PDA

View Full Version : "The Driver" owned Montego. A love born in reluctance...

The Driver
11-06-2012, 02:30 PM
My first Miata was a 95 Merlot, that I just LOVED to show of against Phat. Of course "The Phatness" was already worth my Merlot several times over, by the time I met Randy in the fall of 2002, but his car was still no Merlot, and I took EVERY opportunity to remind him! :Wink:

But by the spring of 2010, that Merlot had been to So Cal and back to FL, with long road trips throughout the original Confederate States (looking for places for a possible relocation) and a trip to NJ/NY to visit relatives. At this point the Merlot (Tamiko) had over 150K miles, using oil every 500 miles and the paint/interior had seen better days. Though I was planning to get a 99/00 engine and re do the interior, the car was hit HARD on the driver side quarter panel. Car had to go!

At this time, I was still unemployed (about 13 months and counting at that time) and my budget was for $5K or less. The car HAD to be clean with less than 90K miles and NA or NB with a stickshift. I didn't wanted a red car... or Montego... :fp:

I almost got a clean STO, in which I was going to transfer the cruise and the Torsen from the Merlot, but someone else snatch it. I criscrossed the State of FL, looking for the right car. No luck, everything was overpriced or flat out junk. The only car I liked was in Mazda of Sarasota. It was a white/tan leather car with 93K miles, but the car was PERFECT. Well, other than the ride height it was. They wanted $7,900 for it. I offered my $5K on the spot and they said no. I called a month later, the car was still there and they counter with $7,800!!! YEAH RIGHT!!!

Well, while perousing on Ebay, I found this CLEAN Montego/Leather package with a bad ad and the bids were staying low. Car was in Indianapolis where I have a childhood friend living. Low and behold my bid of $5K got the car! I bought two way tickets (just in case) and three weeks later I flew into Indy.

I was picked up @ the airport by the then owner (Lockheed Engineering Manager, good sign) and I showed him my certified check, but first I had to inspect the car. On our way to his house, a moron driver on burgundy 4door Gran Prix, hit us. We stopped after "giving chase", and there was no damage. That was weird... There was some surface rust, but nothing objectionable. The shocks were BLOWN, but everything else was good enough. Car came with NB '16's anchors. That is when I learned that heavy wheels on a Miata were no-no's!

In any event, before signing the pink slip, I told him that I wanted the car, but I wouln't pay $5K for that car since it had just been hit ;). We haggle for about 5-10 mins and he dropped the price by $300. $4,700 for a car with 47K miles, not bad!

The Driver
01-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Pics after FCM 600/375 coilover installation...

The Driver
01-21-2013, 09:43 PM
And before the coilovers...

The Driver
06-28-2013, 02:45 PM
From the Merlot I transferred to the Montego the following: BBS rims, FM sways, Tokico Illuminas, Entuza exhaust, East Miata short shift kit, FM motor mounts and the FM clutch. The FM clutch was improperly installed by my IDIOT cousin, and it barely lasted a month, before changing gears became an exercise in futility. The pressure plate was damaged due to improper torque in.

I was offered a job in Denver in September 2010. I left the car with Tim "The Toolman", but he could not figure out what was wrong with it. After only been in Denver for four months, and getting a transfer to New Orleans, I took the car to Maztech over @ Drew Park in Tampa.

Jeff @ Maztech diagnose and fixed the problem, and $600 later, the car was riding again.

I was in NOLA for 8 long months, and after management figuring out that I was about to take a job with another govt agency in Glendale, California they finally relented to let me leave New Orleans. I was offered D.C., OKC and Tulsa. Since the plan was to get back to Denver, I took Tulsa. Had I taken D.C. (Herndon, VA) I'd still be there...

While in Tulsa, just one drive through the Ozarks with the NEO Miata group (NorthEast OK), showed me that my current suspension was just not working. Yes, I had Illuminas, but the factory springs (red/blue dots out of a '91) where just not working for me. It was then that I started saving and SERIOUSLY researching which coilovers I was going to buy.

