PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Okuyama Transmission Brace

Hyper
02-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Rspeed used to sell this item a long time ago. I think Rev9 too. I searched some of the vendors in this site and can't seem to find this item. Please, can you help me locate this item? thanks a bunch.

Eli

Hyper
02-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Also look at this link. Moss used to sell a similar item. link below
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=338420

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/864/1141/2158070205_large.jpg

Hyper
02-19-2013, 04:16 PM
oops I forgot it is for the NB but carbing makes this part for the NA. what's the difference?

jux
02-20-2013, 06:57 PM
If I'm seeing that picture correctly, then one difference is that the Carbing brace is one piece. Also, from what Max told me, Carbing no longer offers that brace. :(

kung fu jesus
02-23-2013, 08:06 AM
R*speed can probably get you one.

this transmits a lot of NVH through the car, think solid engine mounts.

A lot of times people think this will solve a shifter issue when really it is worn engine or diff mounts.

Hyper
02-25-2013, 01:00 PM
my car doesn't have PPF, to me it is a big deal to get the brace because the tranny mount I have is located at the tailshaft.

Phatmiata
02-25-2013, 01:22 PM
I see the Carbing Brace on YJP auctions new-in-box, get with TetsuyaGarage.com MiataRoadster.com or Rev9Autosport.com

Hyper
02-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks Randy I will contact TetsuyaGarage.com ASAP

kung fu jesus
02-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Curios, how did you locate the differential without the PPF? Is this a V8 conversion?

Hyper
02-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Yes I have to create a build thread to show pics of the set up. The tranny mounts using the Boss Frog kit which is stupid, the Boss Frog kit mounts the tranny at the tailshaft. Now that the car doesn't have the PPF I am looking for ways to brace the tranny, by connecting the two bolts previously used to connect the PPF into the Boss Frog kit and or find the Carbing Brace kit to mate the tranny and engine together with the chassis. I was going to upgrade the 6speed to something stronger but for now, I want to keep the 6speed. It is more cost effective in my view plus I can use my car as a daily driver.

Martin
02-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Please keep in mind that only V8 experience is with classic Chevrolets... but, what's wrong with mounting the trans at the tailshaft? We only avoided that when using original-style front motor mounts on tri-fives. The cars with side motor mounts had no problems with tailshaft mounted trannies.

Hyper
02-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Please keep in mind that only V8 experience is with classic Chevrolets... but, what's wrong with mounting the trans at the tailshaft? We only avoided that when using original-style front motor mounts on tri-fives. The cars with side motor mounts had no problems with tailshaft mounted trannies.

First, this is a Miata with a live axle set up so I cannot debate on your V8 diff conversion with IRS set up. The design, mounting the tranny at the tailshaft for my set up is flaw in my view. The bolts at the tailshaft are two 14mm about less than one 1nch long. A bad motor mounts or enough flexing will probably brake the tranny and I am not spending 800 dollars for a 6speed. My goal is to protect the tranny by reinforcing it. The car doesnt have a PPF anyways so using the Moss brace or Carbing brace is like adding insurance to my set up.

kung fu jesus
02-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Totally understand. Have you also considered a BMW style tranny support/mount? I have not looked at a the bottom of a V8 transplant, so I don't know how different the bellhousing are. I would think that tranny brace above would be pretty easy to fab with some basic measurements, tube stock and plate stock.

Hyper
03-05-2013, 08:54 PM
The Carbing brace was discontinued. I am gonna have to fabricate one of my own