PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new clutch and lightened flywheel. suggestions ?

ZQQMIN
04-17-2013, 01:15 PM
as the title says. im looking around as i need a clutch now. and i figure while im in there i wanna change the flywheel as i have in every manual car ive had. so...... my plan is to replace it with something that can uphold to not only whats in there now , but growing HP numbers. do i want a puck clutch ? probly not, had one and theyre not very "streetable" and chatter from time to time, now that was in a FWD Se-r , Maybe it is a little different in a RWD like a miata. i truly dont know. what i do know , is i want it as streetable (comfortable, daily) as possible. be able to handle what a turbo 1.8 can throw at it ( modest, obviously not race built ) theres a few out there , but ill throw this up there just to get it started. im not necessarily looking at the disk as i am the name. KUPP? has anyone used them ? 7322

kung fu jesus
04-17-2013, 01:53 PM
I don't recognize KUPP, but maybe look at this from 949racing:

http://949racing.com/SuperMiata-Sport-Clutch-Miata-BP.aspx

I know Emilio did his homework on this particular clutch. I don't know what your HP goals are, but the boys at 949 use what they sell, and all they do is win. For flyweels, I am a big fan of chromoly units for less noise (gear lash) and safety.

ZQQMIN
04-17-2013, 02:29 PM
agreed on the Chromoly steel if for anything safety and the possibility of the ring gear popping off most aluminum ring gears are pressed on, and thats NOT cool. just the idea of it messing something up , and the aggravation of it all. Extreme frustration.. with the chromoly u gain a few pounds compared to aluminum, but worth it for the safety factor and still well below the stock weight.

MX5RACER
04-18-2013, 07:17 AM
Also check out both flyinmiata.com and good-winracing.com, they both offer a "Happy Meal" clutch/flywheel combo.

kung fu jesus
04-18-2013, 07:30 AM
Be cautious of the ACT clutches. Great product, heavy pedal. Had an xtreme on my 1.6 and it took everything I threw at it. It was heavy, though. I went through slaves about every 12 to 18 mos, depending on how much I drove it. I pulled it after about 80-90k and it still had a lot of material left.

RuckkehrMiata
04-22-2013, 07:28 AM
This is relevant for me because I want to do a clutch/flywheel/throwout job sometime this year (my throwout has begun singing, my clutch is getting soft, and it has all been in since the PO had it). I just wish they weren't moneymoneymoney!

BoBo
04-26-2013, 09:54 PM
FM happy meal & GWR act hd chromoly set should do the trick.

atlnb
04-28-2013, 09:15 AM
949 organic clutch with the exedy flywheel should be perfect

Silver92B
04-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Any flywheel in good condition can be lightened by a machine shop. An Exedy clutch can be purchased to meet your hp requirements. These are not too expensive. The Flywheel will cost about $80 to resurface and lighten. I don't think a puck style clutch is a good idea unless you plan to race the car and not really drive it on the streets. In my experience, very high performance clutches are a pita to drive on the streets.

MiataMatt
05-09-2013, 03:19 PM
I had a act 2600 6 puck sprung on stock flywheel in my turbo'd sentra SE-R. It was very chatter-happy. But grabbed super well and took all the abuse I could throw at it.

But traffic was a NIGHTMARE, and my left leg was twice as jacked as my right.

A friend of mine is making ~260awhp in a wrx swapped 2.5rs on an exedy stage 1. Feels close to my stock miata pedal and also takes all the abuse he can throw at it.

+1 for exedy. I plan on doing a clutch/flywheel soon and am currently leaning towards exedy.