PDA

View Full Version : To Windblock or not to Windblock....

tsingson
01-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Hey guys, I searched but could not find any threads on an answer. But here goes.

How many of you are running no windblocker? I have seen the blogs and posts about what they are supposed to do but I haven't really seen any posts on who actually runs one or not and their opinion. I took mine off for the winter because the soft top will be up. In the Spring, Summer, and Fall, I will be using a bikini top most of the time so I just wanted to know most people's opinion on it.

Any information or comments are welcomed!

Speed rock
01-12-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm not using any sort of wind blocker..doesn't bother me that much.

Demon I Am
01-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Don't be a grandad, man.

tsingson
01-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Whatever Tony. So I am assuming you are running no windblocker? Shoot, that's right. You run a hardtop. I forgot. You know I have a mesh bikini top still for sale right? :winky:

You feeling better now?

Demon I Am
01-12-2013, 09:36 AM
yeah, Im good, now. When I'm able to go topless, which is depressingly rare (no soft top), I don't run a wind blocker. The airflow feels too good and it's just another thing to cart around.

tsingson
01-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Ok. Since the weather is supposed to be good this weekend, I think I will drop the top and put the bikini on again and see if I like it.

Andy
01-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I have never run with a wind blocker. I prefer the feel of an open roadster.

Phatmiata
01-12-2013, 10:36 AM
I been driven with one in a friends car, it does make a difference, but most all of my Miatas have had rollbars so I never used one.

tsingson
01-12-2013, 10:39 AM
I can still use mine with my roll bar but I just didn't know if I should put it back in or not. I guess the only way to really know for sure is to just drive it without and see how I feel.

Agent☣Orange
01-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Take it on the highway if you want to really hear and feel the difference. On a Miata, it really works but does block the one-arm soft top action if you're type who likes to raise or lower on the go. That doesn't matter if you have a roll bar but if you it, might as well install it.

SM16RMSM
01-12-2013, 10:59 AM
I have one of the factory Bose wind blocker for the MSM and i don't notice a difference between it being flipped up or down. It will be up for sale soon though.

RoadsterTech
01-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Take it on the highway if you want to really hear and feel the difference. On a Miata, it really works but does block the one-arm soft top action if you're type who likes to raise or lower on the go. That doesn't matter if you have a roll bar but if you it, might as well install it.

Mine works great, and I can still one arm the top
But of course it's both adjustable and folds down.

tsingson
01-12-2013, 11:52 AM
I've seen your write up on it Rick. I like yours and was actually going to do one very similar but with a couple of changes, then I just got lazy.

Risingsun124
01-12-2013, 03:45 PM
I have found using a windblocker with a G-String to be beneficial on cold nights. With a windblocker, windows up, and heater on, the warm air seems to stay in better.

tsingson
01-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks Risingsun! That is what I love having the top down for, Chilly Nights. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

Hammerhead
08-21-2013, 02:10 PM
I've run the Oris Windstop blocker for a couple of years, and frankly, I love it - for a few reasons: [1] I smoke cigars in my Miata and the reduced wind vortex/turbulence helps keep the ash from flying around or blowing the ash off the end of my cigar, [2] With the top down and windows up, the a/c or heater works better (not great, but better) than without it, [3] With the top up or hard top on, the Oris works as a nice sun shade or glare filter from the headlights in cars behind you.