PDA

View Full Version : My new build

Thumper13
04-03-2013, 05:12 PM
The week after Miatapalooza my car goes up to BSI for the engine build. The build is to SCCA STL rules,BSI will get the car back in late September to build the cage.

Wiseco 84mm 11:1 pistons ( .040 over )
Higher Lift Cams
Megasquirt PNP ( or equal )

Should dyno out when finished at 165hp to the wheels.

The car already has Xida CS and FM front bar,all that will be left beside safety equipment will be deciding what rear end ratio to run.

Andy
04-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Damn. That sounds like a scary build. Have fun with it.

Thumper13
04-14-2013, 10:27 AM
The car goes to BSI tomorrow,Stu should take 3 weeks to get her back to me. 165 n/a whp...I can't wait !

Hyper
04-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Yes!!!

Hyper
06-26-2013, 04:08 PM
update!

Thumper13
06-26-2013, 08:07 PM
In the next week or so. We are in the break in mode to make sure the forged pistons and rings seat in properly. Running 11:1 comp so I am babying her for 500 miles with just a few quick trips to rev limit. We are also running the OEM ECU until next week when the Megaquirt goes in and the "gloves come off "

Stay tuned

Thumper13
07-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Update,she goes back to BSI for the Megasquirt and full tune on Monday. I did have her out the other day and she does fly. She got really light in the front end,the lousy aero on our cars,my suspension felt like if was at full droop,looked at the tach just light of 7000 rpms and my GPS showed 130 mph. Not for the faint of heart with no aero aids to help.

Hyper
07-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Update,she goes back to BSI for the Megasquirt and full tune on Monday. I did have her out the other day and she does fly. She got really light in the front end,the lousy aero on our cars,my suspension felt like if was at full droop,looked at the tach just light of 7000 rpms and my GPS showed 130 mph. Not for the faint of heart with no aero aids to help.

ain't no pics of the build??

Thumper13
07-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Nah,the only pic that will be posted is the Dyno based on 93 pump gas. The E 85 dyno will not be posted. I may drive her down South one more time before she becomes a dedicated track rat. I'll let you know. Comes September you can see her at Sebring or Daytona,that's assuming my current job doesn't fall apart

I may post a pic with my Race Team windshield header

Hyper
07-16-2013, 09:08 PM

driving a fast car is like adrenaline pumping through your veins, you feel hyper and you scream like a madboy while strangers look at you in the caravan at the stop light. The you look back, you smile, you fix your hat and take off to never ever be seen again. The car is loud, engine screaming begging for more revs except when you get to the next stop light the strangers in the caravan approach you once again. This time the kids in the van are hyper too, Mom is freaking out trying to control them and dad,, dad is really pissed off, he looks at you with envy and sorrow, he wishes and dreams a day and time to build and own and have the freedom to drive a car just like your ride!

Thumper13
07-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Too many problems with that. Note one of my sponsors, he's saved me a ton of money and points. Now the little car is destined to become a track toy/race car. The wife would rather see me on the racetrack than in jail,or worse so she gave me a big bag of $$$$ and the go ahead to "get that menace to society off the street and on the track". Now you know where Asylum Racing and Motorsports comes from ( she still thinks I should be committed )

Agent☣Orange
07-17-2013, 08:28 PM
She's not the only one.

Hyper
07-18-2013, 12:08 AM
Too many problems with that. Note one of my sponsors, he's saved me a ton of money and points. Now the little car is destined to become a track toy/race car. The wife would rather see me on the racetrack than in jail,or worse so she gave me a big bag of $$$$ and the go ahead to "get that menace to society off the street and on the track". Now you know where Asylum Racing and Motorsports comes from ( she still thinks I should be committed )

ja ja ja ja ja!! All marriages are a contract agreement. I, the husband in exchange for "A" shall get the following. I, the wife in exchange for "B" shall get the following. ....You bargain with the wife for a happy marriage trouble free until god knows when. . With that said, if I get married again I want the garage completely to me, sex and food, that's it. Wife keeps the rest of the house, the kids and the Caravan.

Congratulations on your build my friend. Please update the thread and post pics of the menace when you can.

Thumper13
07-18-2013, 06:08 PM
She's not the only one.

Yup, move over one more looney tune coming to join you !

Hyper
10-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Project update... where is Thumper?? I bet he is driving all over Florida, the car is full of stickers with a rollbar and very happy young man at heart!!! where is Thumper?????

