PDA

View Full Version : na lower control arm bolt will not budge

JLBMX5
06-28-2013, 03:43 PM
I am in process of replacing rear bearings on my Miata and the long lower control arm bolt that holds the bearing housing in place is not moving. The nut came off but bolt did not budge. If there is a method to remove this please tell me . I did not want to apply to much force and break anything so I will hold off and maybe someone who knows about this job can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Rogue
06-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Its likely bent, so you will need to replace it.
No easy way to remove a bent one.
Keep working it with a big drift and a maul.

JLBMX5
06-28-2013, 05:47 PM
With a can of pb blaster. A breaker bar and a 3 ft pipe I was able to first move the bearing housing once I could move that just a little while soaking bolt in pb blaster I was able to break the rust loose. Soon as bolt was able to rotate I hit the nut end with a punch and it came right out. Both sides were seized but after figuring out the first one the second was done much faster. Tomorrow I'm getting bearings pressed out. The long bolts both were strait just a pain to remove.

wannafbody
06-28-2013, 08:23 PM
They can be real bitches. I had to take mine to my mechanic and have him torch it to get it to break free.

atank
06-28-2013, 08:25 PM
^^^Yes, been there done that (used a torch)^^^

JLBMX5
06-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Yea I read about torching them but risk damaging bushings so I opted not to use heat