PDA

View Full Version : Modifying rut. Want more fun. Ideas?

SteelReign
07-09-2013, 09:00 PM
I think I may be done modifying my 04 base model. I love driving it every time but to me, most of the remaining modifications seem to be too expensive, complex or unsafe. My goal is to make a fun, inexpensive street car with very limited autocross/track use. To me, "fun" means responsive steering feel and the feel and sensation of speed. Here's a short list of "fun" mods so far:

AEM intake
Roadstersport3 midpipe and axleback
ACT 9-lb flywheel
Flyin Miata V-Maxx coilovers
Flyin Miata Front and Rear sway bars
Konig wheels 15x7.5
BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 195/50/15

I've considered a few mods, but I'm staying away from these for a few reasons:

Rollbar: to me, unsafe for street use even with padding. Requires more safety equipment like seats/harness
Hardtop: takes away from exhaust sound and sensation of speed vs top down
Wider wheels/tires: Less response, feedback, ease of steering and transitions
Forced induction/Engine Swap: complicated, expensive, requires upgrading all other components
LSD: expensive, I'm not putting down much power as it is and I don't drive to the very limit all the time
Chassis reinforcement: The '04 seems to have plenty as is, not sure which would be best
Seats: more shoulder bolstering would be nice, a lower seating position too (foamectomy?)
Short shifter: really worth $100+? is it that much more fun?

So, what else can I do? I love high/fast revving and sharp, responsive handling. I'm not out to make a track car or fashion queen. Just street fun!

Thanks! :mrgreen:

maharaj
07-09-2013, 09:03 PM
New steering wheel?

SteelReign
07-09-2013, 09:09 PM
New steering wheel?

I thought of that too, but I really like the stock Nardi...I like air bags too, lol.

Dandy
07-09-2013, 10:13 PM
A weighted shift knob?

I have the M1 Abrams from TWM Performance (http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/mazdashiftknobs/mazda-miata-shift-knobs.html). I have mine set as low as it will go, so to me it acts like a short shifter as well. The added weight, at just over one pound, really makes throws feel smooth. This is something you come in contact with every time you drive your car. If you haven't done it yet, you may want to consider a weighted shift knob in a style that suits you.

afc2112
07-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Vintage oil cap or maybe Revlimiter gauges?

SteelReign
07-09-2013, 10:47 PM
A weighted shift knob?

I have the M1 Abrams from TWM Performance (http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/mazdashiftknobs/mazda-miata-shift-knobs.html). I have mine set as low as it will go, so to me it acts like a short shifter as well. The added weight, at just over one pound, really makes throws feel smooth. This is something you come in contact with every time you drive your car. If you haven't done it yet, you may want to consider a weighted shift knob in a style that suits you.

That sounds like something I could go for...I'll have to do more research on it. Shifting is fun!

Vintage oil cap or maybe Revlimiter gauges?

Ah, those are "dress-up" items...they're cool, but for the money, I want fun!

kung fu jesus
07-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Suspension bushings + steering component refresh.

Corner balancing.

SteelReign
07-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Suspension bushings + steering component refresh.

Corner balancing.

I've read that suspension bushings can do wonders...or nothing, if they're not too worn down. Seems somewhat difficult to do, but as the car ages, its gotta be done sometime...

This is the first I've heard of steering component refreshes and I'll see if that's an option.

I know corner balancing can make a big difference. But I think that's starting to get a bit too nit-picky. Almost into "race-car" territory, lol.

I love the suggestions though. I'm looking into getting a BLOX 450gm shift knob...

kung fu jesus
07-10-2013, 11:58 AM
The bushings, you should weigh out the age of the car (04) + the mileage + the climate. They are rubber, so it doesn't take long for them to harden and degrade. I think the IL replacement bushings or something less 'fierce' than the Energy bushings are your ticket for upgrading the feel without compromising the civility. Not an easy job, but worth the trouble.

Steering components, such as inners/outers, lower ball joints, uppers (if you are up to replacing them) offer a nice peace of mind and tighten the steering. Most people don't realize how sloppy their steering has become because they are only accustomed to their particular car.

