PDA

View Full Version : no parking brake now

Mountain Green
05-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Just had the local auto shop install a set of rear brake pads during the recent
inspection for a sticker. Existing pads were still OK, but were low.

After install, my parking brake lever has little to no resistance. I manually adjusted
the cable screw all the way, and still not enough to hold the car. The parking brake did
hold the car prior to new pad install. Cables are connected to the linkage at the wheel
hub.

Could the problem be that is the tech did not pre load the caliper piston with that screw
adjustment on the caliper ? That 's all I can think of.

99 NB Sport 5-spd

JLBMX5
05-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Since you paid a shop to do the brakes and the e brake worked before I would take car back it sounds like they did not readjust the rear caliper that would also mean as of now you not stopping the car with anything but front brakes.

RuckkehrMiata
05-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Since you paid a shop to do the brakes and the e brake worked before I would take car back it sounds like they did not readjust the rear caliper that would also mean as of now you not stopping the car with anything but front brakes.

Yeah it sounds like they completely ignored the caliper adjustment on the rears. Definitely take it back to them.

Agent☣Orange
05-13-2013, 05:47 AM
Make sure to loosen that "cable screw" all the way slack before taking your car back. There are even more cable adjustments underneath BTW. As was said, they have to start with adjusting the rear calipers first and then any cable adjustments. Maybe point out to them that the caliper adjustors are hidden dust-cap bolts.