PDA

View Full Version : throttle problems 2001

Photographybyconor
07-17-2013, 08:37 PM
i just got a 2001 with 34k on it and when the gas is low and i make a sharp turn the throttle is not responsive like the car ran out of gas but if i am still rolling i can push start it and it will fire back up. has happened a few times and i think its just low gas levels but i have never herd of this happening. i put gas in and it stops. has anyone else had this problem? any ideas on what it could be?

kung fu jesus
07-18-2013, 11:33 AM
It's called fuel slosh. When the tank is low, the cornering forces push the fuel to one side, away from the fuel pump, causing it to starve. Most track/autox people will keep their Miatas at between 1/4 to 1/2 tank to prevent this in high-speed corners. The more expensive route is to baffle the tank or all another fuel pickup.

Demon I Am
07-18-2013, 11:36 AM
as a rule, try to keep the tank above 1/8

Agent☣Orange
07-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Yep, fuel starvation. Miata isn't the only one either. Found out the 370Z (and possibly it's Infinity G37 relative) will stall during long, right turns, i.e. highway onramps if the tank is 1/4 or below.

I don't think the stock Miata fuel gauge is accurate when it's that low anyway. You shouldn't be spinning your fuel pump with no fuel anyway so just consider the 1/4 mark as "Empty" and try to keep at least half a tank all the time.

Photographybyconor
07-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks guys! I have to fix my float so I know how much gas I really have

Photographybyconor
08-09-2013, 06:24 PM
My CEL just turned on and came up with the code p0172 system too rich bank 1. The car sputters and the gas level is half a tank so I not running low. Has anyone else had this problem? I have a friend who is going to help me clean the egr valve. He said it might be a clogged line. Has anyone else had this problem and was it a clogged egr line?

Hyper
08-09-2013, 08:55 PM

drive the car to 1/4 tank

remove cluster.

proceed to move needle related to fuel tank gauge all the way to empty

put everything back

forget about it.

if you want ask a friend to do this for you so that you never know it was intentionally done.

Photographybyconor
08-09-2013, 09:33 PM
it sputters randomly and bogs out from a dead stop since the CEL came on, thats what im tryimg to fix now

Left0verCurry
08-17-2013, 04:30 PM
1. Clean and inspect MAF
2. Clean and inspect O2 Sensors
3. Clean EGR