PDA

View Full Version : How to Prep a Miata for Paint

Andy
07-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Ok it looks like my car will be going into the paint booth sooner rather than later.

I was trying to come up with a list of things to do in preparation and was advised to make a dedicated thread. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything.

My car is the dreaded paint peeling 92 Chrystal White miata.

1. Remove chrome miata door sills
2. Put back miata oem intake (Paint guy is painting the front cross member where a radiator panel would go).
3. Remove old belt trim molds from doors.
4. Order a new miata front sticker
5. Remove Frankenstein bolts and plate
6. remove the driver mirror(the base had small cracks and I have a newish one to be painted and put on)
7. Remove the front lip and hand it to him separately to paint black
8. Remove the luggage rack
9. Give car a good wash
10. Pressure clean the car to get as much loose paint chips off as possible.
11. Remove mudflaps

Can anyone think of anything I am missing or have anything to add?

Phatmiata
07-05-2013, 08:57 AM
I would remove as much as possible, turn signals, parking lights, badges, door handles, put crap stock wheels back on.

Andy
07-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Badges I forgot about. You would remove door handles on the miata?
I only have my 95m wheels. I sold the others a long time ago. Do you think it is that much of a risk?

I also want to invest in one of those things that you put on the car to protect it when you work on the car. Any one have any idea what that is called?

JLBMX5
07-05-2013, 10:13 AM
I had my car painted in November I removed both front turn signals. Both side view mirrors the door belt molding were also removed and after painted I installed new ones. Along with getting car painted I had a new front lip I had color matched so I handed it to paint guy to paint desperately. I did all my own body work along with I used a da sander and sanded my entire car to allow new paint to have something to stick too. Doing that saved me a ton of money on prep work. Paint job was 250.00. I would say go to whoever is going to paint your car. Take your car. Ask them what you can do as far as prepping the car .

Andy
07-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Well by prepping I meant removing parts. I intend on the painter to fix misc dings and small tiny surface rust spots. I just wanted to remove misc things to make it easier and a smoother process.

JLBMX5
07-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Oh in that case take as much off the car as you can.

maharaj
07-05-2013, 10:35 AM
I would also remove the front rubber molding that the top rest on which is above the windshield and might as well remove the soft top too. I know that it might seem like it is getting crazy to do that but the molding that holds it in is a barrier to the paint. If that molding/top is removed then the paint can go all the way up as opposed to taping off the molding. To help remove all wax/dirt you can also wash it with dawn liquid soap.

Andy
07-05-2013, 10:38 AM
well im painting it the same color.

Demon I Am
07-05-2013, 10:51 AM
yeah, you can remove the plastic bits in the wheel wells (splash guards). the "baby teeth" or tow hooks. the plastic cowl (under the wipers). if you are doing the door jams/sills, go ahead and remove everything from the doors, and the door seals.

Stealth97
07-05-2013, 12:00 PM
don't forget to strip off all that ugly bumpy crap from below the beltline

Andy
07-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Why? It serves a useful purpose and that is the way it came.

riefdaddy
07-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Remove any and all trim items to allow the paint to have a smooth end. If you don't, you run the risk of having paint peeling at the tape lines in the future. With painting, the devil is in the details and is the only reason painting a car is so expensive (well, a quality paint job compared to Maaco). Are you painting into the door jams, under the hood/trunk? If so, I would remove any weatherstripping I could and reinstall after painting is complete. My main reason for that is to prevent overspray. I've never seen a car that is resprayed to not have overspray in areas that aren't to be painted. I would also encourage you to remove your exhaust. You won't recognize your car when you get it back from paint! :)

Andy
07-05-2013, 02:31 PM
I am painting the same color. I asked for door jambs and will remind the guy tomorrow morning. I am not that crazy about the trunk as I still have some work to be done one it.

If memory serves he will do a 2 stage (paint and clear) I will remove the front lip and turn signal inductions to be painted black and have him do the whole car white like it was from the factory. I will further investigate as to the trunk weather trim and the windshield but as of now I probably wont do the roof weather stripping. It is miami and rainy season so if the roof is off the car or not sealed properly and it rains my interior will be ruined.

BoBo
07-05-2013, 06:16 PM
The best thing to do is to try to remove everything as much as possible and have the miata towed to the paint shop. But if you can't do that I would just remove as much as possible at the body shop. Look for dented or rusty parts that you might have, so that the bodyshop will know about it. Ask if the painter can give you a discount if you do the prep, if not just have him do the prep as well. Prep takes a lot of time and it's hard to find a shop you can trust to do good prep unless you pay a lot of money. In other words, ask if you can be there random times, so you can see the progress of your car.

If you have the money, ask if the painter can use and shoot PPG enviro base. I believe it's the best waterbone paint. Waterbone paints are less toxic and have more coverage with less coats. A good shop should be familiar with it. And ask who ever is painting to use a separate gun for base-coat and clear and not cheap out. Ask the painter if they will include cut & buff. Cut & buff is a must to get the trash out that you might have on the clear coat. Also make sure they make enough clear coats for cut & buff. Some painters make the clear coat thin if you don't pay enough, so that it gets scratch up easily. Don't do the door jambs if you don't have the budget. To paint the door jambs right, the painter has to remove the doors and sand everything down and it will cost a lot of money. Places like MAACO will charge you only $150 but will only wipe the door jambs and shoot it. That's why a decent paint job is a least $2500-5000, there is no short cut to paint work. Good luck.

Andy
07-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Ok this is weird but y Frankenstein bolt fell apart. I have never seen this before.

jnshk
07-10-2013, 11:39 PM
That's a common occurrence when removing. It's actually a stud with a Frankenstein "nut" on top. The stud is generally loctite-d in place from the factory. Use heat (either a powerful soldering iron or a heat gun) and the "double-nut" method to remove the stud if so desired.