PDA

View Full Version : What’s to come from your newest sponsor!

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Have you ever noticed that fiberglass and carbon parts tend to not fit, and if you are the lucky one that gets a nice piece your friend could order the same part and it be completely different?

My name is Matthew, and Low Life Composites is a new sponsor and a new company looking to change views on the composite industry through education, price, and most of all selling the nicest looking and best fitting products you have seen.

I am Miata specific right now and going to be taking request on what to make. I’ve gotten a lot of great feedback on the few avenues I’ve went to (facebook and reddit) and want to use my sponsorship here to make great group buys and also use it to gauge what you, the community would like to see.

I would like to give you some background on myself so you can see what drives what I am doing here.

I had 2 good composite jobs by the time I turned 18. I worked with my dad along with Callaway Cars. I was a laminator at one and a trimmer at the other. I then got an all in one job at a “leading bodykit maker” I have signed a NDA there and can’t really say there name. But they make all Dura flex junk you see. I was a rapid prototype ASSISTANT there and new about 1,000 times more than the man in charge. I was teaching him and once I started to take over the shop he noticed and slandered my name to the ups. I had a job lined up here in Florida where they would move me out here for a defense aerospace job. I took it and moved to Florida. They were doing things right here which I saw none of at “bodykit maker”. It gave me the drive to save up and start low life on the sole fact every person that came to “bodykit maker” left un happy and I knew a way to make perfect parts at a fraction of the cost.

I will do whatever it takes to make you guys happy. It’s like selling to my family here and I really enjoy it. I have been in the community for about 4 years and love the car I drive (it’s all over the website).

I want everyone to feel free to ask any questions on the process, what I will be making, or what this company can do. I have ordered the last of supplies Tuesday and will start the first couple projects on this coming up Monday along with a group buy.

I am doing this not only to have a great job for me but I hate what this industry has come to. Please take this journey with me and let’s change it.

Matthew Crabtree
Low Life Composites
http://www.lowlifecomposites.com/
https://www.facebook.com/LowLifeRacingComposites

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Here is a small taste of why most kits and parts don't fit. Not only are they made incorrectly but this is how they are stored.

Taken my me.

[URL=http://imageshack.com/i/0j3x2hj/]https://imageshack.com/a/img19/6594/3x2h.jpg

ScratchNSniff
07-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Nice...

tsingson
07-11-2013, 10:09 AM
It would be nice to see a relatively low cost NB1 front lip replacement. But welcome and I look forward to seeing what you can do!

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 10:11 AM
It would be nice to see a relatively low cost NB1 front lip replacement. But welcome and I look forward to seeing what you can do!

I actually just got a NB1 for a test fit so its defiantly on the roster, Thanks for the suggestion it wont go unnoticed!

tsingson
07-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Already taking the right steps!

Phatmiata
07-11-2013, 12:13 PM
I would also like to see a front lip for a Miata (NA), maybe some Carbon Fiber stuff? Also some nice rear ducktail spoilers. Do you have anything you are working on now, or just looking for ideas?

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 12:26 PM
I am working on a GT type spoiler right now. APR makes some nice ones but 1000 for a wing is outrageous. My only issue with a front lip is if you are using it on the street carbon and glass don't like to be "scraped"

SM16RMSM
07-11-2013, 12:35 PM
You mean you can make a fiberglass hood and have it fit exactly like OEM?????? I wanted to make sure I got it right. Is it possible to make a vented hood for NB and I don't have to use wooden shims to raise the one side fender to match the hood? What kind of price range are we talking about here?

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 01:11 PM
You mean you can make a fiberglass hood and have it fit exactly like OEM?????? I wanted to make sure I got it right. Is it possible to make a vented hood for NB and I don't have to use wooden shims to raise the one side fender to match the hood? What kind of price range are we talking about here?

Yes that is exactly what sorts of things I can make. In fact a NB hood would look great vented. Let me make my NA hood first then I will work out what to do with a NB hood

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 01:22 PM
By the way I'm sorry you had a bad carbon experience. If you buy in the future from us it will not be that way.

Agent☣Orange
07-11-2013, 01:51 PM
This is pretty exciting, Matthew! Can't wait to see the new aftermarket offerings!

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks yellow!

