PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it... parting out Miatas ...

wannafbody
04-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Seems that there is a trend lately, people building and then parting out Miatas or people parting out ratty looking but totally rebuildable Miatas. Often these cars' tubs look better than ones you can find in the rust belt. At this rate the NA is gonna be the next model T and they'll all be sitting stripped in scrapyards. :fp:

kung fu jesus
04-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Between Spec miata in SCCA and NASA, and the heightened resurgence in popularity, it makes complete sense. But a wrecked one for under $1k and make $2k+, depending on options and condition. If I had the room, I would consider it.

e30s are going through the same thing.

atank
04-22-2013, 12:45 PM
I only part out salvaged cars, the latest 97M had a previous rebuilt title, and then it was wrecked again, so it was a salvage of a salvage.

psulja
04-22-2013, 01:08 PM
I parted out my car after I spun a bearing because it was rusty and damaged. I don't see many clean cars being parted, usually there is some sort of damage or rust on them. And financially it is a lot smarter to part out than sell seeing how little money you would actually get selling a salvaged title or rusted out car.

When I asked what my car would be worth if I sold it I was told about $800, parting it out I made over $2500 with parts still sitting here.

bigx5murf
04-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Nothing wrong with it IMO, really helps out the guys who are trying to maintain, or improve their personal miata on a budget. The availability of cheap salvage parts is one of the biggest appeals of the platform IMO.

For example, my driver side power lock actuator started acting up. I posted a WTB on a facebook group and got offered one for $35 shipped before the end of the day.

I'm currently parting an NA with a friend, and yes we've made a little cash on it. But more importantly, we really fixed up a few issues with his personal 92, and helped out a lot of the local guys.

The Driver
04-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Nothing wrong with it IMO, really helps out the guys who are trying to maintain, or improve their personal miata on a budget. The availability of cheap salvage parts is one of the biggest appeals of the platform IMO.

Agreed!

DK Wolf
04-22-2013, 02:43 PM
I don't care about the car, and neither should anyone else. It's just a machine.

I'm parting mine for it's treasure trove of goodies. Only got 5 months left on Okinawastan, don't need another project, and the financial injection will help recover some of the loss of owning my FD.

tsingson
04-22-2013, 02:49 PM
DK has helped me out tremendously with his partout. I look at it like organ donors. If someone else can use the parts and it's not doing anything but going to scrap, then why waste it.

JLBMX5
04-22-2013, 03:03 PM
My brother is interested in buying a Miata something cheap and needs work is what he is looking for. Problem he is having is. There is two different people locally scooping up all the cheap miatas no matter the condition. And stripping them and reselling parts. The good side is if I need something for my Miata odds are I can find it. The bad side is my brother is either gonna have to pay top dollar on a cheap Miata or try to beat one of the Miata salvage guys to a buy.

DK Wolf
04-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Capitalism..

Tell your brother to step his damn game up instead of complaining. He doesn't have to spend top dollar if he doesn't want to.

tsingson
04-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Kinda agree with DK on that one, James.

JLBMX5
04-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Lol if it wanted for the parts guy I would not have my lighted rear view mirror. I paid 1600.00 for my Miata last year. It still drives great. Would of been a stripped vehicle if it was listed closer to our area. I had to drive to Virginia to pick it up and all ready explained to my brother just keep looking outside of our area. And don't be afraid to offer less and one day he will be driving a Miata. By the way I under stand the whole flipping things for a profit. I flip TVs just no competition in my area so I'm able to buy cheap and hold on to the until I make profit on them :)