PDA

View Full Version : I need to replace my O2 sensors, will universal work or should I get OE fit?

SM16RMSM
05-09-2013, 02:34 PM
So, I tired of my engine light coming on AND not getting the gas mileage I think my MSM should technically get. I getting the P0420 code and I think the sensors have gone bad from sitting too long. I bought her with only 16,9xx miles in 2011. SO, I gone to Advance and got myself a price for the sensors. I choose Bosch since I don't believe putting cheap sh!t on my car. Well, when the total came out, I was looking at $300+ before taxes for just 2 sensors. I think that is BS for just two sensors.

With part numbers in head from Nexcat (a program we use at work), i took my search out onto the internet. I found that if I get them from Rock Auto, I am $200+ shipped to my front door. That is still out of my price range so I looked on eBay and found them much cheaper. $65 for the upstream, $88 for downstream.

This isn't bad but I still want to go lower if possible so I looking into the universal style, 15730 for upstream and 15733 for downstream. On RockAuto, upstream looks to be around $36 bucks and downstream looks to be $42. This is much cheaper and I go afford this route.

My main question is, how hard is it to splice the wires in. I will cut the butt connector off the old sensor and splice them into the universal O2 sensors using the quick connector supplied by Bosch. Has anyone done this before by any chance? It doesn't sound too hard, just time consuming. What do you guys think?

The Driver
05-09-2013, 02:51 PM
For not a lot more RSpeed has the plug and play 02's that were installed in the factory. When the time comes, this is what I'll do!

SM16RMSM
05-10-2013, 11:51 AM
I looked into that but I don't know what brand he selling. I rather used a name brand like Bosch. Shops that I deliver parts to tell me stay away from the cheap no name brand stuff.

Martin
05-10-2013, 01:14 PM
RSpeed ususally sells good stuff so I wouldn't worry about quality when buying from them

kung fu jesus
05-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Bosch sensors aren't necessarily the best ones out there. NGK, Denso, etc. all make top-shelf sensors that are OEM suppliers, high-quality, and sometimes cheaper than Bosch. I have had better luck with them as well.

0420 also doesn't always mean bad O2 sensors. It would be ideal to connect to an OBD scanner that allows you to monitor the sensors' outputs. That would tell you if they are the culprit for chucking the code. You may find yourself replacing the cat too, otherwise.

The splice-in universal units are pretty easy, they come with a weather-pack type connector, so you can cut the plug off the old one and connect it to the new one. If you are soldering, you need to use high-silver content solder to make it work. Sometimes, the universal O2s are a little longer than the OE ones and if they are in a tight space, there can be clearance issues. Also remember the wires on the O2 sensors are shielded.

Agent☣Orange
05-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Good tips KFJ. Personally, before a big expense like O2 sensors, I'd check their output via OBD like you said and clean the intake with special attention to the EGR passage as well.