PDA

View Full Version : I love my Miata, but...

The Driver
10-24-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm almost positive I won't be getting a turbo for it.

I have owned two NA Miatas (Miatae?) back to back since Sept 30 2001. I'll never get read off my Miata, unless it gets totaled; and then it just would get replaced by another NA.

But being a numbers person (I'm an Auditor with a well earned accounting degree), the cost of turboing my NA the "RIGHT WAY" is a little over a third of the projected cost of something like say... A BOSS 302... In any event, I'll be keeping my NA until I can no longer chase after beautiful women (meaning about 6 months after I'm dead), but yellow/orange used BOSS 302 or C6 Z06 is what's in the horizon for this guy.

Honestly, I only briefly owned a V8 once, and with the new technology being applied to powerful V8's I'd be crazy not to get one...

It's just a weird feeling...

I<3flippyheadlights
10-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Uh, whats the cost of doing it the right way?

Phatmiata
10-24-2012, 11:15 AM
V8 Swap, the guys from V8Roadsters are located right here in the Tampa area! Problem solved

The Driver
10-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Uh, whats the cost of doing it the right way?

That can vary per person. What I have on my spreadsheet right know, and so long as nothing goes wrong is $8,179 + - $1,000. Again this is describing and accounting the way I feel it would let me sleep at night after the project is (would have been) completed.

Phatmiata
10-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Turbo or V8, that is the question................

The Driver
10-24-2012, 12:19 PM
V8 Swap, the guys from V8Roadsters are located right here in the Tampa area! Problem solved
So was I... But I'm moving back to Denver in less than 5 weeks. How much will a V8R swap cost, and how much could I finance at a low rate??? :wink:

Turbo or V8, that is the question................

That is a good question! :)

I<3flippyheadlights
10-24-2012, 02:46 PM
I have read the V8 build threads, and they all budget at 10 thousand. Some go over, some don't. Andrew in the local club built his Miata with 10 grand and thats on the second engine!

And what turbo build are you doing that costs 9 grand? 300 horses? Do a simple turbo build with a solid kit that will nab you 200 horses. Shouldn't cost you more then 5 grand. You can always go up from there!

The Driver
10-24-2012, 02:58 PM
^Please re-read my previous post. The issue is not that it can be done for less, the issue is to build a turbo car that I will be comfortably reliable with. Phat can do a coilover/dash replacement in a matter of hours. If I don't farm that work (coilover replacement) I would need a a couple of weeks.

Replacing an engine/head for taking (for lack of a better word, but it's not the most accurate) short cuts is not something that I'm prepared to do. It may give me a very fast/reliable car, or it may not. If I was to do this, I would want to be assured that every weak link in the system has been upgraded. That's is why my cost is calculated on that dollar amount.

I<3flippyheadlights
10-24-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm interested to see your build to the dollar amount. What exactly do you feel like you have to do? And at the end of the day, spending 9k on a car you love to make it that much more awesome will give you many more smiles then spending 30k on a bought car.

But then again, no one gives a shit about a great Miata compared to a restored Mustang or corvette. Our cars are for hairdressers and chicks.

Phatmiata
10-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Drive your Miata to Tampa, Drop off at V8Roadsters for engine swap

Buy a cheaper car like a Honda or toyota for your daily driver while you are here, drive said Honda/Toyota back to Denver.

Later get call from V8Roadsters that your car is complete, fly down to Tampa, pick up V8 Miata and drive home. :mrgreen:

Phatmiata
10-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Wait a second, you said you are moving to Denver, CO?

Scratch that..............

Move to Denver, CO, visit Flying Miata in Palisade, CO. ask to get a ride in a Turbo and or V8 Miata and THEN make your choice! hahaha WIN

The Driver
10-24-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm interested to see your build to the dollar amount. What exactly do you feel like you have to do? And at the end of the day, spending 9k on a car you love to make it that much more awesome will give you many more smiles then spending 30k on a bought car.

