PDA

View Full Version : Disable airbag on passanger side.

Slampen
08-29-2012, 06:45 AM
I need to disable the airbag on the passanger side, since my kids are to small to have it enabled.

What is the easiest and safest method to do it?

I want to keep the one on the driver side. At least for the moment.

The car is a mx5 '95.

\\Stian.

revlimiter
08-29-2012, 11:48 AM
It works exactly the same as the driver's side airbag. Any method of disabling the driver's side (resistors, aftermarket plugin dongles, etc) will work on the passenger side.

I did resistors on Sharka. No problems for the last 4 years.

gapmiatas
08-29-2012, 12:32 PM
I happen to have a Bell-Works resistor from Bill at MiataRoadster.com

It came with my steering wheel hub, but I don't need it as I've removed the entire system.

I'd be willing to sell it for $15 plus shipping if you're interested.

iRoadster
08-29-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't know why I haven't done this yet. I don't ever have my passenger seat in the car…
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/003/619/Untitled-1.jpg...let alone passengers.

Phatmiata
08-29-2012, 03:36 PM
For the passenger side.

Disconnect your cars battery, then stand on the brakes to discharge any electrical current in the car. Take the glove box out and look for the blue & orange clips. Disconnect them and you are done.

iRoadster
08-29-2012, 03:51 PM
So does that mean you don't need a resistor for the passenger side?

Agent☣Orange
08-29-2012, 05:51 PM
If you just want do disable the passenger airbag, just disable it like Phat described. If you want to stop the blinking airbag light, you'll have to use a resistor to fool the ECU.

If you're going to remove the steering wheel airbag as well (if so equipped in your country), you could just pull the airbag warning bulb. By the way, if you're going to permanently disable the airbag, you could consider removing it to save weight as it is heavy.

Slampen
08-30-2012, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the excellent feedback, guys.

I have a local Mazda dealer that I trust and have used a lot for my Saab.
I dont trust my own mechanical skills enough for this. Since the safety of my kids are on stake.

So why do I ask if I trust the Mazda dealer? curiosity I guess.

bedheadben
08-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Here's what the air bag defeat's look like in case you were wondering.

http://www.boss-performance.com/images/1335390738017-1650538060.jpeg (http://www.boss-performance.com/Garage-Star-Air-Bag-Defeat-1990-1997-Miata-GS9097AirBag.htm?categoryId=-1)

Slampen
08-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Seems easy and straight ahead to install.

But I have to ask anyway, so where is that contact where its supposed to go?

:oops:

Phatmiata
08-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the excellent feedback, guys.

I have a local Mazda dealer that I trust and have used a lot for my Saab.
I dont trust my own mechanical skills enough for this. Since the safety of my kids are on stake.

So why do I ask if I trust the Mazda dealer? curiosity I guess.

Im shocked your dealer would even do this? A Mazda dealer here in the USA would not even touch that, too many lawsuits if something was to go wrong, not to mention it's illegal.

bedheadben
08-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Seems easy and straight ahead to install.

But I have to ask anyway, so where is that contact where its supposed to go?

:oops:
Into the orange connector under the dash on the passenger side.
http://www.boss-performance.com/images/1335390738488-1072523966.jpeg

Im shocked your dealer would even do this? A Mazda dealer here in the USA would not even touch that, too many lawsuits if something was to go wrong, not to mention it's illegal.
That's what I was thinking. No idea what the laws are like in his country though.

Slampen
08-31-2012, 06:32 AM
I
That's what I was thinking. No idea what the laws are like in his country though.

In Norway it's not common to sue people for a trillion usd for minor issues. :8):

The person on my local Mazda dealer did mention that there had been som issues, that cars had been sold with disablet airbags, and then the car crashed. I don't know it that was in Norway. Could be that I have to sign a paper when picking up my car, which says they are not to blame.

In Norway we have incpections every second year. I guess if this is a point in the inspection, I have to connect the airbag again.
Since it's two year until my next inspection, I hope that my kids are tall enough so I can enable the airbag by then.

bedheadben
08-31-2012, 09:07 AM
In Norway it's not common to sue people for a trillion usd for minor issues. :8):

The person on my local Mazda dealer did mention that there had been som issues, that cars had been sold with disablet airbags, and then the car crashed. I don't know it that was in Norway. Could be that I have to sign a paper when picking up my car, which says they are not to blame.

In Norway we have incpections every second year. I guess if this is a point in the inspection, I have to connect the airbag again.
Since it's two year until my next inspection, I hope that my kids are tall enough so I can enable the airbag by then.

The delete fools the computer into thinking the airbag is still there, which as long as it is and just not connected, I don't see why you would fail inspection. They're not going to get under your dash and check all the electrical wiring haha

Slampen
08-31-2012, 11:14 AM
The delete fools the computer into thinking the airbag is still there, which as long as it is and just not connected, I don't see why you would fail inspection. They're not going to get under your dash and check all the electrical wiring haha

Agree.

Slampen
09-03-2012, 01:39 AM
Welcome to bureaucracy. :)

If I disable the airbag, the dealer need to report it to the authorities and I will get a new registration paper where it is noted that the airbag is disabled.

But it will still fail inspection if it does not work. And my dealer would check it when doing inspection on my car the next time.
I dont blame them.

I'm really satisfied with my dealer, maybe a resistor to stop the airbag lamp and another dealer for next inspection. :8):
If not my kids grows like 20cm in the next two years.

Slampen
09-04-2012, 06:14 AM
The dealer called and asked: "Do you have a bip noise in your car when you start up?"
"No", I said.
"You do, now."

It stopped after 2-3 minutes they said.

The said there where no light in the airbag lamp only the sound.

Does it make sense?

Guess the Air Bag defat will stop the noise from triggering?

\\Stian.

bedheadben
09-04-2012, 10:57 AM
The dealer called and asked: "Do you have a bip noise in your car when you start up?"
"No", I said.
"You do, now."

It stopped after 2-3 minutes they said.

The said there where no light in the airbag lamp only the sound.

Does it make sense?

Guess the Air Bag defat will stop the noise from triggering?

\\Stian.

Your air bag light should come on flashing when you remove it, I've never had a sound or beep from removing the airbag. But yes if that sound is being caused by the removal of the airbag, the resistor defeat would fix this.

Martin
09-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Normally you'd only get a beep if the airbag light is burned out or removed.

bedheadben
09-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Normally you'd only get a beep if the airbag light is burned out or removed.

Forgot about that one. The previous owner could have removed the bulb. I'd verify that your driver's air bag is attached/functional if you have one.