Before I got the coilovers, I took my 2002 TRD Tacoma 4X4 for a skiing trip/work training, to Denver. It was supposed to have been a weekend with an ex-gf from Denver. When I got to Denver, it had barely snowed (not good for skiing) and when I got to Denver, my ex-gf would not return my calls. She changed her mind... :onno:

It finally snowed a ton, during the last day of training. Before I left to go skiing, Skip Cannon, told me of the availability of a dealer painted '96 Montego HT. For those who don't know, Montego Blue was offered for 4 years (94-97) but though they all have the general same paint code, each year has a different shade. The HT had been painted at a Mazda dealer for a '96 Montego. The price given to me was $950. I gave a down of $400 and payed the rest in 4 months. So even though, I didn't get to see Melanie, since I had the truck, I was able to cart the HT to Tulsa. AWESOME!!!

I saved for 8 months, but by the 5 month of saving, I decided to get Fat Cat Motorsport Coilovers. Here is the thread:http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?3764-The-quot-REAL-quot-Fat-Cat-Motorsports-impressions-thread-by-quot-The-Driver-quot&highlight=Coilovers

Phatmiata
06-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Pics of said suspension? :teehee:

The Driver
06-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Pics of said suspension? :teehee:

Boss, your will is my command...

Pic: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?3687-What-did-you-get-for-your-NA

tsingson
06-28-2013, 04:26 PM
I seriously love the BBS' on Miatas.

The Driver
06-28-2013, 04:38 PM
I seriously love the BBS' on Miatas.

Thanks, I just tolerate them. I wish they were '7 as opposed to '6 wide. My goal is to get a set of 15X8's 6UL by next spring.

tsingson
06-28-2013, 04:57 PM
I am awaiting a set of 15" BBS basketweaves in a +25 offset from an E30. I can't wait.

The Driver
06-29-2013, 01:28 AM
I am awaiting a set of 15" BBS basketweaves in a +25 offset from an E30. I can't wait.

Those are SWEET!

The Driver
06-29-2013, 04:26 PM
After taken care of all the coolant hoses were replaced: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?5051-New-coolant-hoses-73K-miles&highlight=coolant+hoses&p=79122#post79122

The only other install was that of the V8R frame rails. Here is the thread: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?6026-V8-Roadster-frame-rails-an-install-odyssey&highlight=frame+rails&p=93044#post93044

The Driver
09-01-2013, 09:43 AM

The car before heading out to Flyin' Miata's Summer Camp.

tsingson
09-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Your build thread is like Halley's Comet. We only see it (or updated) every 75 years. :teehee:

Car looks great and I still love those BBS'.

The Driver
09-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Your build thread is like Halley's Comet. We only see it (or updated) every 75 years. :teehee:

Car looks great and I still love those BBS'.

Well, I have a new toy installed in the car, FM's STB! :)

Phatmiata
11-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Bump, just saw this guy at the office, wassup!! :slayer:

tsingson
11-30-2015, 12:05 PM
I haven't seen anything from this guy in a while.

Phatmiata
11-30-2015, 12:53 PM
I haven't seen anything from this guy in a while.

Too busy being the ladies man :teehee:

The Driver
10-17-2016, 07:48 PM
So... I've been doing some things to the Miata... And I just found out, that I haven't transferred the pics from the phone to the laptop yet...

The Driver
10-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Oh well, until the pics I'll tell what has happened...

So last fall, I finally started gathering the pieces for my project. First it was a BP4W head with the intake and fuel rail (from Austin Curry III, in Tampa). Then I got the BP5 camshaft (supposedly used, but it was brand new, from SJ Marcy in N.C.!). Then, I got 265cc "Purple Top" out of a Mazdaspeed injectors,from some dude out of Austin TX. Then I waited, and waited...

Finally, when the spring FINALLY arrived in May (we had a few snow storms fall in April and May), I sent the head to the machine shop recommended by Skip and who turned out to be the premier machine shop for the local Spec Miatas (Ridge Reamer, in Arvada, CO) for a 3 angle valve job, valve guides replaced, check the head and hot tank cleaning of the intake. I was called three days later by the machine shop manager, as the head was shot. I told forum member Skip Cannon, and while debating what to do, I contacted Austin Curry III, to let him know about the shot head. Austin, quickly responded and asked how could he make things right. I told him that I was still going to use the intake and the fuel rail, so I proposed to him a percentage of the price paid ($125) and he agreed and quickly Paypal the money. Little did I know that two days later Austin was getting married! Great person to do business with!

