PDA

View Full Version : OEM Radiator Replacement

morr
02-16-2013, 09:29 PM
***DISCLAIMER*** I thought I'd make a thread just as a heads up if anyone plans to replace their radiator with an OEM one from some generic auto parts supplier. This is not to claim that all OEM replacements are bad. I'd just strongly suggest researching the vendor and/or making sure they have a good warranty with their products. This is a rather lengthy post, but it's strictly for documenting the type of driving that was done prior to and after noticing the radiator was becoming defective.

I purchased my NB completely stock (aside from a Monsterflow CAI) with 47,000 miles on it in March of 2008. It still had the original radiator which was a weird shade of brown. Thru some research online, I learned that meant it might be on its last leg. So on September 15th, 2009 I purchased an OEM replacement radiator from www.GenesisAutoParts.com shipped to my door for a grand total of $108.85. I was thrilled with the price and figured I'd just found a good deal. Fast forward about two years and I noticed my temperature gauge settling between the middle/max range on long drives. I figured it was normal since I'd been driving for so long at a certain speed. I would stop and check the coolant level from time to time while hot and even after the car sat overnight. I noticed that it was slowly dropping.

On September 19th, 2011, I drove from Pittsburgh, PA to Beaufort, SC with no overheating issues of any kind. The coolant level would still slowly drop, but that was it. I also had no issues driving back from SC to PA on February 4th, 2012. Granted, it was during winter.

Fast forward to July 27th, 2012 for MATG. On the drive from Pittsburgh, PA to Robinsville, NC we had to pull over about 3 times, because my car was just not having it. Even with the heat blasting on '4' and going a steady 70mph it couldn't take it. Oddly enough, out of the many runs on The Dragon (with the heat on '4') it only started to overheat a handful of times. I enjoyed the weekend of spirited driving up until the drive home. What would normally be about a 9 hour drive took roughly 12. I couldn't go over 45mph without the car overheating even with the heat blasting.

So, fast forward again a few more months and I noticed coolant along the top of the radiator. This continued until it got to the point where I'd have to refill the coolant every week. And that's where I am today. Here's a picture of the radiator this morning a few minutes after starting the car.

http://distilleryimage4.s3.amazonaws.com/08edd648784311e2bec722000a1f8c33_7.jpg

Again, this thread isn't meant to say that all OEM replacement radiators are bad. But I would just suggest that you check the general feedback about each vendor you are checking out and/or make sure to buy one with a very good warranty.

I am going to be contacting Genesis Auto Parts about the issue shortly, but based on their warranty information regarding corrosion I could see them arguing with me based on the weather conditions of my area. Who knows though... hopefully I'll update this with more positive feedback.