PDA

View Full Version : Miata Lowering Springs

kassm
12-23-2012, 05:52 PM
What is the best average priced spring on the market? I don't want the cheap slammage eBay crap, but I cannot afford nice coilovers either, just wanted something in between (average) to get my by until I can afford to do something nicer. Right now the stock fender gap is HUGE and drives me nuts, and it looks ugly hahahha.

Agent☣Orange
12-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Which Miata? At least put that info along with your location in your mini profile when asking for advice.

H&R is one of my favorites for inexpensive, censervative lowering springs that work great with stock shocks and a little firmer than stock springs.

kassm
12-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Hi its a first gen 1993 Miata, does any of the shops on here sell these type of springs or maybe something equal?

Agent☣Orange
12-23-2012, 06:40 PM
One of our forum sponsors, MiataRoadster.com carries quite an assortment of spring sets. You would also do well to assess the condition of your shocks since you'd have that all apart. You'll also need a good alignment after you change your suspension.

Phatmiata
12-23-2012, 08:39 PM
ditto check the sponsors link and see what they have to offer, if you have questions just ask!

http://mazdaroadster.net/content.php?118-Sponsors

I<3flippyheadlights
12-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Better question, what kind of shocks do you have? if you have stock shocks you will hate your life if you put on lowering springs. If you are on stock stuff, bite the bullet a little while longer. It will be worth it to purchase a shock/spring combo or a decent set of coilovers at one time.

Blueiii
12-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Welcome to the forum! It seems like you're fairly new (I see you have 10 posts) and your question leads me to believe that you're also relatively new to miatas, customizing / modding / "tuning" cars, or both.

YellowYata made a good suggestion previously, although I'm guessing that is also with the assumption your shocks are in decent shape. You mentioned that you don't want "cheap ebay garbage." If you've been lurking, you'll hopefully already realize that racelands are good for getting low but not for handling.

It might be a good idea to share a little more about what you would like to do with the car. For example, if you want to lower it to simply fill the wheel gap, then spring quality, ride quality, etc. really don't matter and you could (not what I would recommend, though) cut your springs.

I would prefer to give a sponsor link, but alas, I didn't dig through every sponsor to see what the comparable setup would be to Flyin Miata's most basic kit.
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=5635&parentid=0&stocknumber=13-16650%20%201990-97 That might be a bit rich for your blood since springs alone can be had for $250 - $300. Your situation might be different, but almost every used car I've ever looked at was on the original shocks.

Personally, I will be installing Koni Sport shocks in the Spring. They currently run $516 through another well known vendor that is not a sponsor here (I've contacted one or two of our sponsors to request a price match and they haven't been able to do it.) These shocks have 3 perches for making small ride height adjustments and might provide you the best of both worlds - a slightly lower stance AND maintenance at the same time. From everything I've been able to find and read, with just the shocks alone and your stock springs you can lower the car 0.75 - 1.00 inch. (I cannot confirm that myself, though.)

You may want to start a build thread and outline some of your goals for the car. Also, although I won't be a "use the search button" nag, reading through the build threads and online information can be helpful so you know exactly which questions to ask!

Thumper13
12-30-2012, 08:35 AM
If your goal is to get a little lower but not spend any money,you can always cut your springs. The OEM shocks are crap anyway,assuming you are on OEM
Showass, and all you will have invested is some time.

Johnnie
12-30-2012, 01:37 PM
If your goal is to get a little lower but not spend any money,you can always cut your springs. The OEM shocks are crap anyway,assuming you are on OEM
Showass, and all you will have invested is some time.
This is actually not bad advice if you don't care about anything but appearance. It's also a cheap way to get familiar with working on your car and how the suspension is put together.

DK Wolf
01-02-2013, 07:09 PM
twitch*

I am against cutting springs, by every means possible. It's a crap thing to do, and it's just tacky and cheap. Jesus, ricelands are better than cutting springs. If you can't scrounge up a couple hundred bucks for racelands, then get out of the car game.

Plus, EZ streets would be a solid coilover. It's not ultra high performance, but it's not shitty. Save your paper route money and embrace the suck of owning an ugly car then get nice coilovers. Too many people want now, now, now.

The Driver
01-02-2013, 07:36 PM
twitch*

I am against cutting springs, by every means possible. It's a crap thing to do, and it's just tacky and cheap. Geez, ricelands are better than cutting springs. If you can't scrounge up a couple hundred bucks for racelands, then get out of the car game.

Agreed.