So, while still trying to figure out what to do, Skip Cannon calls me, and tells me that someone in Ft. Collins (which is 70 miles north of Denver), had a couple of BP4W heads that he was selling for $150... And Skip, told Pete (Pete Peterson) to hold one of the BP4W's to him. Skip, called to check if I was interested... HECK YEAH!!!

So, I got Pete's contact info, a couple of days later I went by his house, and Voila, for $150 I had a BP4W!!!

I took the BP4W to Ridge Reamer, and the second one was deemed in good shape.

In the meantime, I sent the injectors to be cleaned and blueprinted by Mr. Injectors in Idaho. The injectors were cleaned, blueprinted and the seals were replaced.

Then I talked to my friend Rick Barnes, of Grand Junction, CO (240 miles west of my house, and not far from Flyin' Miata) as he was going to be "project manager". We needed a date, as I was going to crash at his place, while we were going to do the job at "New Mexico dude's house".

The BP4W was going to be replaced, during the timing belt, water pump, all other belts, rollers and front seals job. "New Mexico dude", was going to assist during the build...

Then, i needed to figure out which Megasquirt, and where to get it from... While this was happening, the date kept getting pushed back by both Rick and I, until it was decided to do it after Flyin' Miata's "Summer Camp". Ultimately, I got the MS3 from Trackspeed Engineering.

Well, I had a college friend come to visit from Tampa, for his birthday, and it coincided with "Summer Camp". While at "Summer Camp", FM had a Wildwood BBK that was "used" (box opened, maybe installed, but never stopped on), collecting dust... I talked to "some people I know", and I bought the "used" BBK, with the proportioning valve and the stainless steel lines.

My beloved mother was coming in to visit early in the fall, and she was going to drive my Tacoma, while I drove the Miata to Grand Junction. My mother drove my Tacoma when I moved from Tulsa, to Denver. She drove the truck during 80 MPH winds through Kansas, while towing a 5K lbs trailer with my belongings, while I drove the Miata to CO.

But there are no cliffs when driving from OK to CO, but there are plenty of those going to Grand Junction, so at the last minute, I had to move the build weekend until after mom flew back to Tampa.

The Driver
10-17-2016, 09:33 PM
By the time Mom was in town, Rick was not going to be able to work on the project, so "New Mexico dude" was now "project manager". "New Mexico dude" is an FM employee and was allowed certain liberties, in regards of this build... Bill Cardell, if you read this, THANKS!.

So, drive day arrived. There was a threat of snow in the mountains, so I didn't leave until it was the warmest temp of the day (about 68 degrees, sunny")... I left Denver, and about 90 miles unto the drive I was hit with a light snow storm, on summer tires... The storm followed me from outside of Breckenridge (Frisco), to West Vail, roughly 70 miles or so. Luckily, after West Vail, is where the dessert starts, so the last 80 miles or so where quite uneventful.

I made it to FM, where I followed "New Mexico dude", to his house, where I parked the car in the garage. We started got the car up in jackstands, and removed the front brakes before we call it at might. Rick picked me up, and took me to the eat, then we drove to Rick's house.

The following morning I was picked up at Rick's, and proceeded to do the tear down. We had to do a couple of trips to the parts store, which may or may have not included getting some parts @ FM... So fuel lines, vacuum lines, rear rotors and some other misc stuff was bought.

"NM dude" turned out to be one heck of a mechanic. The water pump was found to be leaking, so the cold temps I got on my way to GJ, helped preserve the engine!

So the timing belt, rollers, belts, front seals, and fuel lines were all replaced. Then, the BP4W. Everything was done and assembled by Sunday night, when I was forced to stay at "NM dude's" place, because the car didn't start. The fuel lines were backwards, but by then it was 2:30 am Monday, and we had been working on the car since 8 am, Sunday. The car wasn't finished until Monday evening, after we had gone through 8 or 9 brake cleaner cans. "NM dude" likes to clean with brake cleaner...

