PDA

View Full Version : Which car color blends in better, black or white?

Jeremiah
05-28-2013, 02:35 PM
As the title states, which car color blends in the urban environment better, black or white?

I am purchasing a new vehicle soon and black and white cars have always been my preference when it comes to colors. Black is classic and elegant, menacing to boot. White is fresh and clean, and evokes purity. They complement each other well, ebony and ivory. Now here is where I am torn, I love both, I want both...but I can only choose one color.

My question to you is which color will blend in the pack? Go more unnoticed while parked in the lot or in the neighborhood? Some say black tends to blend in but from my experience, when I am driving slow or just cruising around the block/town more people seem to notice the vehicle. Yet many of my close calls where people have made abrupt lane changes/nearly collided with me have been when I was driving my black car (Miata). I tend to think people see black cars (especially the way mine is set up with the 5% tinted windows all around) looks suspicious. While white looks more innocent and unassuming? We have a white Civic sedan and I dont get the looks that I do when I am rolling around in our black cars. We also have a similar Civic but in black.

If I choose white, I feel like the I tend to stand out in a bland way. Many people see white as boring...but at the same time it just glows and gleams in the sun.

Bear in mind both cars will be modified discreetly, silver wheels, quiet exhaust systems, nothing to draw any more attention to them.

Which color will blend in best? Black or white?

And some may silver would do that best and I agree but I can't do silver...I do not like that color.

kung fu jesus
05-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Who cares what people think? If you like it, own it, the rest can keep to themselves.

I prefer White for easier accessory matching, easier to keep clean, easier to cool.

Grip Driver
05-28-2013, 05:52 PM
I prefer white as well but in the end, you have to live with it. Make your decision and stick with it :)

drv2fst
05-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Depends on the white, some look like an appliance (refrigerator), but brighter whites with clear coat look almost as classy as black.

Dandy
05-28-2013, 07:10 PM
It's hard for me to pick one over the other. My current Miata is black and my former Miata was white. It sounds like you have given it a lot of thought and I can't say I disagree with your observations.

I think the black does generally look more dramatic. The paint can look deeper which can look awesome in photographs. However in everyday driving, it is prone to show dirt, water spots, and swirl marks more than white. If you are a real fanatic it can drive you crazy trying to keep it looking as beautiful as it can be. Others may not notice the subtle imperfections but there are some enthusiasts that just shouldn't own black for their own mental stability.

White on the other hand can look a bit bland in stock form. However, a few subtle mods to introduce some contrast and I think it can really stand out. On my early NA I added the front and rear R-package lip spoilers (that should have come from the factory) and left the TSI's unpainted among other things to had some contrast and visual texture to the gleaming white body of the car. 7771 I don't think you notice light dirt, water spots, or swirl marks on white as much as you do black. It just gradually dulls in appearance until the next wash and then it looks so clean and right that you can't stop smiling and staring at it.

If I was going to drive the car everyday, I'd have to lean towards white. Just wash it frequently to keep the smile on your face firmly in place. If the car is going to be more of a garage queen, I might go with black and know that in addition to washing, I am going to spend a bit more time waxing and polishing as well.

atank
05-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Just do a Panda, with carbon hood and deck lid.........

Jeremiah
05-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the input everyone and Dandy, you know I am one of those crazy black car owners. Its a never ending battle with swirls and dust. All cars get dirty the same...its just black showcases it all and is the most unforgiving. I like the fact that white doesn't show swirls as bad, tends to look cleaner longer, and just overall is much more forgiving. I wash my Miata once a week because its a daily driver and I always wanna drive a clean car.

I'm always careful not to induce swirls so I wash 2 bucket method with grit guard, foam gun, only wipe in one direction (no circular motions), etc. Then when needed I clay the car, polish, and seal. Black is not just a color, its a hobby. And I don't own black...black owns me. :O

Our Taffeta white Civic on the other hand is a joy to wash, she looks cleaner much longer and once shes washed...she really shines and gleams. No depth like black but the car reflects like hell...so fresh and so clean.

The Miata is my third black car and I don't think I can take it anymore lol...I love black but at the same time I'm pulling my hair out. I have a feeling once I go white I wont be coming back to black.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/p480x480/581229_145288185660884_1609084318_n.jpg

Dandy
05-28-2013, 09:40 PM
I have a feeling there is a rim-shot coming.

Jeremiah
05-28-2013, 11:17 PM

I dont follow?

But speaking of wheels, even the inside spokes of my K1s are clean and the barrels too.
Although washing the wheels once a week along with the rest of the car makes it easy to maintain the cleanliness.

Quicksilver
05-29-2013, 04:29 AM
White is highly visible, a desirable quality for a small car in traffic. Keeping it clean is MUCH easier as it doesn't look bad even when it's dirty. If you go black, get the California Duster for use between washes.
I've had both colors. My silver Audi never really shows the dirt, and it is not garaged (the red Miata gets the garage space because the strong sun in Florida will quickly "pink out" the red).

RyanG
05-29-2013, 07:52 AM
I think you should go white for reasons that others have stated. White is easier to keep clean and it is actually the first color you will see in any environment because it is not a commonly natural color. I own a black Miata now and while it looks absolutely amazing after a wash and wax it never lasts very long.

Martin
05-29-2013, 07:58 AM

I dont follow?

Once you go white you never go back.

(doesn't rhyme :( )

Flyin 92
05-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Just do a Panda, with carbon hood and deck lid.........

My thought exactly