SM16RMSM
10-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Never knew you had a build thread. You should consult with Agent Orange to give this thread a proper name, including your race car. :mrgreen:

Hyper, I believe he in the process of getting the cage built at the moment. Also, I did get to run with him in the MSM. His motor sounds like a beast with the XR. Besides everyone complaining about his loud exhaust, it was quiet to me. Sounds like my Spec Miata in all reality.

Hyper
10-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Hyper, I believe he in the process of getting the cage built at the moment. Also, I did get to run with him in the MSM. His motor sounds like a beast with the XR. Besides everyone complaining about his loud exhaust, it was quiet to me. Sounds like my Spec Miata in all reality.

We made arraignments to meet but I was in the middle of a surgery at the time. I'll catch wiht Fred later this year, right now is practically impossible for me.

Thumper13
10-26-2013, 08:19 AM
OK,it's time to get to the dyno. Raised the rev limiter to 8000 rpms ( race rev limit will be 9K ). Once I get back to the dyno I can get a graph posted. I did play tag with a stock gen 2 S 2000. I actually kicked his butt until 131 mph ( according to Mr Garmin ) then fear took hold of me,no aero and 130mph+ are not a good mix for a Miata. She was pulling strong right up till I surrendered. At that point the S 2000 just walked away from me. My front end had so much lift I could have steered my non p/s car with one finger

Being a former S 2000 pilot I know that car is a dream right up to red line which is right around 153 mph.

Hyper my Cuban Vampire friend,I'm waiting to get my knee replacement scheduled but I might be at Palm Beach early November for a race. Maybe we can catch up then. Getting oldER really is taking it's toll but I don't really care as long as I can make money for the family. Besides what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger and MAYBE even a little smarter, in the words of ill Cosby...............yeah riiiiight !

Hyper
10-26-2013, 09:16 AM
OK,it's time to get to the dyno. Raised the rev limiter to 8000 rpms ( race rev limit will be 9K ). Once I get back to the dyno I can get a graph posted. I did play tag with a stock gen 2 S 2000. I actually kicked his butt until 131 mph ( according to Mr Garmin ) then fear took hold of me,no aero and 130mph+ are not a good mix for a Miata. She was pulling strong right up till I surrendered. At that point the S 2000 just walked away from me. My front end had so much lift I could have steered my non p/s car with one finger

Being a former S 2000 pilot I know that car is a dream right up to red line which is right around 153 mph.

Hyper my Cuban Vampire friend,I'm waiting to get my knee replacement scheduled but I might be at Palm Beach early November for a race. Maybe we can catch up then. Getting oldER really is taking it's toll but I don't really care as long as I can make money for the family. Besides what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger and MAYBE even a little smarter, in the words of ill Cosby...............yeah riiiiight !

three months after surgery I feel great!! please don't race the car at top speed unless you have the Aero modifications and roll bar to protect your head. Miatas don't do well at 130-145 mph. From my own experience they feel like they are going to flip~

SM16RMSM
10-26-2013, 11:41 AM
My spec handles pretty well above 130. With a little bit of drafting, you'll be at 7200 in 5th in no time.

Thumper13
10-26-2013, 05:18 PM
The neat thing is the sound between the XR and the motor itself. She really hits full song from 7200 rpms right up to 8000 rpms. It's not like anything I expected and when she hit 8k she was still pulling hard. Just running up through the gears I hardly put any pressure on the clutch pedal at 8k and the tranny shifts so fast and so smooth.

I can't wait to get the safety equipment installed ( mo $$$$$ ) then raise the cut off to 8900 and run some E 98. I will do that once then switch back to 98 race gas ( no ethanol ) and of course re-tune. I'm now considering going to a 64mm skunk2 ...............more air=more power

BlitzWing
10-26-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm be interested to hear what you think of the Skunk2 TB their does not seem to be much info out their on it but it seems like such a logical thing to do.

Hyper
10-26-2013, 05:39 PM
after that I am going to design a fuel return set up to Thumper s car, and a VTA catch can set up, I also plan to inspect the EGR and fuel evaporator system due some porting for to match the Skunk TB to extract more power from the beast. stay tuned folks!

Thumper13
10-26-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm be interested to hear what you think of the Skunk2 TB their does not seem to be much info out their on it but it seems like such a logical thing to do.