RetroModern
07-11-2013, 03:13 PM
they should all come in a brown base color..none of that boring white or light green. :D Welcome!!

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Was actually thinking a hood like this...
And also right over exhaust side a small vent/scoop.

Over on miataturbo's site they have a whole thread dedicated to it. Anyone care to have one here. Would want the hood to be very functional.

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 03:16 PM
That's funny! Yeah my tooling gel coat is black i cant add pigment! Darn wish i would have gotten white to make it brown!

SM16RMSM
07-11-2013, 03:18 PM
By the way I'm sorry you had a bad carbon experience. If you buy in the future from us it will not be that way.

I don't consider it as a bad experience. I thought that since this is a mass production item, fit was going to be a slight issue. I came to find out it was more of a issue than what I considered. I kinda like it honestly and my dad wanted it too. It nice and the fit isn't horrible. When first installed, the driver side was sitting about a 1/8" too low at the middle of the fender (like right above the wheel arc) and the passenger side sat really high, about 3/8" at the windshield. When the cowl panel was installed, the driver side came to sit pretty much flush with the fender and the passenger side needed shims. Since my car was already in the body shop for being hit from behind, I had him make the tweeks to make it fit. The only thing wasn't tweekable is the gap in the front between the front bumper and hood. There is a fingernail gap there. Was slightly bigger but he pulled the front bumper up to close the gap some. With the hood, I get more looks and people will say something about how nice it looks. I also get more cars wanting to race me from time to time. The biggest difference it made is with the A/C. At idle, my air would start to warm up in 95 degree weather. Now, it will stay the same temperature. The air also gets colder quicker and gets more cooler than before. For me, the pros outweigh the cons.

Also, the hood is fiberglass with a carbon fiber overlay on top then clear coated. Plus it weighs in about the same at the factory hood or more.

Phatmiata
07-11-2013, 03:20 PM

Over on miataturbo's site they have a whole thread dedicated to it. Anyone care to have one here. Would want the hood to be very functional.

I want that Voltex Air Splitter hahahha

SM16RMSM
07-11-2013, 03:21 PM

T thing it would look weird of a NB, I think it great looking on a NA. It also a popular hood design.

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 03:21 PM
I can make em you just have to drive a truck so it cant hit anything.

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 03:23 PM
A hood for a NB would be very fun to make. I just want to be more on the science side so it actually does what you bought it for. I will be looking over the pressure and air spots soon and doing some testing.

jhuckstead
07-11-2013, 03:26 PM
I am working on a GT type spoiler right now. APR makes some nice ones but 1000 for a wing is outrageous. My only issue with a front lip is if you are using it on the street carbon and glass don't like to be "scraped"

My fiberglass front lip liked to explode when it came in contact with the road... Lowered cars + Fiberglass 1.5" from ground = bad news unless you like patching and painting every 2 weeks...

On my Integra, I had urethane body kit and it was bullet proof. I did carbon on the hood and hatch and it was amazing... I almost sprung for the carbon fiber doors, but the price was

S
T
E
E
P...

I am interested in what a set of CF Doors for an NA Miata would be...

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 03:29 PM
My fiberglass front lip liked to explode when it came in contact with the road... Lowered cars + Fiberglass 1.5" from ground = bad news unless you like patching and painting every 2 weeks...

On my Integra, I had urethane body kit and it was bullet proof. I did carbon on the hood and hatch and it was amazing... I almost sprung for the carbon fiber doors, but the price was

S
T
E
E
P...

I am interested in what a set of CF Doors for an NA Miata would be...

That would defiantly have to be down the road.. A skin wouldn't be difficult (nor would a whole door) but the price would be high. Not like 1000 but most likely 4-600.

And when i do make them I will show where all cost comes from. Not just post some outrageous price and then be like well its a door, yo.

Demon I Am
07-11-2013, 04:09 PM
I would really love to see someone make a Garage Hundred One trunk. No one has done one yet for mass production.

http://hundredone.cocolog-nifty.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/06/03/dsc09676.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m42/greasem0nkey86/car%20crap/dsc090929bh.jpg

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 04:41 PM
What would be a reason for the trunk like that? Just looks or?

Demon I Am
07-11-2013, 04:49 PM
because gorgeous lines

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Have any more pictures?