But then again, no one gives a shit about a great Miata compared to a restored Mustang or corvette. Our cars are for hairdressers and chicks.
Will post in a bit! BTW, I have an itch that only 400+ hp can cure...

Drive your Miata to Tampa, Drop off at V8Roadsters for engine swap

Buy a cheaper car like a Honda or toyota for your daily driver while you are here, drive said Honda/Toyota back to Denver.

Later get call from V8Roadsters that your car is complete, fly down to Tampa, pick up V8 Miata and drive home. :mrgreen:

ANd how much $$$ is that going to cost? If it's more that what I can afford, I'll need a raise for my moderator duties... :sadness:

RotorNutFD3S
10-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Mind sharing your cost breakdown and what parts/weak links you're looking at addressing?

Turn key from FM with all brand new crate parts (LS3) is about $30k.

The Driver
10-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Wait a second, you said you are moving to Denver, CO?

Scratch that..............

Move to Denver, CO, visit Flying Miata in Palisade, CO. ask to get a ride in a Turbo and or V8 Miata and THEN make your choice! hahaha WIN

FM wants $20K to $35K for a V8 car...

The Driver
10-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Trackspeed Engineering:
Toyota COPS 300.00
harmonic damper 322.00

Flying Miata:
FM Happy Meal clutch & flywheel 650.00

FM (mini) 4 brake Kit 659.00

FM hard oil & water lines 160.00
FM exhaust brace 30.00
Inconel Manifold studs kit 90.00
FM 3 inch exhaust 820.00
FM turbo kit + Hydra 5,200.00
FM high pressure radiator cap 24.00
FM radiator & fans 833.00
Moroso oil separator 178.00
Moroso coolant overflow tank 184.00

Phatmiata
10-24-2012, 03:30 PM
BTW, I have an itch that only 400+ hp can cure...

Have you ever driven a 160hp NA, or 200hp NA, or 250hp NA?

My car is only 160hp NA6 s/c and its a blast! I can beat a lot of cars with it. Do you remember "Gee" He took his NA6 turbo to 200hp, it was very fast when he took me in a ride in it, then he uped it to 250hp, it was crazy fast, and then finally 300hp was just stupid fast! Even he said it was too much hp for an NA.

so WTF do you need 400+hp NA for? that is not a daily, you cannot even a drive a 250hp NA safely in the rain.

Blueiii
10-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Just as an FYI, I've been chasing down TWO Boss 302 mustangs in this season in the solo II RTR class. I'm running on 21 year old suspension in a car that, minus the hard top, cost me $1,600. I'm within a second of them, and I'm pretty sure that with a set of shocks I'd be faster. Food for thought!

The Driver
10-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Have you ever driven a 160hp NA, or 200hp NA, or 250hp NA?

My car is only 160hp NA6 s/c and its a blast! I can beat a lot of cars with it. Do you remember "Gee" He took his NA6 turbo to 200hp, it was very fast when he took me in a ride in it, then he uped it to 250hp, it was crazy fast, and then finally 300hp was just stupid fast! Even he said it was too much hp for an NA.

so WTF do you need 400+hp NA for? that is not a daily, you cannot even a drive a 250hp NA safely in the rain.

Not a 400 miata, but a 400hp car! I have driven a couple of 250+ but below 300 hp Miatas. It was FUN, hence wanting to turbo mine. I honestly was looking more for like 240 hp on the Miata. But again, the cost of making my Miata modified to my comfort level is almost a 1/3 (at this point 1/4, but I'll be buying USED in two years) of what a BOSS 302/C6Z06 would go for.

BTW, when you live 1 mile high, a car looses 10-15% power due to altitude and supercharges are WOEFULLY inneficcient at that altitude also. Turbo or normally aspirated engines fare A LOT better.

Phatmiata
10-24-2012, 04:06 PM
The reason all the newer cars have 200, 300, 400hp is because they are heavy as hell.

The Driver
10-24-2012, 04:11 PM
The reason all the newer cars have 200, 300, 400hp is because they are heavy as hell.

