PDA

View Full Version : Metal fender flares/VIP style fenders on a Miata

Opgedronken
10-19-2012, 04:48 PM
So, Ive been contemplating getting Fujimura Auto flares for my Miata, but they'll cost an arm and a leg.
Considering my previous experience with the fit and finish of some JDM body parts I'm pretty cautious about ordering them.
I'm talking about these:

http://ra64freddy.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/p15.jpg

They look very much like the flares people do on VIP styled saloons from Japan, but riveted on insted of molded.
Like so:

http://cdn.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/AY0F5930_xqoi_0.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has or knows about metal fender flares being done on a Miata.

Phatmiata
10-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Every part I have purchased from Japan has been spot on perfect, even the FRP parts line up perfect and have the holes pre-drilled for mounting, with very little prep prior to painting. I will say that most I have bought from Tuners that are mostly exclusive to MX5 Roadsters though. What did you get from Japan previous that did not mount correctly? Just curious.

And to answer your question, I am not aware of metal fenders for Miata.

Opgedronken
10-19-2012, 05:37 PM
So far the stuff I haven't been impressed about are:

Jubiride flares; very bad finish on them, they are far from symmetrical side to side and the cutouts for the rivets are very unpronounced, as is the beltline.
Trap flush finish panel; Just so amazingly crooked, that's why I got myself a European made flush panel.
RS Aizawa front bumper; I have to admit the fitment is spot on, but again it's not exactly symmetrical and all the vents require a lot of attention to look perfect.
Zoom fuel lid: the unpolished casting is very rough and it doesn't fit perfectly. I don't like the way this one mounts very much either, as the clamping force is directed onto the paint of the quarter panel.

I've fixed the fuel lid, but it cost me a lot of meticulous grinding to get it to sit perfectly.
Now I just have to fabricate some kind of spacer so the clamping force is on the bottom of the fluel filler area instead of on the body (if that makes sense).

Maybe I'm just overly concerned with these details as I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice a lot of these small flaws.
I'm not saying any of these are bad pieces per sé, but I don't think they warrant the JDM "quality" hype :P.

As for the flares, I remember a dark blue Miata from Japan having molded in flares which looked pretty good, but I can't find pics of it anymore.

Phatmiata
10-19-2012, 06:01 PM
I owned an RS-Aizawa front bumper fitted once, had a few Bomex parts, also spot on, and Original Garage Vary Winding Dancer (Not the knock off VIS stuff on eBay) and the original GV products fits perfect too, I have the Tuckin99 Flares, they line up great, as well as the NoPro front bumper, just have not had time to check for fitment yet as I did not have a Miata to install it on at the time I bought it. But like I said ive had really great luck with the parts from Japan.

I have also seen the really bad knockoffs on ebay, like the Vaders, Wisdom, and REs versions of the Veilside, Garage Vary, & RE-Amemiya fronts for Miata, the knockoffs have been passed around from several members in my local club because nobody wants to mess with it. The RE was such a bad copy it was actually 2 inches wider that the stock nose, and my friend took it to a body shop that told him they would have to cut it in half and rebuild it hahahah

I dont have first hand experience with Jubiride or Trap so I cannot comment there.

as for a Dark Blue Miata with molded flares there was one called Dave Crocket, but it has very mild flares and custom front bumper that looks like a porsche, but pretty sure those flares are FRP too. I think metal flares would just be cost prohibitive, especially for a 20 year old NA.

Opgedronken
10-19-2012, 06:12 PM
I believe the genuine JDM front bumpers all have pretty good fitment from what I've read. As I said my RSA bumper fits perfectly too.
It's just some details that bug me for instance the center hole's corners don't all have the exact same radius.
Replica bumpers never fit well, but that's common knowledge I think :P.
I'll take some pics of the Jubiride flares, because it's just redicoulous how different they are side to side.
That said, I'm going to try and fix the Jubiride flares for a fun project :P.

If I'm doing metal flares I will be doing them myself so cost will not be a real problem, I'm just looking for pics of miata's with molded flares (the angular type).

Tkblazer
10-19-2012, 08:17 PM
A local body guy and Toyota aficionado did that to his miata a while back