PDA

View Full Version : Epic Miata Road Trip

dangerousdave
05-01-2013, 03:00 AM
So the story goes.. my girlfriend and I quit our jobs and sold nearly everything we owned to take a 2 year tour of the US on bicycles. One month and four states later she got some really bad knee pain. X-rays, MRI scans, etc.. the doctors found nothing wrong, and told us to stay off of it for awhile. Came back home to rest and slowly start biking again and it's still hurting, even on short rides. Which brings us to:

Plan B!

We started looking at touring motorcycles on craigslist since that was the next best thing and I got the idea of getting a car so we could have shelter. Always wanted a Miata so I started browsing the net and ended up getting an amazing deal! A mostly stock 2002 SE with only 50,000 miles for $5800. Beautiful condition, only mods were a K&N intake and tinted windows. Everything else is perfect other than a few rock chips in the paint which is no big deal. Of course some people think we're crazy to do this in such a small car, but compared to our bicycles it's huge, comfy and luxurious :)

I'm doing all the 60,000 mile maintenance before we hit the road, but I was wondering what else we might need to think of? Also looking to get some advice for the best roads to drive. We're trying to avoid interstates as much has possible. Our route starts in Louisiana, up the east coast, across the midwest, down the west coast and back.

TLDR; Doing a 15,000 mile road trip in a miata, what would you do?

Willywongka
05-01-2013, 04:41 AM
I would suggest getting a trunk rack to carry extra stuff for your trip =).

Thumper13
05-01-2013, 06:35 AM
Fresh brake fluid and grease the slider pins.

kung fu jesus
05-01-2013, 06:59 AM
^ I agree. At that mileage the car isn't even broken in yet, should be GTG with minor prep like that.

Replace the clutch slave too.

treeafodo
05-01-2013, 08:35 AM
You guys seem to be quite the adventurous couple. Good luck and safe travels in your trip.

kung fu jesus
05-01-2013, 08:43 AM
New A/S tires, good ones, and keep a bag of those foam ear plugs in the glovebox. Sometimes it's hard to take a nap while riding in the car because of the road noise.

You should post a general map of your intended route, might be able to meet others along the way. As a midwestern, corn-fed, big dumb white guy who has lived on both coasts, I can tell you you're going to love both sides. I love the southeastern coast (Savanna to the Outer Banks) and the Pacific coastal areas. Unique, contrasting landscapes and cultures.

revlimiter
05-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Replace the clutch slave too.

^ The wisdom in this statement cannot be overstated. You might do the clutch master at the same time. It's cheap and easy and you might as well do it when the clutch fluid is out.

Also +1 on the trunk rack.

And PIX! Post your roadtrip!

tsingson
05-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Definitely pictures! If you ever swing through the Raleigh/Durham area, let us know. It would be great to meet you!

Agent☣Orange
05-01-2013, 09:45 AM
http://www.drivingcomfort.com/index.cfm?fa=s&keywords=seatcushions&sc=61234&pc=XEY3NZLB&gclid=CJTw7suS9bYCFQVV4Aoda1IAEw

tsingson
05-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Seeing how this trip is going to turn out just reminds me of this:

(Please excuse my Lazy Paint Skills)

kung fu jesus
05-01-2013, 10:51 AM
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/36/21/03/33/0036210333306_500X500.jpg

just sayin'...

kung fu jesus
05-01-2013, 10:53 AM
My NA saw 3 of the four coasts in the US over my ownership (Atlantic, Pacific, Great Lakes), never made it to the Gulf Coast in it. Great memories and drives.

Phatmiata
05-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Replace the Clutch Slave!!!! And get the brakes serviced. Kick the tires.

