PDA

View Full Version : anyone with Magnecor KV85 Competition 8.5mm Ignition cables?

scsi
04-08-2013, 03:53 AM
i picked up a set of Magnecor KV85 Competition 8.5mm Ignition cables from 949 because racecar, but my tuner friend told me i should just stick with my stock NGKs because they're far more reliable. just wondering if anyone has experience w/ these cables and how they're holding up?

kung fu jesus
04-08-2013, 08:05 AM
I have run a few sets of these over the years. I had them last on my NA. I tend to agree with your friend. Unless you are running a configuration where less resistance is needed or a higher voltage setup, the NGK blue wires are hard to beat for price and longevity.

scsi
04-08-2013, 01:47 PM
thanks for the tip! what sort of configuration would require less resistance or higher voltage? i don't think i have either... maybe i'll sell the wires and put the money toward something else..

kung fu jesus
04-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Forced induction/high compression n/a.

revlimiter
04-08-2013, 09:10 PM
I had a set of these same wires. They only lasted a year before I started getting tons of misfire. I swapped them out with the old set of NGK blues they replaced and never had a problem. They went in the trash and I ordered fresh NGKs.

This was like 5 years ago. Maybe quality has improved?

bigx5murf
04-08-2013, 09:58 PM
I have the cobalt blue wire from moss, bought them only because they were ridiculously cheap on sale, like $20 shipped or something.

Installed them thinking it's just bling, but engine revs definitely got a lot smoother. I'm sure it's not a placebo, but I am FI, and have experienced spark blowout before.

kung fu jesus
04-09-2013, 06:58 AM
I have experienced what Rev has too. The last set I bought was on sale.

MX5RACER
04-15-2013, 11:45 AM
If you ever get a chance to look inside a set of Magnecores you will never run them again. I had a set of them on my CS '99 Sport years ago, I started getting some missing. I started by pulling the spark wires and one of them (Number 2 wire) had come apart at the spark plug. The inside of the insulator is hallow, with a very fine, think two strands of hair, wire coiled inside. The only thing conducting is this very fine coiled wire, the NGK blue's have a much larger gauge wire as well as better insulation. The down-side to the NGK's is that they do not last more than 20,000 miles when used in extreme conditions (i.e. hot climates, racetracks etc.).

kung fu jesus
04-15-2013, 12:12 PM
You can buy 2 sets of the NGKs for the price of one Magnecor set. The only 'better' setup was when I made a COP setup and ran it with the MS PnP. I would kill to run that on my NB (COPs).

djsqiigles
06-01-2013, 01:04 AM
I run the MSD wires, they are all around badass, never had a problem. My old NA had them too, so ive experienced about 6 total years of MSD wire ussage lol

MX5RACER
09-05-2013, 08:03 AM
You can buy 2 sets of the NGKs for the price of one Magnecor set. The only 'better' setup was when I made a COP setup and ran it with the MS PnP. I would kill to run that on my NB (COPs).

I am running the Toyota COP's on my car. 1990 with a '01+ VVT motor. I had to open up the spark plug holes in the valve cover, but after that they fit very well.

horribleR
09-05-2013, 06:05 PM
I only bought them for the coolness factor of being able to do this:

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab308/garyp_photo/DSCF2953_zpsae9b43f1.jpg