PDA

View Full Version : Brake light indicator in dash is on

WDBMX5
05-24-2013, 04:14 AM
i was driving home and my brake light came on...i didnt hit my emergency brake and i had it off before i took off....would it be a sensor or low brake fluid that would make it come on???its not running sluggish like my brake is on....

thanks

atank
05-24-2013, 05:07 AM
Simplest Verify your emergency brake switch is not sticking
A check your brake fluid level (unless you have a leak, it goes down as the brake pads/rotors wear)
*B check your brake pads/rotors
*C check your slave cylinder (if it is the slave cylinder replace and do a full fluid change)

*B&C If you don't feel comfortable doing this have your big brother do it....hehehe

Agent☣Orange
05-24-2013, 08:06 AM
::Edited thread title to give users information about the thread.

Yes, low brake fluid will also trigger the dash light.

WDBMX5
05-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks atank and yellow it was the brake fluid low I do appreciate the help

JLBMX5
05-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Go out to my storage building. In the back on the wooden rail is a black 32oz bottle of brake fluid. Add fluid. Then park car on drive way. Jack it up and take off all four tires. When I get home we can check for leaks or when Nate gets home have him get in car and press brake pedal while you look at all four calipers for a leak.we can only hope its leaking from there

atank
05-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks atank and yellow it was the brake fluid low I do appreciate the help

Your Welcome, hope its nothing serious!!!

atank
05-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Go out to my storage building. In the back on the wooden rail is a black 32oz bottle of brake fluid. Add fluid. Then park car on drive way. Jack it up and take off all four tires. When I get home we can check for leaks or when Nate gets home have him get in car and press brake pedal while you look at all four calipers for a leak.we can only hope its leaking from there

So you guys live in the same area???

tsingson
05-24-2013, 11:13 AM
They are brothers.

atank
05-24-2013, 11:18 AM
They are brothers.

Good to know!

JLBMX5
05-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Live in the same house :)

atank
05-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Live in the same house :)

And you both drive the best Roadsters!!!!

WDBMX5
05-24-2013, 12:42 PM
He got me interested in miatas. I love it now. Lol. So much I wanna do not enough money to do it yet. Lol

theothersawyer
05-24-2013, 12:58 PM
That's cool! My sister got me interested in Miatas, but now sadly her's is for sale so that she can grow up and get married! :(

JLBMX5
05-24-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm 38 and been married 17 years. Got my my Miata last year. But I've always liked working on cars so the Miata is a great fun project and did as well

kung fu jesus
05-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Not always true, but I find when the brake fluid is low and there are no leaks, it will be time to change the brakes soon. Usually, if there are leaks at the calipers, it shows up on the wheels and the brake dust sticks to it. I have seen leaks at the master itself where the reservoir pops into the cylinder...sometimes those bushings between the two wear and start to weep. There will be signs of this on the vacuum booster or on the paint under the master itself.

JLBMX5
05-24-2013, 03:07 PM
I looked at his car. When he bought the car a cpl of months ago the brake pads were new. I was hoping maybe a bleeder screw was loose. I have had a cpl of them that I did not completely tighten after a brake job. I did not find anything on his Miata. Bit I do see clear fluid at the master I just could not see where it had came from so he gonna need to clean engine in that area and check daily to try and find where the leak is.

Agent☣Orange
05-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Not always true, but I find when the brake fluid is low and there are no leaks, it will be time to change the brakes soon. Usually, if there are leaks at the calipers, it shows up on the wheels and the brake dust sticks to it. I have seen leaks at the master itself where the reservoir pops into the cylinder...sometimes those bushings between the two wear and start to weep. There will be signs of this on the vacuum booster or on the paint under the master itself.

Yes, IMO it's almost always the master letting some fluid past the seals rather than a loose bleeder. Unless there was a recent brake job/flush done, there's almost no chance a bleeder valve backed itself lose. You're right though, a visual inspection will reveal all.