PDA

View Full Version : Type of gas?

maharaj
10-05-2012, 08:43 AM
I have no idea which thread to post this in, so I am posting it here.

Okay, so we all drive our cars to the gas station to get gas but has anyone REALLY questioned the quality of gas/grade that you are getting? The reason that I ask this is because when you go to a station that has only one nozzle and you press a button for your grade selection isn't there a possibility that if you select "Premium" and the person before you used "Regular" couldn't that be in the hose or wherever the switch occurs and vice versa? Just a random thought. Since I run 93 I usually try to visit stations that have more than one nozzle which is usually Hess stations and a few Racetrac stations. The reason that I bring this up is my dad mentioned to me that in the 70's in the gas/oil shortage that people would still get some remaining gas from the nozzle after turning off the pump. Thoughts?

Phatmiata
10-05-2012, 08:50 AM
I pumped some gas the other day, and before I even started pumping a good amount came out of the hose and almost went all over my car, had to be at least half a bottles worth!! I thought I had broken something! Ractrac Gas on hwy-60 (Brandon) near the Valrico Walmart

The Driver
10-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Yes, you will get a bit of the non 93 gas in your tank. How much? That depends on how much fuel you end up purchasing. If you only buy a gallon, you may end up with 10-15% of your just purchased fuel being non 93 octane. If you end up buying say 11 gallons, it will be 1% or less. In other words, it will not be enough to make a significant impact.

3MiataFamily
10-31-2012, 11:44 PM
Someone really needs to get a grip on reality...do you REALLY think that the 6-8 ounces of whatever fuel in the hose is going to make a difference in the 12 gallons that the tank holds?

CeeJaayDM
11-01-2012, 02:42 AM
everything will be okay :)

maharaj
11-01-2012, 06:21 AM
Eh, well do we ever put in 12 gallons of gas? Maybe 11, but no tank is completely empty. Putting in even half a gallon of a different grade is only 4% of the 11 gallons which really wouldn't have an effect. I guess my gripe wasn't sooo much about the overall amount but more from the consumer stand point as to getting what we pay for. If I am paying for 10 gallons of premium, I'd expect 10 gallons of premium, not 9 and a half. It's almost like paying for a gallon of milk, being given a half gallon, and then told that the other half was lost during transport of some BS like that. I just want what I pay for.

3MiataFamily
11-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Then lift the hose and drain it completely so that there is nothing left..you got what you paid for..plus another few ounces of what the guy before you left in the loop of the hose

and I regularly put in between 10.5 and 11 gallons in my tank..I run the sucker pretty dry..but then again, i also run at least 2..and sometimes 3 tanks a week..I drive my Miata a LOT...mostly for work