SM16RMSM
07-11-2013, 06:09 PM
A hood for a NB would be very fun to make. I just want to be more on the science side so it actually does what you bought it for. I will be looking over the pressure and air spots soon and doing some testing.

When you need a NB 01-05 hood, let me know, I still have the factory one off my car. It is off a 2004 MSM. It would be the best test subject for getting the first layer made.

The Hundred One Miata deck lid is awesome. I would consider getting one for the MSM if I can get my hands on a J-Spec Mazdaspeed Spoiler. But, sadly to say, I rather keep the LED third brake light since Orlando has a bunch of idiot drivers who text while driving. I like my flashing third brake light. From the looks of it, it was most likely design to create less drag. Don't know if it would work.

brownmiata
07-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Anyone interested in carbon mud flaps? Clearly for a car that was not so low. Maybe I could make "shorty flaps" just cut them like 1" from the rear bumper

pacman 99
07-11-2013, 11:24 PM
NB flat inner door panels.

People have been begging for these for years and nobody has come through. We only have 2-3 options out there and the prices range from $600-$1100.

D-technique is my favorite, but has a whopping $1,100 price tag for the bare shell.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq266/frivera2121/D-techniqueNBdoorpanels_zps9c419afb.jpg

Nakamae are a bit flatter with a more retro look. Runs about $750.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq266/frivera2121/NakamaeNBdoorpanels_zpscecc832f.jpg

Lightyear one off piece. Not for sell but I like how these wrap around the edge of the door like the OEM door panels.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq266/frivera2121/LightYearoneoff_zps6cce05d2.jpg

DG Motorsports makes some but they aren't truly flat and has some crazy design.

http://www.dgmotorsports.com/images/miata_doorpanel.jpg

I really think there is a market for these. People usually have to cut up their door panels to fit door bars and there's always the crowd looking to shed some weight.

imperfekt
07-12-2013, 02:30 AM
Omg garage hundred trunk is niceyy...

And I'm not sure how popular it'd be, but an NA hood with the headlight covers moulded in? I guess it's an autoX thing, but ISC racing makes one but you can still see the gap lines between the covers an hood on their version...

A short rear bumper because Simpson designs' is like 700 bucks... :)

Phatmiata
07-12-2013, 09:06 AM
I like the Voltex Wing, and the Trunk on the Blue GHO Roadster, also I like the 1st and 2nd picture of the NB slim line doors, looks much better than stock. The DG one looks too overdone, less is more you know.

brownmiata
07-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Will defiantly add door cards to the pack. Only thing is how to mount. I don't think screwing it in would be nice looking. It would have to be fastened inside looking like stock fasteners will have to be ordered!

Phatmiata
07-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Nielex Metal Door panels had screwed in door panel fasteners instead of the plastic push clips, maybe add a neoprene washer to keep the noise down?

brownmiata
07-12-2013, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't think people would like screws. But if its okay that would be fine by me. Or I could just sell them as full panels and the buyer could cut what they want, mount how they want.

brownmiata
07-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Think*

pacman 99
07-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Your right. The screws wouldn't look right. It's the only thing I hate about the D-technique door panels.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq266/frivera2121/tdi01_zps1e9ed9d8.jpg

I would recommend making the panels go over the edge like the OEM so they can be clipped on using the OEM rivets on the sides. The one hole that is fine being on the door panel exposed would be the one that gets hidden by the dash when the door is closed.

I like the idea of not making any holes and making the customer decide what to do with it since they are so many options like.... hole or no hole for speaker, one screw or two holes for pull strap. Also, Door handles are in different positions for 99-00 and 01-05.

If you can incorporate the rubber seal that sits inbetween the door panels and the glass window that would be great. Not sure how its mounted to the door panel but it would be nice to remove that two piece rubber seal and attach it to the new door panels.

brownmiata
07-12-2013, 08:08 PM
I understood all of that but the last paragraph. Where would the rubber seal be? If you are talking about the top window seal that actually touches the window I wouldn't be making that you would use your stock one unless a full carbon door card and "top hat?" was asked for.

brownmiata
07-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Your right. The screws wouldn't look right. It's the only thing I hate about the D-technique door panels.

