PDA

View Full Version : My oil pan.

I<3flippyheadlights
05-03-2013, 12:11 PM
I was under the car and looking at the oil pan in detail and noticed some small cracks. Well, maybe they aren't cracks. I don't really know. I can feel them as if they are bumps. No oil is seeping out of them (as far as I know) and I just want to know whats going on. So on a scale of 1 to 10 and 10 being skittles, what position am I in?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8259/8704299107_c8fe5dc853_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8704299107/)
WP_000563 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8704299107/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8258/8704298949_e0ee4ec3eb_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8704298949/)
WP_000565 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8704298949/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

Thanks everyone :|

riefdaddy
05-03-2013, 12:16 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They might be cracks, but apparently they don't leak, so I'd say a 2.5 on your scale. If you do anything, use a grease pencil to mark the end points of the cracks and monitor for growth. Do not use a graphite pencil (#2 lead as an example) as this will promote galvanic corrosion. I doubt you will see growth as the oil pan is not a stress panel. Do you usually have the undercarriage cover on? If not, it might have been road debris flying up and striking the pan.

I<3flippyheadlights
05-03-2013, 12:29 PM
The plastic under tray doesn't cover the oil pan. Maybe I should invest in something.

kung fu jesus
05-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Lack of road rash makes me think someone used the oil pan as a jacking point.

riefdaddy
05-03-2013, 01:35 PM
That could be true. I'd guess that maybe someone tried to use the subframe and started jacking only to notice they were too far back before they caused too much damage. I've seen a few jacking incidents on aluminum pans and everyone of them ended up punching a nice hole in the pan.

Once I posted I remembered that the pan is behind the tray and hidden by the subframe.

I<3flippyheadlights
05-03-2013, 01:35 PM
You would be correct in that assumption. When I replaced my motor mounts I had to jack up the engine. I put wood on the jack to distribute the weight and was careful. Was I not careful enough? Please share your wisdom KFJ, its always helpful.

kung fu jesus
05-03-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm not a metallurgist, or engineer, I'm an industrial designer, but I've been around manufacturing long enough to be dangerous with my art-meets-science background. My reasoning is this; aluminum is a porous metal, the pans are die-cast, so looking where the cracks are near the corners and fillets it looks like deflection stress. You get that when you put localized stress on cast aluminum on a relatively flat surface. Those fins aren't structural, they are heat sinks.

I don't know if it was caused by you using the jack on it. The wood makes me think no, but I don't know the size of the block you used. The idea of the wood is to act as a bushing and as a method to distribute the weight.

I suspect more that a previous owner(?) or shop may have used it as a jacking point.

It's fine, because it isn't weeping, but if it goes, you will have to pull the engine most likely to replace it. I am wondering if it might be worth it to use some JB weld or epoxy as a sort of 'spackling' to fill the crack and bond the separation.

The idea mentioned above to use a grease marker or sharpie to track the cracks is really smart, too.

Agent☣Orange
05-03-2013, 02:17 PM
It's fine, because it isn't weeping, but if it goes, you will have to pull the engine most likely to replace it. I am wondering if it might be worth it to use some JB weld or epoxy as a sort of 'spackling' to fill the crack and bond the separation.

The idea mentioned above to use a grease marker or sharpie to track the cracks is really smart, too.

Agree on the jacking damage idea. I'm always leery of jacking a Miata up at the oil pan but as long something like a piece of wood is used to distribute the weight, it should be okay. My jack has a wide, 6" plate to begin with and I but most common small jacks use a 2"-3" plate and that's concentrating too much force in one tiny area.

Replacing the oil pan is a hellish job so I'd avoid any more jacking on this one or else replacement will be inevitable. I like your idea of JB Weld as a sturdy Band Aid in the meantime.

RuckkehrMiata
05-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Oil pan is a neutral-pressure zone isn't it? I have a hole in the side of mine from the previous owners brilliant (failed) oil return tap. It weeps, but I lose more oil to my aging seals than I do the hole.

Agent☣Orange
05-03-2013, 02:48 PM
It's not high pressure but remember the crankcase does build up pressure as the pistons move and that is normally vented through the PCV valve.

