PDA

View Full Version : Headlight adjustment & removal - 1999

Ronpc
12-18-2012, 10:33 AM
I understand to adjust the direction of the headlight beam down you turn the long screw on the back clock wise. Want to remove the light assemble. Beside the two screws at the top are there any other clips holding the assemble in? I really would not like to break anything

TIA

Ron

RotorNutFD3S
12-19-2012, 09:01 AM
The long screw on the back can be adjusted in either direction to move the beam up or down. You'll want to either loosen or completely remove the front bumper to remove the headlight properly, there are some clips on the underside of the headlight that help keep it in place, the bumper holds a couple of those clips in and there's another that attaches to the body of the car, it's a contoured pin that slides into a tension clip. That is an interesting one as it holds the headlight in place very well, once you get everything out of the way a strong, quick tug forward will pop the headlight loose.

Ronpc
12-19-2012, 12:16 PM
The long screw on the back can be adjusted in either direction to move the beam up or down. You'll want to either loosen or completely remove the front bumper to remove the headlight properly, there are some clips on the underside of the headlight that help keep it in place, the bumper holds a couple of those clips in and there's another that attaches to the body of the car, it's a contoured pin that slides into a tension clip. That is an interesting one as it holds the headlight in place very well, once you get everything out of the way a strong, quick tug forward will pop the headlight loose.

Thanks for the info. Sure glad I just didn't pull the headlight straight out.

RotorNutFD3S
12-19-2012, 01:38 PM
No problem! I learned the hard way following some directions from another Miata forum. What can you do sometimes.

psulja
12-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Yea, I didn't know the proper way to do it, broke a couple things and have a gap between my bumper and headlights that almost resembles bumper sag but it's just the headlights not fitting properly anymore. They're in there, just don't seem as secure. +1 for removing bumper and doing it the right way.