So at 10:00 PM Monday, the car was DONE. We had supper, cooked by "NM dude's" lovely gf, and after supper we went for a "shake down" drive. During the build the biggest problem we had before the failed engine start, was the passenger side rear brake line, which even after putting it in a vise, it would not budge.

The Driver
10-17-2016, 09:51 PM
I loved how the engine ran, and I broke in the brakes after leaving Grand Junction. The car ran great, and a lot quieter than before. There was some added vibration @ idle, and a lot more valve noise, also @ idle.

My former supervisor, who's a Ford guy, saw the car the Sunday that the Bucs were pulverized by the Broncos (talk about conflicted feelings) and stated that the noises were coming louder from the exhaust cam.

A week later my friend Jonathan Pressman, who had volunteered to install the 2002 BRG soft top that I have had collecting dust for 5 years, would install it, @ Skip's place. I bought a new rain rail from Goodwin Racing. After the "new top" was on, I told Skip that the belts were squeeling. Skip showed me step by step on how to tighten the power steering and alternator belt. Skip told me that when he replaces the front belts, he over torques them past the factory torque settings, so that way they don't require to be re-torqued.

A week later the valve issue was also taken cared of at Skip's place. Not only does Skip has almost any tool imaginable, he also owns the rare "shim factory" tool, which enables you to keep the timing belt and the cams in place while checking for shims clearance. Nick Lyle, a friend from Boulder helped with that.

It was determined that the exhaust side #1 had a shim that was too tight. Spece are .011, that one was @ .008. Luckily, I only drove the Miata for ~ 700 miles and in cooler weather, so the valve didn't burn, we think...

After Nick and I bottomed everything up, the car was still almost making as much racket as a diesel truck... Oh well! Also, while re-installing the FM shock brace, Skip suggested I placed washers on the passenger side, as the brace was hitting the NB intake. No more weird noises at idle, well other than the valves...

After lunch, we drove over to Nick's place to replace the vacuum lines, and install the FM master cylinder brace that Skip had lying around, and sold it to me CHEAP!

The car currently drives and feels like a NEW CAR. It has finally fulfilled it's mission as a Porsche 968 replacement. It just took a lot longer, and a lot more people than I anticipated! Pics and dyno slip, to follow!

Agent☣Orange
10-19-2016, 12:21 AM
Sheesh, another Army story. Car's probably stolen or wrecked, probably both.

The Driver
10-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Sheesh, another Army story. Car's probably stolen or wrecked, probably both.

Slow down there, squid; visuals are coming...

The Driver
10-19-2016, 12:19 PM
16553 16554 16555

Wildwood Dynalite front brakes, those ARP studs from the blueprinted hub and that sexy NB1 intake...

Phatmiata
10-19-2016, 12:23 PM
Sheesh, another Army story. Car's probably stolen or wrecked or both.

:toomuch:

FWIW that is the motor from Pete's 99 Miata, he sold it to FurryCurry but he never installed it.
I was this [ ] close to buying but Austin beat me to it.

The Driver
10-19-2016, 12:25 PM
16556 16557 16558

FM shock tower brace, and FM master cylinder brace. Also, FM nickel plated rear rotor, no rust ever!

The Driver
10-19-2016, 12:33 PM
I'd like to thank the following companies for their valuable assistance:

1. Enthuza cars. Who would've known that a 16 year old exhaust, would still turn heads. It has been used in 2 NA Miatas, by yours truly.
2. East Coast Miata. Again, the least expensive short shifter in the market, and one that has delivered for 15+ years, also in 2 different NA's.
3. Med Center Mazda, for the coolant hoses.
4. Treasure Coast Miatas; for their blueprinted front hubs with ARP studs and the "premium" timing belt kit.
5. Flyin' Miata for their: sway bars, Awesome H7 head lamps, Front STB, Wildwood BBK, master cylinder brace, stainless brake lines, silicone vacuum lines, upgraded rear rotors and a vast number of odds and ends.
6. Goodwin Racing; For the Advanti S1 15X7 rims and the soft top rain rail.
7. Trackspeed Engineering . MS3
8. V8 Roadsters. Frame Rails.
9. Guides by Jake. Window guides
10.949 Racing. Clutch and master cylinder stainless lines, wheel caps
11. And last but not least, Shaikh @ Fat Cat Motorsports, for delivering the coilovers that I wanted!