Side note: You might also check to see if there are local Miata clubs in each town/city you visit to see if there is an event, maybe pick up a sticker from each Miata club you visit, and then stick them all over one of your luggage pieces, would be kinda cool to keep for the memories.....

http://www.babygadget.net/suitcase-couverture.jpg

kung fu jesus
05-01-2013, 11:25 AM
http://www.carstickerwiki.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/obxoval.jpg

If you put any of these on your car, even from HB, SC (Huntington Beach, San Clemente, respectively), I'll find you and stab you with a brick. :)

tsingson
05-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Any particular reason why Steven?

kung fu jesus
05-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Between those ovals and stick figure families, it's just cliche. Now, if it was like Phat posted, a hardside luggage on the trunk rack with those plastered all over, that would be pretty cool and a cumulative souvenir to boot!

Vegard
05-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Bon voyage! Are you tenting along the way?

dangerousdave
05-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Yeah we're going to be sleeping in a tent and in the car when possible, couchsurfing, and a hotel stay every once in awhile to relax :) Trying to do it as cheaply as possible so we can drag it out as long as we can :)

RoadsterTech
05-03-2013, 06:18 PM
In your trip try to make it down to Tampa/ St. Petersburg..
We have a nice contingent of Miatae .. It would be cool to have you at some of our meets.

Silver92B
05-03-2013, 06:44 PM
OK, I drove my NA from Tacoma WA to Atlanta GA in November and tried camping along the way. I would strongly suggest making sure that you are not trying to camp in November. Not only it can get cold as hell, but the night is too long and getting out of the sleeping bag in the darkness and cold is no fun. Your idea sounds like a lot of fun and I don't want to sound negative, *but* the Miata is awfully small and has precious little room for cargo. As others suggested, I strongly agree on some sort of auxiliary luggage rack. I had my Miata packed to the gills, including the rear shelf and the passenger's side seat and foot well with my stuff as well as the trunk, and it was barely enough. I carried a (2) man tent, some clothes, camera and some basic camping gear. I also carried a few extra Miata bits which added to the bulk. Take a small tablet and use the free WiFi at McDonald's and other fast food places.BTW, you'll learn to love McDonalds... And Walmart (but it will only be a one night stand LOL!).
Some hotels and Motels are great, but many are horrible beyond words, beware of bedbugs... And shady characters. Buy some Bear spray at REI, it'll make you feel safer...

Since there are 2 of you traveling, I think you'll have to be super efficient in packing your stuff and minimalist to the extreme. I do think it could be done and you'll have a wonderful time. I strongly suggest traveling along the Pacific on the PCH. The Western states can be amazing. The Grand Canyon could be along the way. The BLM parks and camping areas are very nice and quite cheap! I hear that Idaho, Wyoming, Montana have breathtaking scenery. OTOH, traveling through Kansas, parts of Texas and some parts of the Midwest can be less than fun (a lot less). The North GA mountains, TN, Blue Ridge Parkway (NC, VA) are beautiful. KY is also quite beautiful.

You'll have a blast! I wish I was taking another long road trip....

Oh yeah, you'll want to get the "Oh Ranger" app for your iPhone. it's invaluable for finding National & state parks and camping areas

dangerousdave
05-03-2013, 06:53 PM
We're already used to camping out in the cold, and we have all our equipment already from our bike tour. It all fits in the trunk with a couple things behind her seat (short legs!) Our stuff is very minimal as it is, riding bicycles and hauling all of your personal possessions up hills quickly makes you realize how little you really need =)

DepravedInfant
05-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Though it runs North & South, definitely hit at least a few miles of old route 21 South of St. Louis if you're going through Missouri. As long as you stay on the old road, it's hundreds of miles of bliss. And it's probably the most beautiful scenery in the state.

Vegard
05-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Not to rip on the fact that you won't be biking (hopefully the knee gets better for future bike trips) but how are the bike trails in the US?

I went on a little bicycle trip last year (a month in central europe) and loved it, I've been thinking about taking a bike trip in the US, next time I'm there on holiday.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/408201_10151277032020499_72448350_n.jpg

dangerousdave
05-09-2013, 11:55 AM
It really depends on the state, but from what I've heard Europe has way better bike trails. Florida for example has really good bike trails everywhere: http://goo.gl/maps/Ghjxt

Vegard
05-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Thank you, hadn't seen that function on google maps before. Looks like the east coast of Florida could be a nice trip!