PDA

View Full Version : LSx Swaps FAQ/info

XCLR8TN
01-04-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm not sure how to go about this the best way so if anyone has any suggestions/changes let me know.

There are 3 main kits that I know of, and only 2 that are still available.

-Racing Concepts (defunct)
-V8Roadsters
-Boss Frog

I'll try and add info for the V8R kit first since I have first hand experience with that one.

V8R

Mounting: There are two options for this kit, standard mounting or forward mounting. The forward mounting only requires you to cut the wings attached to the firewall, the standard requires firewall and tranny tunnel modifications as it sets the motor 2" back for better weight distribution.

Driveline:

To be continued...

Graeter
01-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Looking forward to this! Thanks Jess. It be good to have a location with a bunch of information compiled for comparisons sake.

DK Wolf
06-16-2012, 07:26 PM
My only serious inquiries are these.

For the headers/exhaust. Will the LS3 headers provided by FM fit an LS1? Or L33? I understand the blocks are the same, but I'm not sure. What exhaust are you using? What is the average going price to have an exhaust made from the end of the headers to the cat back?

How will you be accomplishing the wiring? And what is the difficulty rating on that?

Will coilovers fit with the beefed up drive axles?

I'll have more later

modernbeat
06-16-2012, 08:51 PM
We're building another kit that keeps the engine set back but doesn't require cutting up the trans tunnel and has long-ish tube headers. Just getting started, but it looks promising.

We've got some experience doing these for BMWs and the Miata looks a lot easier than the E30.

XCLR8TN
06-17-2012, 07:43 PM
My only serious inquiries are these.

For the headers/exhaust. Will the LS3 headers provided by FM fit an LS1? Or L33? I understand the blocks are the same, but I'm not sure. What exhaust are you using? What is the average going price to have an exhaust made from the end of the headers to the cat back?

How will you be accomplishing the wiring? And what is the difficulty rating on that?

Will coilovers fit with the beefed up drive axles?

I'll have more laterI have no experience with anything other than LS1/6 so I can't answer the LS3 question, sorry. I'm using the Flyin Miata stainless headers since I was not impressed with Sanderson's customer service. I had them ceramic coated also. I haven't figured out what I'm going to run from there back yet but I'm leaning towards the 2.5" coming off the headers to a 2.5" to 3" Y pipe to the back to a big quiet muffler. With cutouts somewhere in there to make it loud when I want. I'm not really sure yet. Enthuzacar was making exhaust systems for around a grand I think.

Which part of the wiring? I sent my engine harness to Speartech and had them add a fuse box and OBDII port (neither of which I got with the OEM harness with my motor) as well as deleting the unnecessary parts. The chassis wiring for lights I'm still up in the air about. I may buy a generic painless harness and use that.

Supposedly, yes. I fit OEM shocks to mine for now and had to grab the boot and move it along the shaft to clear (per a phone conversation with FM).

We're building another kit that keeps the engine set back but doesn't require cutting up the trans tunnel and has long-ish tube headers. Just getting started, but it looks promising.

We've got some experience doing these for BMWs and the Miata looks a lot easier than the E30.Who is "we"?

flamehead08
06-19-2012, 05:50 PM
So are there many people with an na that has a/c with a v8 swap. Only one I've seen was just the one from gearz and that's a 5.0

modernbeat
06-19-2012, 10:58 PM
We is Vorshlag.

John J
06-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Mine has A/C with the LS2 swap I performed and several other LSx or Ford smal blocks thay I know of are also running A/C.

Phatmiata
06-21-2012, 05:58 PM
I gotta have A/C in Florida! Not only because its super hot, but in the humid summers where your windows instantly fog up after a quick rain shower.

modernbeat
08-28-2012, 08:14 AM
And, we've started.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142

Phatmiata
08-28-2012, 09:31 AM

There are 3 main kits that I know of, and only 2 that are still available.

-Racing Concepts (defunct)
-V8Roadsters
-Boss Frog

I'll try and add info for the V8R kit first since I have first hand experience with that one.

Monster Motorsports in Cali is designing a kit for the LS swap as well for the CA guys.

maharaj
09-01-2012, 08:23 AM
I've got AC in mine....as Phat said, in Florida you've GOTTA have it. No mine isn't a DD so it isn't all that crucial, but it is an added 'luxury.'