PDA

View Full Version : Oh Where to Mount Boost Gauge?

SM16RMSM
08-29-2012, 05:06 PM
So, I getting ready to order myself a Innovate MTX-D Boost/Shift Light Gauge. It a digital boost gauge and the outer LED are used as a tach. More like a shift light since it can be programed as a shift light. BUT my question is where to mount this bad boy at. I not sure if I want to mount it in a Pillar or do a e-pod on the steering column. Pillar would be more ricy and civic like but mount it low to the dash, I think it will be find. I also thought about having it fitted to the gauge cluster but I still waiting to see the dimensions for it when Innovate reply to my e-mail. It is 52mm gauge and I dumb founded on where I should put it at. I use my A/C so the vent is out of the question, plus it somewhat out of view. Does anyone have an idea on where to mount it?

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product_image.php?imageid=244

fastnfurious7
08-29-2012, 05:13 PM
If you are going to use it as a shift light you will need to use one of the universal mounts & put it on the plastic housing behind the steering wheel or on the A pillar because otherwise it'll be too far out of view to be useful.

SM16RMSM
08-29-2012, 05:19 PM
That is what I was thinking. It acts light any other shift light, but I going to program it not to light up till 4200 RPM. I was thinking mounting it behind the steering wheel. I think it would be best there.

Agent☣Orange
08-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Nothing wrong with an A-pillar pod IMO. I don't like it behind the steering wheel because it'll block some of the cluster. The other option is to use a gauge panel in the radio console. You could also yank the oil or water gauge and do a custom install like I did with that PLX gauge.

SM16RMSM
08-29-2012, 07:49 PM
How hard was it to install your PLX (write-up maybe)? I like where it was at. But I want it installed where the dummy oil pressure gauge is at. I don't mind it behind the wheel as long as it only blocks the four warning lights and the odometer. I don't really use them anyways. If I go toward the pillar route, I have to see it in person to make a decision. I want it low to the dash.

fastnfurious7
08-29-2012, 09:10 PM
If you get an A pillar pod that is small & mounts to the existing A pillar plastic you can put where you want I'm pretty sure. So, get one of those & put down @ the dash. Personally, I'm going to modify a multigauge pod for another car & mount it to the dash over the tombstone. I just personally don't care for the A pillar pods & the behind the steering wheel mounts don't appeal to me for the same reason mentioned above.

gapmiatas
08-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Had mine like fastnfurious7 and mounted it in the center AC vent.

Worked well, easy to see, and had nice appearance.

Didn't I see someone selling a KG Works gauge hood recently?

SM16RMSM
08-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Fast, I would agree with you on. IMHO, I don't like a pillar mount. But I did found an answer and Yata got to answer me on this since he did a gauge install in his cluster.

I quoting this from Innovate
"The depth of the gauge is 1 1/4". To allow room for the wires I would allow 2 1/2" of depth."

Will this work for installing it inside the cluster Yata?