RoadsterTech
05-03-2013, 02:51 PM
I agree with jacking damage...
The problem with stress fractures or deflection fractures is that they can grow...
I agree with the grease pencil or acid free marker.

JB weld would stop some weeping but would not stop the growth if it occurs. You need to stop the growth line with a small drill hole and weld.
Not a good idea on a working Miata oil pan.

Flippy its sad that you didn't see this before the clutch job. For about the same amount of time you could have pulled your Engine swapped Oil pans and done the clutch out of the car on a table, then drop the Engine back in...

Monitor closely if it grows, or starts to leak, get a replacement oil pan and call for another tech session.

RoadsterTech
05-03-2013, 02:52 PM
It's not high pressure but remember the crankcase does build up pressure as the pistons move and that is normally vented through the PCV valve.

Don't forget vibration as well

RuckkehrMiata
05-03-2013, 02:53 PM

Yeah I learned my PCV valve stopped working one day when my oil cap dented my hood on the way to work.
oops.

I<3flippyheadlights
05-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Well I did some research on this. Seems that people who are suffering from a weeping oil pan dremal the crack and fill it with JB. Since mine isn't leaking, I'm gonna just watch it. i also read a thread on M.net that it is a normal thing with aluminum oil pans. Its just stress and no big deal. (that is my right brain interpretation of the situation)

I also have this around my oil drain plug. Strange, I know. I felt the cracks and they feel like bumps. Also very strange.

I'm just gonna keep driving this engine into the ground. Sucks that I have done all the maintaine but it still has a good amount of life in it; I can feel it. I'll just keep my eyes open for an engine if the problem gets worse.

RoadsterTech
05-03-2013, 05:05 PM
fwiw my 300K mile engine did not have oil pan cracks not so sure its a common AL thing.
But if it doesn't leak don't worry about it, just monitor it every oil change.

RE new engine ... You know you want to go 1.8 anyway...

Agent☣Orange
05-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Haha, cracks in the oil pan are not normal but if thats what m.net says, it must be gospel.

I<3flippyheadlights
05-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Rick, I dont think I would go 1.8 if I had a choice. I have a full 1.6 exhaust and supercharger.

Yellow, im only taking m.net for some advice. Gotta know everything.

RoadsterTech
05-03-2013, 05:46 PM
I know someone that will be willing to take your supercharger off your hands for a small fee....:winky:

I<3flippyheadlights
05-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Hahahaha you so funny.

kung fu jesus
05-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Buddy of mine in Alabammer cracked open his oil pan after hitting a chunk of concrete in the road. He JB welded it and has held for the last 4-5 years.

I<3flippyheadlights
05-03-2013, 09:10 PM
JB weld it is then!

kung fu jesus
05-03-2013, 09:17 PM
This isn't as common an ocurrance as it is in the e30 crowd, or the hella slammed (yo!) circles.

I<3flippyheadlights
05-03-2013, 11:31 PM
I figure it happens all the time to slammed cars. I can picture some swagslammedkid wanting to lift the engine and breaking their pans.

blenderblast
05-04-2013, 12:10 PM
If you get them welded, castaluminum has to be heated to 400°f before it can be welded.

Thumper13
05-04-2013, 06:31 PM
I figure it happens all the time to slammed cars. I can picture some swagslammedkid wanting to lift the engine and breaking their pans.

I saw some kid with major slammage at CR.N damage his oil pan ( I believe it was an elevated manhole cover that got him ). He took a flattened Budweiser can and JB Weld,patched the pan and drove that way for over a year.

furrycurry33
05-06-2013, 10:54 AM
I saw some kid with major slammage at CR.N damage his oil pan ( I believe it was an elevated manhole cover that got him ). He took a flattened Budweiser can and JB Weld,patched the pan and drove that way for over a year.

Classy.

blenderblast
05-06-2013, 06:48 PM
oh and if you bring me the oil pan, I can weld it for you.

I<3flippyheadlights
05-06-2013, 10:13 PM
I don't plan on taking my oil pan out anytime soon. Rather do the beer can :P