A BOSS 302 is heavy due to muscle, not due to the looks of the women Yatta is attracted to. A C6Z06 is as heavy as my former Porsche 968 with TWICE the power! And that 'ol Porsche was pretty fast!

I<3flippyheadlights
10-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Have fun taking turns in a mustang and vette. :whistle:

The Driver
10-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Have fun taking turns in a mustang and vette. :whistle:

Huh? I love my Miata, but if you think that Miata's are the best handling cars offered in the U.S. you just have not driven a lot of high performance cars. Miata's are the best handling cars FOR THE MONEY and that is indisputable. In canyon drives at high altitude, even turbo Miatas get WHOOPED. I'm not planning to track my cars, as that does nothing for me, and autocrossing is not for me either.

Driving as fast as I can LEGALLY get away with is my game. Love my Miata, but this thing is not where High performance ends, more like where it starts...

Blueiii
10-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Driving as fast as I can LEGALLY get away with is my game. Love my Miata, but this thing is not where High performance ends, more like where it starts...

Problem solved - both a stock miata and a stock lambo can legally top out at 45 mph in a 45 mph zone. :)

The Driver
10-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Problem solved - both a stock miata and a stock lambo can legally top out at 45 mph in a 45 mph zone. :)

Yeah, NOT what I had in mind... Out west "prudent speeds" often superseed posted speed limits. What is "prudent", ahh thats where the gray area is...

Martin
10-24-2012, 04:33 PM
But the Lambo gets to 45 more quickly ;)

The Driver
10-24-2012, 04:36 PM
But the Lambo gets to 45 more quickly ;)

Yeah! But a Lambo is not in my equation... Got to buy a house also, its not like I could shower in a Lambo and take a 30 year morgage on it...

Martin
10-24-2012, 04:53 PM
But a Boss gets to 45 more quickly ;)
Fixed that for me!

The Driver
10-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Fixed that for me!

:cheers:

Yeah buddy!

roy obanion
10-24-2012, 05:17 PM
I know of at least one person who went from a 220hp MSM to a stock NC and said he couldn't be happier. I know of a couple others who said if they were doing it over that they would not be that interested in the MSM. I know I enjoy my 91 with a 1.6 a lot more than my 95 with a 1.8. But I know I would want rides in turbo or v8 miatas before taking the plunge. I do really like the sound of a v8, but I could see where you are making too much power for the tires you can run and the wheelbase you are working with. I definitely dig the current mustangs and would consider a used one a few years down the road. Not that I ever see not owning at least one miata...they are too fun and for the money they can't be beat.

The Driver
10-24-2012, 05:28 PM
I know of at least one person who went from a 220hp MSM to a stock NC and said he couldn't be happier. I know of a couple others who said if they were doing it over that they would not be that interested in the MSM. I know I enjoy my 91 with a 1.6 a lot more than my 95 with a 1.8. But I know I would want rides in turbo or v8 miatas before taking the plunge. I do really like the sound of a v8, but I could see where you are making too much power for the tires you can run and the wheelbase you are working with. I definitely dig the current mustangs and would consider a used one a few years down the road. Not that I ever see not owning at least one miata...they are too fun and for the money they can't be beat.

This I can agree with. I do not see myself without a Miata. Just too much darned fun, but it is NOT the only car/configuration that Ihave the Jones for!

Phatmiata
10-24-2012, 05:41 PM
What about an NC with a SuperCharger? Engine power increases to approximately 240 hp at the wheels!

Or maybe wait for the ND with the Turbo?

The Driver
10-24-2012, 05:48 PM
What about an NC with a SuperCharger? Engine power increases to approximately 240 hp at the wheels!

Or maybe wait for the ND with the Turbo?

:burnout: :admin:

I WANT POWAH!

afc2112
10-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Randy,

If he doesn't want to pay to turbo an NA, what makes you think he'll pay extra to buy an NC AND modify it?

That just doesn't make any financial sense to me. Not only that, it still won't reach his criteria of a 400hp+ car.

The Driver
10-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Randy,

If he doesn't want to pay to turbo an NA, what makes you think he'll pay extra to buy an NC AND modify it?

That just doesn't make any financial sense to me. Not only that, it still won't reach his criteria of a 400hp+ car.

Darned Arvin, so nice to see ya!

Dang it peeps, I didn't say I was going to burned every Miata on my sight! But Randy even @ 240hp at the crank, (which is like 200 @ the wheels) and if you deduct 10-15% due to altitude, that leaves barely 150/160 at the wheels!

maharaj
10-24-2012, 07:19 PM
So do the V8....with proper planning and talking to people that have actually done it before it is not that bad. There are plenty of ways to save money with the 302, as far as the LS :shrug::shrug:

The Driver
10-24-2012, 07:29 PM
So do the V8....with proper planning and talking to people that have actually done it before it is not that bad. There are plenty of ways to save money with the 302, as far as the LS :shrug::shrug:

Not a wrench head. Call it part of my ADHD or that I'm nuts; but besides getting out of OK, I'm moving to Denver for skiing, rock climbing/bouldering and improve my running. Nothing like trail running in high altitude to get in AMAZING shape FAST. There are three reasons why I don't autocross/track my car: 1) Weekends are where long training runs/races/skiing/climbing is done. 2) The cost would not let me run races or buy/rent climbing/skiing gear 3) Time. Not a trust fund dude, so I have to work!

Again, Miata is not the ONLY answer in performance. If I can get a bargain in a well sorted out V8/turbo Miata, heck yeah I'll right a check. But as of now and the foreseeable future, I don't see it.

BTW, I know that emissions is not a problem in FL, but it is one in CO.

DK Wolf
10-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Oh driver is an accountant? New online best friend, I'm studying accounting and plan on getting my undergrad with it, and later accumulating credits for a CPA down the line.

Will probably be referring you in regards to questions and advice... hope you don't mind this shameless advantage taking.

The Driver
10-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Oh driver is an accountant? New online best friend, I'm studying accounting and plan on getting my undergrad with it, and later accumulating credits for a CPA down the line.

Will probably be referring you in regards to questions and advice... hope you don't mind this shameless advantage taking.

To be a CPA, you need to pass a 4 part exam within the 75 percentile of those taking it with you, after you have completed a total of 150 hours undergrad, with 36+ hours of accounting classes, as set by your states board of accountancy.

Good luck, that shitz is HARD!

DK Wolf
10-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Pfft.... doesn't sound too hard.

I'll work towards my CPA, but I have no idea how long it will take to get it once I get my Bachelors. But I'd like to get it out within 4 years at least.

The Driver
10-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Pfft.... doesn't sound too hard.

I'll work towards my CPA, but I have no idea how long it will take to get it once I get my Bachelors. But I'd like to get it out within 4 years at least.

:hijacked:

It is hard, VERY.

But lets get back @ me being a lowlife for wanting to drive something other than a Miata... :oops:

iRoadster
10-24-2012, 08:01 PM
e39 M5. 400hp, done.

The Driver
10-24-2012, 08:07 PM
e39 M5. 400hp, done.

I've gone the sauerkraut route before. Not again, unless is buying a late 80's model Carrera with a 3.6 Engine or a CLEAN 93-94 Carrera 2.

A modded 914 with a (whatever) engine, would be cool too!

wannafbody
10-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Grow a mullet, buy a used Fbody and then slap a cam in it-done.

DK Wolf
10-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Fucking seriously?

Panther Body.... Blower... tub it.... toowood be the sex.
Not to mention a Marauder is pretty tits, slow.... but still tits

The Driver
10-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Grow a mullet, buy a used Fbody and then slap a cam in it-done.

And who gets to collect on the insurance after I drive off a cliff in CO, you?

Nope, BOSS 302 or C6Z06 is where is at!

iRoadster
10-24-2012, 08:17 PM
You do mean the 1969-70 302's right, and not the 2012 remake?

The Driver
10-24-2012, 08:18 PM
You do mean the 1969-70 302's right, and not the 2012 remake?

The later, not the former... Except that I'd be buying a late prod 2012 or an 2013, and bolt a 500KR tranny on it, just for safety.

Why?

iRoadster
10-24-2012, 08:26 PM
I was wondering how you were going to find an old one for around $30k. Them shits is expensive.:teehee:

The Driver
10-24-2012, 08:28 PM
I was wondering how you were going to find an old one for around $30k. Them shits is expensive.:teehee:

Yeah, they do look nice. They are also slower than a Fox 5.0, not interested.

afc2112
10-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Not a wrench head. Call it part of my ADHD or that I'm nuts; but besides getting out of OK, I'm moving to Denver for skiing, rock climbing/bouldering and improve my running. Nothing like trail running in high altitude to get in AMAZING shape FAST. There are three reasons why I don't autocross/track my car: 1) Weekends are where long training runs/races/skiing/climbing is done. 2) The cost would not let me run races or buy/rent climbing/skiing gear 3) Time. Not a trust fund dude, so I have to work!

Again, Miata is not the ONLY answer in performance. If I can get a bargain in a well sorted out V8/turbo Miata, heck yeah I'll right a check. But as of now and the foreseeable future, I don't see it.

BTW, I know that emissions is not a problem in FL, but it is one in CO.

I totally get where you're at.

I'm not a big wrencher either and I won't apologize for having hobbies outside of cars.

BTW, when you get that 400 hp monster. Take it up to Pike's Peak. I hear it's a cool drive. :)

The Driver
10-24-2012, 09:55 PM
I totally get where you're at.

I'm not a big wrencher either and I won't apologize for having hobbies outside of cars.

BTW, when you get that 400 hp monster. Take it up to Pike's Peak. I hear it's a cool drive. :)

Renaissance men get a hard time in this modern times...

RandolphB
10-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Why are you fixed on a C6 ZO6? The best bang for the buck is a C5 ZO6, and many, many people prefer the C5 version to the C6 version for overall feel. The C6 has better numbers, but the C5 is a bucket more fun to drive. Folks in my local Vette club are lamenting trading in their C5's for the C6s...every time we get together, they all have to sit in mine and regret getting rid of theirs.

I got my '02 ZO6 for $21,000.00 and it was a $75,000.00 car new. Third owner and it had 65,000 miles on it. It is actualy worth more now than two years ago. The thing is scarey fast and handles amazing, once you learn how to drive it. It is the second lightest Vette ever made to that point with 405 factory HP. It gets 25-27 on the highway as it has two overdrive gears and is relaible as all get out. I won't say on a public forum how fast it easily goes for a long distance.

That said, my Miata is back to being just a fun car and without trying to build it into something it wasn't supposed to be powerwise, it is an even more enjoyable ride.

The Driver
10-24-2012, 10:51 PM
I like the way the C5Z06 looks, but every time I see a yellow/orange C6Z06, my heart skips a beat. When the time comes it will either be a BOSS or a Z06, whichever deal gets to be better. Vette's have a HUGE insurance advantage, and that alone may make a tie breaker!

RotorNutFD3S
10-25-2012, 09:37 AM
I'd go for the Z06, I'd take a C5 or C6 though, they're both good looking and it's too easy to make either a lot faster if needed. :)

you cannot even a drive a 250hp NA safely in the rain.

I still don't understand statements like these, why not? My NA had that much if not just a bit more power at the wheels and it drove in the rain the same way my n/a NB does now. Proper throttle control with a turbo is key, but it's just like driving any other car, especially those with more power.

Kuane
10-25-2012, 10:25 AM
So just get one. I don't see what the problem is.

The Driver
10-25-2012, 10:51 AM
So just get one. I don't see what the problem is.

I will, I just wanted to express it in writing. I most certainly didn't expect all this to come out of it...