Emilio runs the skunk on his cars. His main goal was the ability to withstand much more vibration than the rod on the OEM throttle body. I figure with my 11;1 pistons I can take advantage of the added air. I'd look at a square top but it's not legal in SCCA ST-L

Thumper13
10-26-2013, 06:04 PM
after that I am going to design a fuel return set up to Thumper s car, and a VTA catch can set up, I also plan to inspect the EGR and fuel evaporator system due some porting for to match the Skunk TB to extract more power from the beast. stay tuned folks!

There is no egr on my car and either this weekend or next the evaporator system is coming out.

Hyper
10-26-2013, 08:20 PM
There is no egr on my car and either this weekend or next the evaporator system is coming out.

do you run a phenolic IM gasket and recirculated or vent to atmosphere catch can? there are small gains to be had by keeping intake manifold temperatures cooler. Also I welcome you to read my build thread to see what I did to my intake manifold.

Thumper13
10-26-2013, 11:39 PM
do you run a phenolic IM gasket and recirculated or vent to atmosphere catch can? there are small gains to be had by keeping intake manifold temperatures cooler. Also I welcome you to read my build thread to see what I did to my intake manifold.

The tree huggers will kill me ....but....vent to atmosphere. I am rerouting my c.a.i. from the hot side to the cold side and I have a track dog header blanket to install. I'm guessing ( based on other cars including Miatas ) that I'll see a drop of about 15* i.a.t. with the blanket and moving the intake to the cold side.

I really have to make aero right up with the cage on priority though.

I'll try and find someone with a Go Pro and a mic we can position below the door line ( eliminates wind noise ) . I had only heard Spec Miatas with uncorked exhaust systems before mine. With the higher revs ( above 7200 ) and the XR she almost growls as opposed to sounding like a swarm of hornets.

Agent☣Orange
10-27-2013, 12:48 AM
The tree huggers will kill me ....but....vent to atmosphere.

Big fan of that too. Get that crankcase pressure completely out.

BlitzWing
10-27-2013, 03:54 AM
from what I hear its also a good idea to widen the bore on the intake to make use of the increased area but I'm not sure if that would break any kind of competition rule.

Hyper
10-27-2013, 09:37 AM
from what I hear its also a good idea to widen the bore on the intake to make use of the increased area but I'm not sure if that would break any kind of competition rule.

nobody cares except Fred posts what he did to the car and some other fool out there will nag/complain like a pig to win his race.

Where are the pics of this build??

Thumper13
10-27-2013, 05:53 PM

have to check the class rules again but I don't think there is anything to gain, the gain is in the wider throat of the throttle body.

Thumper13
10-27-2013, 06:01 PM
nobody cares except Fred posts what he did to the car and some other fool out there will nag/complain like a pig to win his race.

Where are the pics of this build??

I am only going to post one pic of the build,the one that matters...................THE last dyno graph. That picture will be worth more than 1,000 words and way more than the 7 grand + I have invested in the motor and ecu. As far as winning ( except for the Nationals,assuming I get there ) I don't give a crap about little plastic trophies. I'll have more fun with the race within the race.....pairing up with a group of cars driven by my friends and just racing them. I'll do whatever I have to to accumulate enough points to get to the Regionals and Nationals but it aint like there's any money to be won. Just bragging rights with my buds. Two of my friends are in the Nationals.

BlitzWing
10-28-2013, 11:08 AM
have to check the class rules again but I don't think there is anything to gain, the gain is in the wider throat of the throttle body.

but whats the size of the hole behind the TB? if its smaller to match the original TB's throat then I'd think it would negate most of the gains until you boar it out to match the new one.

Thumper13
10-28-2013, 11:56 AM
but whats the size of the hole behind the TB? if its smaller to match the original TB's throat then I'd think it would negate most of the gains until you boar it out to match the new one.

Not sure,but it's larger than the oem throttle body ( yo believo )

Phatmiata
10-28-2013, 12:37 PM
ain't no pics of the build??

^^ what Eli said..............

just email me the pics I will host them for you slacker

BlitzWing
10-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Not sure,but it's larger than the oem throttle body ( yo believo )

ah did not know that.

Thumper13
10-28-2013, 02:12 PM
^^ what Eli said..............

just email me the pics I will host them for you slacker

If I did send you pictures no one would believe it's my car. IT'S CLEAN UNDER THE HOOD FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I BOUGHT THE CAR. As I have given them props so far BSI did the build. Nobody thought about pictures, anyway I'm from the show me state so I'll post up the dyno soon enough. I just wish I was working so I could get the rest of the goodies like the cage fire system top and and and and ...........only need about 5k more to finish her up.

Hyper
10-29-2013, 02:30 PM
damn i need another 5k too!!