
Whoops. Sorry for the necro bump. I don't come here that often and was on Tapatalk and didn't see the dates. STS is an awesome class. Some rules I wish we're not there (like the no steering wheel swap) but you can build a pretty fast and fun car and it is great to compete and measure up against other drivers. Loved my Bilstien set up but looking forward to my new Koni Race/Sport set up for next year. Good luck on the build!

Blueiii
11-22-2012, 06:55 AM
The difficulty I face in STS is that I want to be semi competitive and still able to drive my car (comfortably) to work for 6 months of the year. It will also depend how close I can get to the STS times in ES/RTR trim.

adam777
11-22-2012, 09:53 AM
FWIW, my car has been competitive locally with 450/300 springs and that was not bad on the street at all. With the Konis, I'd go 500/325 and that would be a great compromise set up. Throw in some fat cat mounts and you'd be pretty comfy and competitive.