And I like to thank the following individuals for without their assistance, none of this would have taken place!

1.Skip Cannon, good heavens, what would the Miata community be without you!
2.Tim Allen (Toolman) Without your awesome help, when I was flat broke, that 96 Montego Blue would have been discarded, long ago! When in FL or Georgia, there is no better Miata mechanic!
3.Carl Gibson (Rktect). You met a displaced Floridian, recently moved to Tulsa, and gave him a friendship, and all kinds of incredible assistance!
4.M1Miatamike. My goodness, boy did you helped out a Floridian stuck in New Orleans! And thanks to introducing me to "Bob"!
5.Jonathan Pressman (JRP). That NB soft top instal, came out awesome!
6.Andrew Lape. Well, it was fun hanging out at your dad's garage to do the clutch fluid and power steering fluid replacements, and thanks for been a pal, when we got pulled over in the middle of nowhere!
7.Nick Lyle. Again, the engine would have been trashed, without your help!
8. Rick Barnes (RLB454) For been an awesome friend, and for your fine taste in motorcycles!
9. And last but not least, "New Mexico dude". Without your help, this would not have happen.

The following individuals stepped up to the plate when selling used items:

1. Austin Curry III, you sold me a BP4W head, an intake and the fuel relay. When the head turned out to be bad, you stepped up to the plate, and made it right, TWO DAYS BEFORE YOUR WEDDING! Thanks dude, and a long prosperous marriage!!!

2. SJ Marcy, for selling a HIGH QUALITY BP5 intake cam.

3. Pete Peterson, for selling a good working BP4W head.

To the TampaBayMiatas club, PeaktoPeakMiata club, Mardi Gras Miata club and NEO (North East OKlahoma) Miata club; whom without their assistance, this car would not have been running all along!

The Driver
10-19-2016, 12:35 PM
:toomuch:

FWIW that is the motor from Pete's 99 Miata, he sold it to FurryCurry but he never installed it.
I was this [ ] close to buying but Austin beat me to it.
Well funny boy, only the intake and the fuel rail maid it to my car. So, there! Is that Pete, who was into HP go karts? That head was absolute TRASH!

What's a navy ship full off? Old semen...

The Driver
10-19-2016, 01:00 PM
16559 16560 16561

More shots, just because..

The Driver
10-19-2016, 01:53 PM
16566 16567 16568

The Montego, with the NB1 soft top, out of a 2001 BRG. Bought that top, 5 years ago, just got installed two weeks ago. It was collecting dust, since I got the hardtop, barely a month after buying the soft top. The soft top came out of a totaled BRG, in Brooksville, FL. The hardtop came out of Westmeinster, CO and the car originally came out of Indianapolis, IN!

Martin
10-19-2016, 02:14 PM
The NB top is a little lighter tan than the NA top, but I don't care. With the top up you can't see much of the interior so who's gonna notice? And I like the contrast between the light top and the dark paint.

The Driver
10-19-2016, 05:48 PM
The NB top is a little lighter tan than the NA top, but I don't care. With the top up you can't see much of the interior so who's gonna notice? And I like the contrast between the light top and the dark paint.

It's a canvas top, if there's any color difference, is virtually undetectable!

The Driver
10-19-2016, 07:02 PM
The reason for all the modifications was simple. I wanted a true replacement for my long gone 1993 Porsche 968. That 968, which was preceded by fairly similar 1988 944S, where the benchmark of all the vehicles I've owned, with one notable exception. Those P cars, where cash hog vehicles, that demanded a LOT OF MONEY to keep running properly. They were not unreliable, but they were addicted to scheduled maintenance, which was not inexpensive.