My anecdotal experience comes from my NA and NB. The Na had ~130-140k on the stock bushings. I replaced them with Superpros + new steering components. The first corner I took was about 20 feet short of the apex because I hadn't realized how much slop i was used to in the car. "Laser direct" steering is as accurately as I can describe it. On the NB, I plan to go the same route, but in the meantime, new inners/outers/lowers really tightened up the car.

Corner balancing, why else would you buy coilovers for? This is the BIGGEST advantage to them and foregoing this procedure is akin to installing a supercharger and never putting the drive belt on it. You state, "To me, "fun" means responsive steering feel and the feel and sensation of speed." I ask why not spend the $100 or so to really dial in what you have to enjoy it as it was intended?

these cars are ALL about the summation of the 'little things'. Some of those 'things' aren't sexy, but it adds some detail to your enjoyment you cannot get from, say, a shift knob or some other dingleberry.

LostSoulMiata
07-10-2013, 12:53 PM
It sounds like you want to modify the car, but you don't want to go through the labor of doing so. I thought that was half of the fun of it??

Rollbar: Does not require seat or harness, you choose whether or not those come into play. Added safety and rigidity to chassis
Hardtop: adds to chassis rigidity; more sleek appearance
Wider wheels/tires: Depends on weight
Forced induction/Engine Swap: If you're not willing to do everything associated with this, then don't do it at all
LSD: Find a Torsen and have some more fun with added grip.
Chassis reinforcement: Frame rail bracing and stitching the chassis via welding
Seats: I vote for a foamectomy first or find some early NA cloth seats (mine sat really low compared to my surfboards)
Short shifter: Get the Mazdaspeed bushing and the other pieces associated with the shifter (firms up the shifter a ton)

Mazdaspeed or solid motor mounts and diff mounts are a suggestion from me. Just throwing all of this out there...

SteelReign
07-12-2013, 12:07 PM
I like all those ideas. I should probably note that I live on a 3rd floor apartment with public parking. It sucks to work on a car without a garage (raining all the damn time these days too). Until I get a real garage, I doubt I can do some of the larger projects.

I'll look into corner balancing and replacing some of the steering components. Wanna give it that "new" feeling. Drove a '05 with only 20k miles and it felt really tight. I also like the idea of motor mounts and have been playing around with that idea for some time. At least I'm fairly sure its an "easy" project. I guess there's still plenty that can be done.

...and I did order a weighted shift knob, :lol: Thanks for all the ideas guys!

Bummer
07-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Better tires. Look at Bridgestone RE-11A. The car will be transformed in the corners.

ilvtofu
07-13-2013, 02:23 PM
upgraded stereo head unit? I'm kinda considering it myself

A quality racing seat feels awesome in the curves and looks better too!

NW Bill
07-16-2013, 06:23 AM
I think I may be done modifying my 04 base model. I love driving it every time but to me, most of the remaining modifications seem to be too expensive, complex or unsafe. My goal is to make a fun, inexpensive street car with very limited autocross/track use. To me, "fun" means responsive steering feel and the feel and sensation of speed. Here's a short list of "fun" mods so far:

AEM intake
Roadstersport3 midpipe and axleback
ACT 9-lb flywheel
Flyin Miata V-Maxx coilovers
Flyin Miata Front and Rear sway bars
Konig wheels 15x7.5
BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 195/50/15

I've considered a few mods, but I'm staying away from these for a few reasons:

Rollbar: to me, unsafe for street use even with padding. Requires more safety equipment like seats/harness
Hardtop: takes away from exhaust sound and sensation of speed vs top down
Wider wheels/tires: Less response, feedback, ease of steering and transitions

Forced induction/Engine Swap: complicated, expensive, requires upgrading all other components
[Turbo - cheapest way to improve power; for +/- 200whp (about double what you have now), if the engine is in good condition this only requires an upgraded clutch although 2.5" exhaust is helpful] -- see Flyin' Miata Voodoo II and BEGi NB200 for kits, or make your own for less]

LSD: expensive, I'm not putting down much power as it is and I don't drive to the very limit all the time
[also about control, but LSD has its drawbacks; see the many threads on using the OBX helical LSD in the Miata -- about $350 new]

Chassis reinforcement: The '04 seems to have plenty as is, not sure which would be best
[frame rails -- stiffens even the '04 chassis, but also protects rails from street/speed bump/jacking at the wrong point damage; several choices]

Seats: more shoulder bolstering would be nice, a lower seating position too (foamectomy?)
Short shifter: really worth $100+? is it that much more fun?