I would recommend making the panels go over the edge like the OEM so they can be clipped on using the OEM rivets on the sides. The one hole that is fine being on the door panel exposed would be the one that gets hidden by the dash when the door is closed.

I like the idea of not making any holes and making the customer decide what to do with it since they are so many options like.... hole or no hole for speaker, one screw or two holes for pull strap. Also, Door handles are in different positions for 99-00 and 01-05.

If you can incorporate the rubber seal that sits inbetween the door panels and the glass window that would be great. Not sure how its mounted to the door panel but it would be nice to remove that two piece rubber seal and attach it to the new door panels.

I see you we're on topic of NB door cards. I will have to see when my NB gets here what you are talking about.

Tungsten6
07-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Lower price lips for NB2.
I had a Touge run lip on my car for about 3 months. It was around $210 shipped which I wouldn't normally mind paying, but it only lasted 3 months.

My car is far from Miata world slammed but its pretty low. The material that the lip was made of though, was absolute garbage. It was strong, but it didnt flex when it scraped so It got destroyed. Very quickly.

I would like a Polyurethane lip for a NB2 that is GV style

And why this one went out of production I have no idea, NB1 lip for NB2 bumpers.

Tungsten6
07-12-2013, 09:03 PM
If you need a NB2 for testing let me know, I don't live to far away.

pacman 99
07-12-2013, 09:45 PM
I understood all of that but the last paragraph. Where would the rubber seal be? If you are talking about the top window seal that actually touches the window I wouldn't be making that you would use your stock one unless a full carbon door card and "top hat?" was asked for.

Yes. The top window seal. Not asking to replicate it. Just saying to leave a way to mount the stock ones onto yours.

I see you we're on topic of NB door cards. I will have to see when my NB gets here what you are talking about.

Side rivets

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq266/frivera2121/bf3da31d-12c2-4cd9-8ba9-376554d6e36d_zps00e2b8b4.jpg

Rivet hidden by dash when door closed.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq266/frivera2121/7ef56ee9-6a05-4697-b6c9-5b2b0d5b3c94_zps87cc281a.jpg

cbaylis77
07-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Glad to see so much interest for NBs. There's already plenty of options on the market for NAs.

SM16RMSM
07-13-2013, 08:23 AM

If the door is closed, you won't be able to see then. It also makes it look more like a race car too. :fab::burnout:

SteelReign
07-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Very cool work. One thing that I always wanted for my NB2 was a good looking rear diffuser:

http://www.re-amemiya.co.jp/commodity/image/01_fd_aero/diffuser.jpg

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/apr_rear_diffuser_s2c.jpg

I'm also pretty close (Gainesville, FL) and our local club is more than willing to be test dummies! (http://gnvmiatas.net/forum.php). Check us out on facebook too!

vote4pedro
07-13-2013, 08:33 PM
It would be cool if you could produce an actual useable cf hardtop
for the NA/NB's.

There is something else I would like to see if you could make.
But it might be a 'one off' though, so I will PM you.

brownmiata
07-13-2013, 08:35 PM
A carbon hardtop would be doable. Not I the near future though. I will have to get an OEM one first.

As for a rear diffuser. It's in the works.

Hyper
07-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Have you ever noticed that fiberglass and carbon parts tend to not fit, and if you are the lucky one that gets a nice piece your friend could order the same part and it be completely different?

My name is Matthew, and Low Life Composites is a new sponsor and a new company looking to change views on the composite industry through education, price, and most of all selling the nicest looking and best fitting products you have seen.

I am Miata specific right now and going to be taking request on what to make. I’ve gotten a lot of great feedback on the few avenues I’ve went to (facebook and reddit) and want to use my sponsorship here to make great group buys and also use it to gauge what you, the community would like to see.

I would like to give you some background on myself so you can see what drives what I am doing here.

I had 2 good composite jobs by the time I turned 18. I worked with my dad along with Callaway Cars. I was a laminator at one and a trimmer at the other. I then got an all in one job at a “leading bodykit maker” I have signed a NDA there and can’t really say there name. But they make all Dura flex junk you see. I was a rapid prototype ASSISTANT there and new about 1,000 times more than the man in charge. I was teaching him and once I started to take over the shop he noticed and slandered my name to the ups. I had a job lined up here in Florida where they would move me out here for a defense aerospace job. I took it and moved to Florida. They were doing things right here which I saw none of at “bodykit maker”. It gave me the drive to save up and start low life on the sole fact every person that came to “bodykit maker” left un happy and I knew a way to make perfect parts at a fraction of the cost.

