PDA

View Full Version : NB aftermarket amp location?

kung fu jesus
03-31-2013, 11:10 AM
I am installing an amp in my NB. I am thinking of mounting it behind the passenger seat, on the rear bulkhead.

I am think of a couple of ways to do this:

1 - use a substrate (wood or plastic) and mount the amp to that, so the carpet on the rear bulkhead is sandwiched between the amp and the substrate. I think I can counted sink machine screws from the back side of the substrate, then use nuts to attach the amp. I will glue the substrate to the metal of the bulkhead. Alternatively, I could use velcro (heavy duty) to attach the substrate to the bulkhead.

2 - drill pilot holes into the rear bulkhead and use self-tapping sheet metal screws to attach the amp to the bulkhead. Maybe I can hit the areas where the screws come though with undercoating?

I don't want to mount the amp in the tunnels, I plan to install a rollbar and don't think the amp will fit in there anyways. Under the seat is another option, but I worry about moisture and heat.

I don't think I want to mount it in the trunk for moisture reasons and the space it may eat up.

Anyone else mount an amp in the location I am thinking of? How did you mount yours?

SM16RMSM
03-31-2013, 11:52 AM
I always considered mounting an amp either in the trunk or behind the passenger seat. I leaning toward behind the seat but I have to see what kind of room there is in that general area. I don't want to drill a hole and put a hole in the gas tank.

Agent☣Orange
03-31-2013, 12:22 PM
An amp behind the passenger seat is a good choice. It's close to the battery for cable run and accessible for fine tuning. Just be careful not to mount too thick of a board as it may push the amp into the seat and you really want a little gap for cooling.

kung fu jesus
03-31-2013, 12:40 PM
My thoughts exactly. The power and speaker outs will point towards the bottom, run through a small slit in the carpet near the amp. Likewise for the top where the RCA plugs will come in. I think if I mount it about 2-3 inches from the floor, the seat might not even touch it. I have to double check. I mounted the amp in my NA there, but it wasn't executed as clean as I hoped. I sort of rushed it.

Mounting the amp there makes wiring it simpler because of the proximity to the battery and the center console for running wires forward. I used small small slits in the carpet under the console of my NA to organize and ziptie the wires to it. I am thinking of mounting a small USB hub in the NB storage of the center console from the back of the HU so different phone chargers and such can be plugged in there.

Agent☣Orange
03-31-2013, 02:38 PM
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y462/staffpicks/Animated_GIFs/dwayne-the-rock-johnson.gif

Agent☣Orange
03-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Found an old amp install picture not that it's needed here but thought I'd post it anyway.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/YellowYata/Stereo%20and%20sound%20damper%20and%20heat%20insul ation/Ampspassvieweml.jpg

kung fu jesus
03-31-2013, 03:29 PM
:lol: God, I hope we meet for beers one day. We should be on the same bowling team.

How did you mount those? with a substrate or directly to the hull? I have that same Alpine amp for the Mule (DD RSX), but it won't fit under the seat. :( I'll probably put it in the e30 and get an Xplod slimline for it.

The amp I bought for the NC is this one (http://www.polkaudio.com/products/pa330_2) Looks smaller than both of those.

Agent☣Orange
03-31-2013, 05:00 PM
Haha, that would be great! I mounted right to the hull and there's two layers of Fatmat you don't see. The passenger side is a fantastic Alpine PDX F6 (150W RMS X4) about three inches off the floor for easy cable running and keep it dry if I ever had a rain rail problem that flooded the floor. I didn't have to cut any slits in the carpet for this particular install.

I chose my amp because I had four speakers but if I were to do just two, I'd go with the amp you chose. Your Polk is super, super nice! Tiny, powerful and elegant.

kung fu jesus
03-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Did you just cover the amps with the carpet then? If so, any concerns about heat build up for the amps?

Agent☣Orange
03-31-2013, 06:48 PM
No carpet, just left them as is and put the seats back in. The passenger seat has a built in stop for some reason and I just adjusted the seatbacks so they didn't touch the amps. They stayed pretty cool, especially the F6 which is all digital.

kung fu jesus
04-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Thanks!

I took the stop out of the passenger side. It's just a little metal tab. I can't remember if I did the same on the driver's side. If I didn't, I will.

curvingedge
06-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Found an old amp install picture not that it's needed here but thought I'd post it anyway.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/YellowYata/Stereo%20and%20sound%20damper%20and%20heat%20insul ation/Ampspassvieweml.jpg

Where in the world did you get the rear parcel shelf? I need this. Looks like it fits 8 inch speakers/subs!?

Agent☣Orange
06-06-2013, 11:32 PM
That is a Clearwater parcel shelf, originally designed to house 6" woofers.