PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT review notes from AutoWeek

MRnewsBot
12-10-2012, 11:46 AM
2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT review notes

Never a dull moment in Mazda's MX-5 roadster

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8213/8260765587_057431d1d2_z.jpg

ASSOCIATE EDITOR JAKE LINGEMAN: There's always plenty of fun to be had behind the wheel of a Mazda MX-5 Miata, even when your commute home isn't very interesting. I had the top down and was cruising at about 5 mph—so much for the wind in my hair. Later at night I went back out for bit, and had a blast on Woodward in the cool air, revving the MX-5 to its 7,000-rpm redline.

The interior was comfortable for me, though I'm a bit of a smaller guy. The seats are bolstered well and I didn't find myself sliding around during high-g maneuvers. The radio was easy to operate as were the rest of the controls. The power top is quick to lower and is one of the few that doesn't look bad when it's up. It does add about 80 pounds to the curb weight, so keep that in mind.

The power is Miata strong at 167 hp. When you keep the revs up, the car feels pretty fast. Of course that's also a function of having the wind in your hair. The six-speed shifter and gearbox are up there with Acura's as one of my favorites. This one even feels better than our old long-term Mazdaspeed 3. I do miss that turbocharged engine, though.

Fuel mileage is impressive at more than 25 mpg combined, even with my foot placed firmly on the floor. As far as fun-per-dollar goes—well I'd still take a Ford Mustang at this price—but it's up there!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8360/8260765517_2dac5d46df_z.jpg

SENIOR ART DIRECTOR CHERYL L. BLAHNIK: I've always liked Miatas and the one we had looks particularly handsome with its pearl white paint and contrasting black hard top along with the black wheels. It also attracted a fair amount of attention from random people over the weekend, proving that Mazda's little roadster is still a standout even after being around for all these years.

Personally, I'm more of an old-school Miata person, preferring a soft-top instead of the power retractable hardtop, which not only adds weight to the equation but cost, too. At $32,000, it's not exactly affordable.

In the cabin, it's still tight like it's always been and you won't find a ton of cargo room out back. Sure, there's enough room for a weekend trip, but it remains true to its roots with the focus on being a driver's car. That means amenities like a spacious cabin and Costco-worthy hauling abilities come after providing a pure drive experience.

Thankfully, the MX-5 Miata is still fun and easy to fling around sideways when the feeling strikes you. What's my one wish for it? That would be for a little more power, of course.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8355/8261834846_c7f91a2b01_z.jpg

ROAD TEST EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: I truly believe getting into a Mazda MX-5 every now and then is good for a driver's soul. Even with this generation Miata getting up in years, it remains one of the purest cars out there. Sure, there are cupholders all over the place, but with a fairly light curb weight, sprightly handling, fluid six-speed manual and a responsive four-cylinder engine providing adequate power, it's a satisfying package.

Crank the steering in any direction and the car responds instantaneously with a light feel, but with loads of feedback available through your fingertips. The suspension is tuned for some initial lean that you feel, but once a particular side is loaded up, it stays planted to blitz through your favorite bends. And yes, there's enough power to kick the rear out if you desire.

The drivetrain pairing is good with the free revving four-cylinder that has stellar throttle response for easy rev-matching on downshifts, and power is consistent throughout the range. Clutch take-up is early for my tastes where I prefer it to happen closer to the middle of the pedal stroke, but shift action is slick and is just a joy to use.

Still not sure if I would opt for the power retractable hardtop with the weight trade-offs. But I can understand the need for the people who drive their MX-5s year round instead of it just being a second car for the summer. It provides better insulation during the winter and it does provide a quieter cabin.

As I said, this generation MX-5 has been around for a bit, which means a Mazdaspeed version may be coming soon. If they do what they did with the last Mazdaspeed MX-5, then we can expect a turbo for a slight power bump and a stiffened chassis. That sounds plenty good to me.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8493/8260765477_571a8cd75b_z.jpg

NEWS EDITOR GREG MIGLIORE: I did exactly what an enthusiast should do with a 2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata for a weekend: I drove with the top down as much as possible, cornered as quickly as conditions allowed, and revved the engine for speed, power and whimsy.

The MX-5 is a niche machine, as even the most energetic of drivers would eventually likely tire of the close quarters and tight dynamics in daily use. Until then, this roadster is a riot. The chassis is tight, sporty and well-sorted. It's rock-solid and connected. You'll feel even the slightest road imperfection, and car is easily jostled—though that's all to be expected. Indeed it's fair trade off for the sporting nature of the car. The steering is tight on-center, and maneuvers are direct, intuitive and nearly on-command.

The power is strong; it's better than I expected. For 167 ponies, the output is nicely tuned to the size of Miata. The weight is expertly distributed, and the car feels confident and controlled, even as it hovers close to the concrete.

I like the styling. It's cute, sporty and sleek. I love the headlights, which offer a piercing appearance without being overdone. Inside is simple, but not cheap. The materials are fine and everything is within easy reach.

I thoroughly enjoyed the MX-5's spotlight function—the roof. The hardtop looks great and operates seamlessly. For a nighttime drive along fairly open expressways, it was perfect.

The negatives? Some will want more power. The interior is non-offensive, but hardly gilded, and it is not a daily driver for most. Plus the sticker is a bit higher than one might expect, even in special edition packaging. Regardless, it was a fun weekend.

2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition PRHT

Base Price: $32,020

As-Tested Price: $32,020

Drivetrain: 2.0-liter I4; RWD, six-speed manual

Output: 167 hp @ 7,000 rpm, 140 lb-ft @ 5,000 rpm

Curb Weight: 2,593 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA City/Highway/Combined): 21/28/24 mpg

Observed Fuel Economy: 26.3 mpg

Options: None

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121207/carreviews/121209899#ixzz2EfS4DHix