PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 Swap w/ Coolant Reroute - Thermoswitch sensor for fans

psulja
04-14-2013, 11:04 PM
In the middle of my engine swap with a coolant reroute it was brought to my attention that the 1.6 has 3 coolant temp sensors, something I completely overlooked.

These sensors can be seen on this diagram.
18-510 Temperature sender to the gauge cluster
18-840C (back of engine) Temperature sender to the PCM
18-840C (front of engine) Thermoswitch for cooling fans
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/paulsulja/m5_NA6_tempsender_zps55b215c0.jpg

Since I am doing a coolant reroute I deleted the front water neck off my 1.8 rather than transferring the 1.6 water neck over for a cleaner install. When I deleted the water neck I overlooked the thermoswitch sensor for my fans in the 1.6 waterneck.

My question is, to have that thermoswitch controlling my fans rather than running them on a manual switch until I go standalone, should that sensor be moved to the back of the engine and installed in my Begi coolant reroute spacer? Does it matter what side of the thermostat it goes on or am I just overthinking this and it is as simple as extending the wires to the back of the engine and tossing it in the spacer?

I'm leaning towards my overthinking it and it being as simple as extending the wires to install it into my Begi spacer but wanted second opinions.

ctrench
04-15-2013, 05:32 AM
Just install the sensor in your begi spacer...that is what i did and my car runs fine

psulja
04-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking but wanted to confirm and couldn't find much while searching. Will extend those wires and transfer the sensor on Wednesday when I work on the car next.