PDA

View Full Version : Empty space

brontosaurus
06-13-2013, 05:29 PM
I feel that each post is given too much screen real estate for the amount of text that sits in it.

brontosaurus
06-13-2013, 05:30 PM
I feel that each post is given too much screen real estate for the amount of text that sits in it. FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLFILLER FILLEFILLEFILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER R FILLER FILFILLER FILLER FILLERFILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER LER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER R FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER ER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER
For example, the post above is short, and takes up just as much space as the one here, yet there's nothing in it. While this seems like a relatively minor thing, it affects the way I go through threads. I have to scroll through more to see less content.

I have hid the "rank" class using adblock and it has helped a bit, but it still seems a bit.. sparse.

Grumpy
06-13-2013, 06:43 PM
this situation is probably due to all the stuff on the left, our picture/name/info etc. Only way around it is if all that was on the left was our forum name

brontosaurus
06-13-2013, 07:00 PM
this situation is probably due to all the stuff on the left, our picture/name/info etc. Only way around it is if all that was on the left was our forum name
True. There's a good amount of fat to trim there IMO. The gauge and text above it really adds nothing to the forum. Reg date and post count is pretty much enough. Car information could be moved to the sig area, etc.

revlimiter
06-13-2013, 07:04 PM
I like a good white space, but that first post really highlights the problem.

I've never been in love with the tach.

Agent☣Orange
06-14-2013, 12:00 AM
I understand the sentiment and personally, I think that obnoxiously long signatures should go. It's always a balance between user features and forum efficiency. My take on it so far is that it's a good balance between features and performance and nobody else seems put off by it. Sure we could add so much crap on the left that each post occupies eight inches but right now, it's a good thing.

Tekel
06-14-2013, 07:20 AM
It also doesn't help that the signature doesn't start until after all the stuff in the side bar.

atank
06-14-2013, 07:35 AM
http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm351/atank_1/emptyspace_zpsae4e24d7.jpg (http://s316.photobucket.com/user/atank_1/media/emptyspace_zpsae4e24d7.jpg.html)

atank
06-14-2013, 07:38 AM
ARXKvVeVtXg

Phatmiata
06-14-2013, 09:28 AM
This one made me laugh. :pointlaugh:

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm351/atank_1/emptyspace_zpsae4e24d7.jpg (http://s316.photobucket.com/user/atank_1/media/emptyspace_zpsae4e24d7.jpg.html)

MazRoadAdmin
06-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Our forum works like pretty much every forum out there. The template we used is based on the standard vBulletin template. Making changes to it is NOT as easy as you might think.

Just type longer and more meaningful posts. Problem solved.

brontosaurus
06-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Alright, I'll just settle with using adblock to hide the things I don't think are useful. Thanks.

Agent☣Orange
06-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Not sure what you mean by adblock since there are no ads inside posts. As MazRoadAdmin said, the formatting here is standard vB package just like every other vB forum in the world.

We haven't done anything to make our forum less efficient with screen real estate. I think you're the only one who's ever brought it up but just so you're aware, you can go into your settings and change your personal view of the forum.

At the very top, right of the page, go to: Settings>General Settings>Thread Display Options and deselect signatures, avatars and even images if you want. You can also adjust how many posts per page to view from the standard 20 posts to lesser or more.

brontosaurus
06-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Adblock lets you hide certain elements on the page, for example if I disable class "rank", I get rid of the gauge cluster.

Thanks for the suggestions, I like the forum, it's just.. minor gripes :)

revlimiter
06-14-2013, 09:50 PM
I disable class "rank", I get rid of the gauge cluster.

SAY. That's much better! Not sure why I never thought to do that.