So, what else can I do? I love high/fast revving and sharp, responsive handling. I'm not out to make a track car or fashion queen. Just street fun!

Thanks! :mrgreen:

consider:

-- Racing Beat front sway bar mounts supports (aka "blocks")($31 - http://www.racingbeat.com/Miata-1990-2005/Sway-Bars/54122.html)
watch the video showing the mounts flexing under use without the "blocks" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQG5aUrhpew&feature=c4-overview&playnext=1&list=TL4X9xiJtXGv8) and then the video showing the same car with the blocks installed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3deivrLzxmo); considered by many to be cheap insurance (replacing a cracked or broken mount is expensive); some find it improves front sway bar performance (even with upgraded sway bars)

-- adjustable endlinks for your sway bar (best options for an '04: Racing Beat "black" ball joint end links (see Flyin' Miata/Hard Dog Racing, since Racing Beat lists these only for the NC) or 949 Racing "SuperMiata" links. Lots of discussions on which is better with no clear winner (but the RB links tend to be quiet); do not confuse with comparisons of Racing Beat "red" links and 949 links

-- correct the non-linear coolant temperature gauge -- cost is a few dollars for electronic components to add to gauge; the real cost is time to pull and reinstall gauge cluster -- many write-ups of this simple fix

-- correct or replace the non-functioning OEM oil pressure gauge; add a low pressure warning light -- cost depends on whether you correct the OEM gauge, or replace it with an aftermarket gauge; many write-ups on both

-- add lights to the rear sidemarker reflectors (in most of the world, they came from the factory with lights, but not in N America) -- cheap fix

-- make the front & rear sidemarker lights blink with turn signals -- cheap fix

These won't add to your performance, but may make your Miata nicer:

-- OEM Miata cargo net for trunk; adds a cargo net to the forward wall of the trunk (about $20)

-- move passenger airbag switch to glove box and install OEM cubby in its place (as used in most of the world) (about $10-$20, depending where you buy the cubby)

-- if you haven't already done it, add Aux In to audio system (various kits, starting about $70; simple install)

-- Cool Breeze air scoop (about $30)

Bill

kung fu jesus
07-16-2013, 09:08 AM
The best way to minimize down time during a bushing refresh is to buy an extra set of arms. They just have to be straight. Swap out the bushings, clean up the arms in your own time, install them when they are all done. Sell off your old ones.

bwahahahaha
07-21-2013, 10:04 PM
If you're worried about bonking your head on the rollbar you could always go with a Hard Dog Ace. Sits much further back and doesn't interfere with seat belts (i.e. good for street use). Not as high of a bar of course but it still gives you some protection and the added chassis rigidity.

I'll also second FM frame rails, these will make a difference even on an 01+ NB with sport bracing.

07-23-2013, 01:57 PM
If the car is where you want it and you're happy with it I'd look at the next project.

SteelReign
08-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, it looks like there's still plenty I can do...although I'm still on the fence about roll bars.

I did order a real heavy shift knob recently and expect it in the mail soon. 600 gram twm!

kung fu jesus
08-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Clay bar. That should hold you for a while.

Pfunk
08-03-2013, 06:46 AM
I'm probably one of the last ones to talk to regarding cheap/easy feel-fast mods, but it seems to me that one route you might consider is adding lightness, i.e., reducing weight in the car, particularly un-sprung weight, as that will directly impact feel. Since you're not hung up on wider rubber, go for the lightest 14 or 15" wheels you can, and match them with sticky but light rubber. Wilwood BBKs (make sure they work with your wheel of choice) are lighter than stock. V8Roadster control arms are lighter than stock. Your OEM header/exhaust isn't bad, but lighter can be had. Racing buckets are lighter than OEM seats. NA dash with center delete is lighter, too. Lightness gets spendy, quickly, though, or fairly Spartan, as in removal of interior bits. Anyway, making the car as light as possible will definitely increase the zoom zoom factor. You might also consider seam-welding to increase chassis stiffness.