I will do whatever it takes to make you guys happy. It’s like selling to my family here and I really enjoy it. I have been in the community for about 4 years and love the car I drive (it’s all over the website).

I want everyone to feel free to ask any questions on the process, what I will be making, or what this company can do. I have ordered the last of supplies Tuesday and will start the first couple projects on this coming up Monday along with a group buy.

I am doing this not only to have a great job for me but I hate what this industry has come to. Please take this journey with me and let’s change it.

Matthew Crabtree
Low Life Composites
http://www.lowlifecomposites.com/
https://www.facebook.com/LowLifeRacingComposites

I like your drive dude, stay in this path and don't look back. Congratulations!!!

SteelReign
07-13-2013, 09:17 PM
As for a rear diffuser. It's in the works.

Awesome. I look forward to seeing it!

Photographybyconor
07-14-2013, 01:45 PM
I am looking forward seeing that front NB lip! Not many options out there

Phatmiata
07-19-2013, 12:16 PM
maybe consider some smaller parts first, the shipping is gonna kill you on hardtops, and hoods IMHO.

Maybe do some small interior exterior parts?

brownmiata
07-19-2013, 12:18 PM
maybe consider some smaller parts first, the shipping is gonna kill you on hardtops, and hoods IMHO.

Maybe do some small interior exterior parts?

Yeah small first is the name of the game. I've been working on some pieces today I start working the shorty console. Any ideas?

Phatmiata
07-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Ill email you some ideas :slayer:

wannafbody
07-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Maybe some type of NA rear finish panel ala TRAP but maybe with dual tail lights on each side.

imperfekt
07-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Maybe some type of NA rear finish panel ala TRAP but maybe with dual tail lights on each side.

this... and TRAPs flat rear bumper is:
pretty...
pretty expensive...
pretty hard to acquire...
...and pretty.

:)

94R
07-24-2013, 11:18 PM
I'm looking for something to cover up the crack on the front plastic portion of my dash (94, air bag equipped). I'm thinking of buying a sheet of ABS plastic, cutting it to size, w/ holes cut out for the defogging vents and VIN plate, then cover it w/ vinyl and just siliconing it over the cracked plastic portion of the dash. But, I wouldn't mind a carbon panel instead if one were available. :)

brownmiata
07-24-2013, 11:20 PM
I believe I know where you are talking about. I will see tomorrow about taking out my dash:)

tanakapz
07-24-2013, 11:44 PM
I'm on the same page for NB flat door panels. A few of us have been begging for a nice looking flat NB door panel and no one has come up with anything yet..there's a huge market for it. Makes seat and doorbar installs SO much easier, plus it looks nice and adds space to the cabin.

brownmiata
07-24-2013, 11:46 PM
I was held up on getting an NB. Should be here within the next few days. Will make that number one priority.

imperfekt
07-24-2013, 11:50 PM
glad to hear someone mention that plastic dash part up by the windshield, mine is also cracked right in half... and it sucks that a replacement is a few hundred bucks -.-

brownmiata
07-24-2013, 11:51 PM
glad to hear someone mention that plastic dash part up by the windshield, mine is also cracked right in half... and it sucks that a replacement is a few hundred bucks -.-

Have any info on how it mounts?

imperfekt
07-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Have any info on how it mounts?

I've had my dash out a couple times over the past couple weeks - I believe you have to remove the entire dash and it screws to the underside of the dash.

Photographybyconor
07-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Are there any NB radiator support covers in the future?

wannafbody
07-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Are there any NB radiator support covers in the future?

Other companies already make that product.

HELLIONMX5
10-04-2013, 10:41 AM
any updates. I am having trouble looking through this thread.... it's not letting me go to page 2-5...

Hyper
10-04-2013, 12:23 PM
please make the NB GV front lip replica in urethane at cheaper price, the ones on EBay run so cheap, but they are made exclusively for NA miatas.