Now I have a car that for a lot less than money to keep those P cars running, has an exceedingly similar ride, braking and overall performance. Once I get the Racing Beat and "flat top" intake, I should be able to outperform those P cars!

The Driver
10-23-2016, 03:55 PM
Gosh, another weekend with less than 15% humidity, and another weekend where the car just SHINES. The engine is so buttery smooth, and so civil and tractable, that it's just a pleasure to drive. And I no longer loose to minivans on the traffic light drag race! Anyone with an NA8 should do this!

NCGreasemonkey
10-23-2016, 09:42 PM
I go after Prius. Especially since that one rolled into work an shuns its fuel saver tires for Drifts and Hankooks. But those Odyssey and Grand Caravaners can get a nose full of my full rich tail-pipe, too.

Hey. I have to grow old. I don't have to get old! :slayer:

Agent☣Orange
10-23-2016, 11:04 PM
What's a navy ship full off? Old semen...

Hey...it aint gay when you're underway!

The Driver
10-24-2016, 06:18 PM
I go after Prius. Especially since that one rolled into work an shuns its fuel saver tires for Drifts and Hankooks. But those Odyssey and Grand Caravaners can get a nose full of my full rich tail-pipe, too.

Hey. I have to grow old. I don't have to get old! :slayer:
Electric and hybrid cars may have almost unlimited torque...

Hey...it aint gay when you're underway!
As if the Army infantry didn't know...

The Driver
10-27-2016, 06:39 PM
A milestone has been achieved. Combined city and highway, I just got 29 miles to the gallon. COMBINED! The only time I ever got that, was coming and going from Grand Junction on I-70. This is AWESOME!

The Driver
11-21-2016, 09:10 PM
So it has been two weeks since the Flyin' Miata Stage 1 clutch and 10.3 flywheel "Happy Meal" have been installed. Gosh, it makes the car so much ore enjoyable to drive, it's not even funny!

Not only is the acceleration sharper and crisper in the lower gears, the engine is so much smoother at higher rpms (above 6K). It's a very valuable and enjoyable addition. Also, an NB starter was installed, as it is lighter and quieter than the NA starter.16669

Greasemonkey2000
11-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated! :drinkto: Details on installing(parts, wiring changes, etc) on installing a nb starter(any 01-05?) on a na, please.

The Driver
11-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated! :drinkto: Details on installing(parts, wiring changes, etc) on installing a nb starter(any 01-05?) on a na, please.

There's nothing to it. Do it when replacing the head or the transmission is been dropped. The NB starter bolts to two of the three bolts, so it's an easy swap.

Agent☣Orange
11-23-2016, 01:39 AM
Boss, your will is my command...

Pic: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?3687-What-did-you-get-for-your-NA

http://youtu.be/0ccKPSVQcFk

The Driver
11-23-2016, 08:37 PM
?

I'm far better looking than a Cylon. Like, Captain Apollo handsome, but more so...

Hammerhead
11-24-2016, 01:35 AM
?

I'm far better looking than a Cylon. Like, Captain Apollo handsome, but more so...

Where is the throw up emoji?

The Driver
11-24-2016, 10:01 PM
Where is the throw up emoji?

I'm to sexy for this thread, too sexy for this thread...

The Driver
03-13-2017, 08:31 PM
And the Megasquirt, is up and running!

The Driver
03-14-2017, 05:13 PM
Appointment to get the car tuned, was made for next Monday @ 9AM. I'll upload the dyno charts, once it's al done.

The Driver
04-28-2017, 05:31 PM
Trackspeed Engineering (Revenant) MS3,installed; VICS is finally hooked up; EGR and MAF removed; and CAI is installed.16965 16966

Greasemonkey2000
04-28-2017, 07:23 PM
So you finally got one of those, nice! I remember you expressing a great amount of interest when I had posted a link about them on that other forum. :ninja:

The Driver
04-28-2017, 08:16 PM
So you finally got one of those, nice! I remember you expressing a great amount of interest when I had posted a link about them on that other forum. :ninja:

Yes I did. And this CAI is the REAL DEAL! :slayer: