PDA

View Full Version : 96 montego blue how much?

nickpic83
11-05-2012, 07:51 PM
found what i think is a decent car

VIN # JM1NA3539T0707836
Inspection is good till next November

"1996 Mazda Miata
Montego blue Color(rare color)
1.8 Liter
5 speed manual ( very fun to drive)
Polk Audio component Speakers installed
JL Audio speakers in the headrest
MB Quart Amplifier( Sound is amazingly crisp, loud, and clear)
All Leather interior
Interior 9.5/10 and Exterior is 9/10---> amazing condition for a 16 year old car!
14 in gold wheels-(stock wheels painted)
It get 27 mpg for a sports car! I have the Car Fax as well"

after talking to him i got this info:
-WP/TB- done during the 120k maitenance at 117k
-clutch at 80k
-brakes are ok will need to be changed probably by spring
-i saw many pics and the car is mint with no rust on the body and barely any under the car. looked to be light surface rust here and there.
-top is newer and in great shape, no leaks
-leather is good as is the rest of the interior. no rips, tears, etc...
-car is all stock besides the painted wheels and stereo system

he is asking $3700 got him done to $3000 so far, gonna look at the car tomorrow. what do you guys think is a good price to buy this at?

morr
11-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Well according to KBB.com (http://www.kbb.com/mazda/miata-mx-5/1996-mazda-miata-mx-5/convertible-2d/?vehicleid=9339&intent=buy-used&mileage=127000&options=344213|true&condition=good&pricetype=private-party#survey) you could probably talk him down some more. Unfortunately, people still keep raising their asking price on NA's even tho the car isn't really increasing in value.

nickpic83
11-05-2012, 08:29 PM
yeah it depends what u look at. another couple sites stated 3k or so and some were like right around 2800. the car really seems clean and well kept. engine bay picks were even clean. i am still gonna try to talk him down but i wanted to see what everyone else thought as KBB and other sites never seem to be any where near what people are getting for the NA's

morr
11-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Yeah lately people have been asking like 2 grand over the actual value of the car.

nickpic83
11-05-2012, 08:35 PM
yeah ive went and looked at some bombs lately for a decent coin. this is the 1st promising one ive seen that may almost be worth it

I<3flippyheadlights
11-05-2012, 09:34 PM
3k for a clean stock Miata with an owner that seems somewhat competent is an awesome price. Come down to FL, the prices are crazy. My biggest question is this, any rust? Seems like a really sweet deal. You said it had leather, does that mean it has ABS, Cruise Control, Power windows? Could be a PEP package which means a torsen diff. I would be super interested in it honestly. But, thats come from a guy that bought a 90 Miata for 1500 bucks and poured tons of money in it and realized I screwed myself. :P

nickpic83
11-05-2012, 09:46 PM
LoL. i asked multiple times and he always says no. i looked over the pics he sent many times looking for rust and the body looks to be clear and under the car seesm to only have light surface rust. i know it has power windows and leather, not sure about the rest. i really hope it has torsen diff

I<3flippyheadlights
11-05-2012, 09:52 PM
My car didn't have rust either... till I got under it and punched a hole through my floor. I would get it on a lift or jackstands and knock around. You're up north, rust is your enemy. Poor water on the top near the trunk. See if water goes into the trunk and watch to see it come out of the rocker panels. If you don't see water coming out of the rocker panels, be scared.

nickpic83
11-05-2012, 09:58 PM
be afraid be very afraid lol. thanks ill def check that out.

ok so i looked at the pics again and the car does have cruise control. so yes it has leather, cruise, and power windows. is it possible to have these and not have ABS and torsen diff?

I<3flippyheadlights
11-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Not too sure actually. I know the the M edition of the montego was a 94. You will just have to do burnouts to find out if it has a torsen! :D

nickpic83
11-05-2012, 10:21 PM
well that just happens to be one of my specialties!

nickpic83
11-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Morning bump before I go see it tonight

The Driver
11-06-2012, 10:23 AM
O.K. Lot of misinformation here... Let's start with the basic. The NA Miatas are already approaching twenty years of age, long pass the point were NADA/Blue Book values mean anything. Yes it is a bit of a buyers market, particularly with the winter approaching; but NA's are appreciating and have been for the past three years or so. That every now and then someone scores a good value (aka, the San Antonio kid who score a low miles 93LE for peanuts) it happens so infrequently as to be a statistical anomaly. Basically clean NA's will cost some mullah, sorry to bust any bubbles.

2nd, ALL FACTORY NA leather (tan only folks, black leather on NA's were dealer installed) with a 5 speed will have cruise control/power antenna/power windows and a Torsen. PEP cars are NA cars with a black interior/power windows/cruise and a Torsen and I prefer those to a factory leather car, but I had a HARD time finding one when it was time to replace my Merlot.

With that said, yes just because this car was for sale before the storm, does not mean that it properly survived the storm. Please check the car accordingly.

Caveat: This cars are so old, that the Torsen may have been sold out, so yeah, a bit of burn out will quickly show you if it still has it or not.

Good luck OP, let us now!