PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problems? please help

JonJon
10-18-2012, 12:17 PM
whats up guys, i think i have an issue with my clutch and i was hoping if you could help me determine what it might be before purchasing anything.

So for awhile now, whenever i engaged the clutch i would hear a 'hissing' type sound. It was like that for months. it progressively got worse, just a tad. The other day i was driving and the clutch pedal got stuck halfway while i was at a stoplight in neutral. i pumped the clutch a few times and it finally released. but it was extremely soft. after a few min it went back to normal. this was about a week ago. a couple days ago i turned on my car and i heard a screeching/ringing type of noise when i was in neutral, clutch NOT engaged. i engaged the clutch and it went away. last night i was driving my car and whenever i engaged the clutch i could feel a noticeable vibration in the clutch pedal. today, i drove my car to school and i hear that same screeching/ringing sound when im in gear, as im driving. i believe also when im in neutral. basically whenever the clutch is disengaged. it goes away once i engage the clutch, and comes back when i disengage.

thoughts?

couple of buddies of mine suggested it might be the throwout bearing, another couple of buddies said it could be the slave cylinder. perhaps air in the lines. perhaps even the clutch.

i looked up a few threads, but none of their "symptoms" seem to be like mine.

Demon I Am
10-18-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking it's a TOB, personally. My girlfriend had a similar issue on the SpecV, but she found out that part of the flywheel had shattered. Hopefully, it's not that, but be prepared to replace everything while you are in there.

Winlowe
10-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Sounds like throwout bearing to me too good luck I just replaced my clutch 10 months ago by myself, get a helper when you do your and it will will be quick and easy

JonJon
10-18-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm thinking it's a TOB, personally. My girlfriend had a similar issue on the SpecV, but she found out that part of the flywheel had shattered. Hopefully, it's not that, but be prepared to replace everything while you are in there.

whoaa! yea i hope not lol. well i suppose if im going to drop the tranny might as well upgrade while im at it.

Sounds like throwout bearing to me too good luck I just replaced my clutch 10 months ago by myself, get a helper when you do your and it will will be quick and easy

if it is JUST the throw out bearing that really sucks, cuz thats not even that expensive -__- ill try to get a friend to help me out with it

Phatmiata
10-18-2012, 12:59 PM
How many miles are on the clutch? or if you are not sure, then how many miles are on the car?

JonJon
10-18-2012, 01:00 PM
How many miles are on the clutch? or if you are not sure, then how many miles are on the car?

not sure about the clutch, 70k on the car.

Phatmiata
10-18-2012, 02:03 PM
if its the original clutch you might as well get ready to change out the clutch and bearing anyhow.

JonJon
10-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Purchased an act clutch. Will install it this Saturday. We'll see how it goes