3MiataFamily
01-04-2013, 12:06 AM
What is the best average priced spring on the market? I don't want the cheap slammage eBay crap, but I cannot afford nice coilovers either, just wanted something in between (average) to get my by until I can afford to do something nicer. Right now the stock fender gap is HUGE and drives me nuts, and it looks ugly hahahha.

There is a lot you are not saying here...best thing for you to do is RESEARCH...no matter what you end up with, you get what you pay for. That said..

If you are diligent..and patient..and are sitting on at least $4-500..look for a USED set of something good..like the Flying Miata setup..Illuminas with FM springs..very nice setup at a reasonable cost and they do pop up used every so often...Koni with H&R springs seems to be another popular setup for the NOT SLAMMED crowd..a slightly lowered stance without breaking the bank could be a Tokiko setup..springs and blue shocks (pretty much a standard replacement) but that is not very well regarded..KYB GR2 is another popular shock and those can take a slightly stiffer spring..jackson Racing or tokiko..and will lower a little bit..

Used Bilsteins from the NB models pop up all the time..with the NB tops and a decent set of springs, that could be the way to go..

and don't forget about the bumpstops...Fat Cat Motorsports has a great webpage that will guide you thru the process of selecting a bumpstop for your application.

Research is your friend...money in your paypal account is more like a lover...

be ready to pounce when something good pops up..the good stuff does not last. Example: Bilsteins with FM springs purchased last summer..complete with top hats and FCM bumps..325 on my doorstep. Early last year my son got revalved Bilsteins..Ground control sleeves (to adjust ride height)..Swift springs..mazda motorsports upper mounts..$700 on our doorstep.

Remember..it is not just springs..everything works together and a bad combo can end up having you not liking your Miata...

BoBo
05-03-2013, 03:52 AM
Most lowering springs for the miata doesn't have enough spring rate, many of my friends have bottomed out on tein, racingbeat, and swift. Right now the FM 2 springs are probably the best lowering springs for the miata. It has enough spring rate for the drop. I myself have experience racingbeat, and it's way too soft. I'm using stock springs right now and am very happy. I have brand-new Eibach as well but never had the chance to install it, so I can't really say anything about it.However, some people like it, but some don't.I had H&R before and it's pretty low that my old miata would scrape once in while. Hope that helps. If you have enough $ I would shoot for FM springs with Toks, it's the best deal for the performance.

atank
05-03-2013, 06:34 AM
If you just want to lower your car, I have a cheap, cheap set of LS's I will sell you, drop me a PM.

Kilo0101
05-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Are the racing beat springs good springs

Martin
05-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Are the racing beat springs good springs
General consensus is no. They are too soft relative to the amount of lowering.

Martin
05-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Most lowering springs for the miata doesn't have enough spring rate, many of my friends have bottomed out on tein, racingbeat, and swift. Right now the FM 2 springs are probably the best lowering springs for the miata. It has enough spring rate for the drop. I myself have experience racingbeat, and it's way too soft. I'm using stock springs right now and am very happy. I have brand-new Eibach as well but never had the chance to install it, so I can't really say anything about it.However, some people like it, but some don't.I had H&R before and it's pretty low that my old miata would scrape once in while. Hope that helps. If you have enough $ I would shoot for FM springs with Toks, it's the best deal for the performance.

From Flyin' Miata's website:

Potential supply problem for Tokicos
The US distributor for Tokico shocks has recently changed. We don't know who the new one will be yet and it's quite likely there will be an extended gap in the availability of these shocks. We've purchased all remaining stock from the warehouse to give you the best service possible, but if you're considering a suspension package that uses these shocks you should order soon to avoid disappointment.
Update: we are sold out of the NB and NC versions.

BoBo
05-24-2013, 09:47 PM
^ I made a previous post that the Racingbeat are too soft for the drop. It could work for DD, but if you hit some pothole be prepared for the tires to rub the fenders. There should be more people that will chime in on this Racingbeat spring. Check the reviews on the miata.net if your interest on other people's input. There's different types of lowering springs review that might help you on deciding what you want.

Agent☣Orange
05-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Reviews on miata.net are usually based on a five-minute drive to the Social Security office.

cbaylis77
05-24-2013, 11:36 PM
^lol, I lost... oh wait, that's a different thread.

Kilo0101
05-25-2013, 12:16 PM
I think I might go for the HR. any opinions on those

The Driver
05-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Reviews on miata.net are usually based on a five-minute drive to the Social Security office.

Nah dude, I don't agree with that at all. M.Net, maybe a pain, but their suspension subforum is second to none.

BoBo
05-30-2013, 01:32 AM
Koni yellow should be able to handle FM2 springs.However, Billies HD would be a good match for FM springs. You can Also re-valve it to accommodate any spring combo.